Ok - What is your SO's favorite American Music

I thought it was an interesting question Mick asked about our SO's TV shows. I thought maybe start a separate thread for their tast and favorite American artist. Yan enjoys comtemporary music and oldies. She enjoys the Beach Boys and Kenny G. I thought I might introduce her to Issac Hayes one night ....haha :P :ph34r:

Mariah Carey is her idol. She also likes to a lesser degree Britney, Avril and the Dixie Chicks.

She dosen't like rap or hard rock but we can compromise on Red Hot Chili Peppers... I thank heavens she isn't into Kenny G.

Outside of American Music, she has more interests, tho'. Sammi Chen, Faye Wang and her other Idol, Japanese superstar Ayumi Hamasaki.

Mife doesn't listen to much western music - she tends to stick with the the Chinese pop music. I remember when we first met - I asked her if she likes the Beatles...she said 'who?'

The Chinese music I tend to listen to is Wong Faye, and some of the classical stuff.

Guest ShaQuaNew
I thought it was an interesting question Mick asked about our SO's TV shows.  I thought maybe start a separate thread for their tast and favorite American artist. Yan enjoys comtemporary music and oldies.  She enjoys the Beach Boys and Kenny G.  I thought I might introduce her to Issac Hayes one night ....haha :lol:  :ph34r:

146038[/snapback]

She loves a good deal of American Music....but is particularly fond of:

Sarah Brightman....

....As with many Chinese, she and her daughter have an extensive CD and DVD collection.....They both seem to like a good deal of Chinese music but tell me there is a lot of good music coming out of Korea, Japan, Singapore, and other Asian countries.....I like many of the melodies, but can only understand bits of it.....

I'm working getting her to listen to AC/DC, but don't think she's liking it.... B) :lol:

Edited by fitnlivly (see edit history)

Li likes a wide range of music but generally, soft rock his her favorite overall. She also likes most of the oldies. If I had to pick her favorite artist, I guess it would be the rock group Journey. I have to concur. Big Steven Perry fan here. Great voice!

my hippychick's music has a huge range between Linkin Park AC/DC to Massive Attack and Portishead, Astrud Gilberto, Stan Getz, Dave Brubeck for western jams.... B)

sad to admit she listens to some Hip-Hop beats as well including Snoop and DRE... :ph34r:

she likes a bunch of chinese artists as well including Faye Wong and a bunch of names i am still unfamiliar with.

Agree with Tom. Yin likes to watch contemporary modern pop Chinese singers. (CCTV's, "Happy Show, which features new singers.)

However, her favorite music is opera. Most esp. Italian. This love of music stems from her being trained from 14 years of age through college of Bel Canto opera technique. I was surprised when one night she sang for me. I have seen the opera Carmen twice. I was very surprised that she was able to sing accurately several of the scenes from memory. She sang for about 20 minutes, until the security guard in the apartment complex, stopped by and told her she had to sing quieter. Guess some people don't enjoy opera.

I thought it was an interesting question Mick asked about our SO's TV shows.  I thought maybe start a separate thread for their tast and favorite American artist.

She loves a good deal of American Music....but is particularly fond of:

Sarah Brightman....

Isn't Sarah Brightman British?

Not quite sure what is typical American Music. My favorite goes to bossa nova & Jazz and I have a collection of Astrud Gilberto, Stan Getz, Lisa Ono, laura fygi and Michael buble.

Mife doesn't listen to much western music - she tends to stick with the the Chinese pop music. I remember when we first met - I asked her if she likes the Beatles...she said 'who?'

The Chinese music I tend to listen to is Wong Faye, and some of the classical stuff.

146076[/snapback]

That's weird..everyone is crazy about the Beatles especially for gals in China at least they are very well-known band ever.

That's weird..everyone is crazy about the Beatles especially for gals in China at least they are very well-known band ever.

146967[/snapback]

I thought that was wierd too...at first. I understood better when we switched places.

We were in the airport at Guangzhou when I saw a huge display poster of a guy's face in a clothing store's window. I mentioned something about it, and my wife said 'That's Andy Lau' (she actually said his Chinese name, which I don't remember at the moment). When said 'Who's Andy Lau?' she gave me a kind of a strange look 'He's very famous' she said.

I didn't even know who Wong Fay (or Faye Wong) was until I chose her CD from a Beijing CD store just because I liked the cover photo.

My wife did know who Michael Jackson was, though. :toot:

My lady likes all music. She likes country music also, I grew up liking R&B

and Jazz, some rock and most other music but Country music is not one of them or heavy metal for that matter. I asked her if we can get headphones when she wants to listen to it when i'm around. I listen to a lot of Christian music and Gospel now, so I'm glad she likes it also.