eeeewwww!! trains in China are NOT the oriental express, they go slow,stop at everything along the way, hardly any room, Chinese men stare at you,the toilet is well......you know aim good!! if you need to do #2...do it before or else sqeeze your cheeks and HOLD IT!!!!!!

i took a 4 hour train from BJ to Tian jin, boat to dalian,6 hour train to Laoyang,then a 14 hour train to BJ, no more trains for me!!! i will fly the red skies for now on!!

David

We took Hainan Airlines from Beijing to GUZ last week and it cost us $850 each plus $50 for the airport fee a piece. In total $900 RMB if you want to save time but not money.

144278[/snapback]

I'm glad you snuck in "RMB" in the second pricing.. I began to hear the whistle for the train !! ;)

How much advance was that ticket?

We decided to leave Beijing the night before and got the tickets in our hands around 9:30 PM for a 9:00 AM flight the next day. There wasn't any advance planning. I don't know if that's expensive or not but my SO always does the old haggle approach. Don't try to book any flights through a hotel in any city or you'll pay their premium. After Guz we went to another city and stayed in a hotel where her friend worked. When it was time to fly back to her home town she asked her friend to help us book a flight. Her friend did not use the hotel's travel agency! The other thing is that when you have to book a hotel room it's cheaper for her to book and pay for it in RMB then for you to charge it. For example one hotel's cheapest room would have cost me 328 RMB per day. It cost her 185 RMB per day. If you go up to the registration as well they'll insist that it should be under your name as well so try to stay away until all the paperwork is done. In all the hotels we stayed at we had one king size bed so they knew there was going to be two people in the room. Just let the registration and the bell hop do their thing before showing up if you can.

We decided to leave Beijing the night before and got the tickets in our hands around 9:30 PM for a 9:00 AM flight the next day. There wasn't any advance planning. I don't know if that's expensive or not but my SO always does the old haggle approach. Don't try to book any flights through a hotel in any city or you'll pay their premium. After Guz we went to another city and stayed in a hotel where her friend worked. When it was time to fly back to her home town she asked her friend to help us book a flight. Her friend did not use the hotel's travel agency! The other thing is that when you have to book a hotel room it's cheaper for her to book and pay for it in RMB then for you to charge it. For example one hotel's cheapest room would have cost me 328 RMB per day. It cost her 185 RMB per day. If you go up to the registration as well they'll insist that it should be under your name as well so try to stay away until all the paperwork is done. In all the hotels we stayed at we had one king size bed so they knew there was going to be two people in the room. Just let the registration and the bell hop do their thing before showing up if you can.

144285[/snapback]

thanks for all the advice !!!

David, do we have to make an appointment to go to the medical or just show up?

Bill

144301[/snapback]

I had my SO call the hospital... didn't seem to need an appt.. but we are [attempting it] in BJ, where there will be less people competing for a physical.

If your doing it in GUZ, there are many listed on 001 and CFL who will be trying to get the exam. SO, I would call ahead, even to confirm the expedite service being available with so many having exams.

Here's the FAQ with a link so you can get phone numbers, or in case you want to try it in Shanghai, someone wrote it up...

Q.1.15 Where can I get my medical exam?

A.1.15.1

Consulate Guangzhou website:

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzho...edicalexam.html

A.1.15.2

GUZ Hospitals:

- Health Care Center of Guangdong International Travel, 33 Shamian North Street, on Shamian Island, by the Victory Hotel. It is just down the street from the Consulate. The physical. 800 RMB and 100 RMB extra for one day rush. The other hospital is supposed to be cheaper and a very short taxi ride or walk (First Hospital of Guangzhou Medical College. 600 RMB)

A.1.15.3

My fiancée also went to the Hospital near the Consulate. She arrived at 9:00 AM in the morning and received her results by 5:00 PM the same day. She paid 100 RMB for expedited service. The exam was 800 RMB.

A.15.4

My wife went to the non-Shamian hospital. She was then informed that she needed to have injections done (Not sure about the requirements of these injections. She is CR1 and was told she needed them, at least the first of a set of three injections. The subsequent injections can be gotten in the US.). The only hospital that does the injections is the one on Shamian. So she had her body check at the non-Shamian hospital, and then she went to the Shamian hospital to have the injections.

A.1.15.5

Shanghai Hospital Procedure explained:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10744&hl=

I 'll just comment on Guangzhou. I haven't heard of any appointment needed in GUZ. On 33 North Shamian just show up early at 8:30 or 9:00 AM if you want to pay the extra 100 RMB in order to expedite the results so that you can pick it up the next day.

I'll let David comment on Beijing's medical facilities.