An Impressionable Child

Hi folks,

My wife had a doctor's appointment this past Thursay and she took her daughter along.

My wife has a bit of a thyroid condition but it is all under control.

At this doctor's appointment, her daughter accompanied her to the examination room. The doctor was talking, apparently to both of them, about thyroids and heredity and how the daughter could get the same condition. The doctor even talked about diabetes and how it is a heredity thing too.

Well, this has apparantly left an enormous impression on the girl and now she thinks she has everything from diabetes to high blood pressure! She has it in her head that she may be ill and she's driving her mother up the wall aboout it.

I try to talk to her and tell her that she is a perfectly normal, healthy 14 year old female! I say to her that you are too young to worry about such things. Leave the worrying to us grown-ups!...lol.

She is really obsessed over this thing and I don't know how to ease her mind.

I am really upset with that doctor to be so irresponsible in telling this to a minor.

Oh well, I'll guess will get thru it!...Children ARE really impressionable, aren't they?............ :P

My wife and kids seem to think that anybody is any position of authority must be listened to. I suspect this is more a cultural thing for the Chinese than for an American.

When the doctor says something to my step daughter KK who is pregnant, KK accepts it as gospel. It might be something as trivial as "you need another ultrasound this week." To KK, that means "something is wrong, so we need to find out what it is." I have asked the doctor to always tell KK that everything is fine. Maybe you could ask your wife's doc to tell your daughter the same thing. Not that you are not in a position of authority, but the doc's words may carry a bit more weight.

If that fails, ask the doc for a placebo to give her to ease her mind. :P

That is one lame DR. But, like Frank said Chinese are programmed into litening to and believing any authority figure. The solution is simple--she belived the DR before so she will believe him again--call him, set up an apointment and have him undo what he has done--

That is a Chinese thing? All most all my friends go nuts after getting all the medication warnings from the doctor. Half of them think death is approaching because the doctor is required to explain what might show in a test or what complications might result from minor surgery.

Every thing is over done here to the max is it any wonder that people from a country where explanations are not sought would go bonkers over overload. It isn't jusat medical.

I think telling the doctor that is a good idea. I do think your step-daughter is impressionable because she is from China- when I was 14 (and I think many American teenagers are like this)- I didn't believe anything anyone told me- and I thought I was invincible. I also think that Chinese people, or some, are afraid of being unhealthy and tend to blow things out of proportion. My husband is like that. He is very worried about his health all the time and when we go to the doctor- even if I say things are fine- he needs to hear from the doctor that everything is fine.

Yue is pregnant now so we have been experiencing some of this. I tell her watching TV is not bad for the baby. Bad for you maybe, but not bad for the baby. :D She tells me "you not doctor!" Ok so I try to remember to tell the doctor to tell her this or that is not bad, it's ok to move the bed, eating eggs will not produce girl children (as though I cared). I need to keep a notebook :D Bottom line she won't believe me, but she will believe him.

My husband is like that. He is very worried about his health all the time and when we go to the doctor- even if I say things are fine- he needs to hear from the doctor that everything is fine.

141858[/snapback]

My fiance is very much like this too- He takes his temperature every night and every other week seems to come up with some new disease he is sure that he has.

I think a lot Chinese people are hypochondriacs....

Anyways I think you should get yr daughter in for a check-up and she can hear from another doctor that she is perfectly fine.. that will hopefully let her stop worrying about it.

That is one lame DR. But, like Frank said Chinese are programmed into litening to and believing any authority figure. The solution is simple--she belived the DR before so she will believe him again--call him, set up an apointment and have him undo what he has done--

141832[/snapback]

agreed... get the doctor appointment, even if he has to do an exam, and to tell her that she is in excellent health and nothing to think about...

Sorry guys and gals, I do not think that the doc did anything wrong..

141986[/snapback]

the concern is for the girl, not the doctor.

141989[/snapback]

Everytime my SO has a problem she ask me if I gave her disease lol. She says the mouth has to be clean to prevent diseases through out the body. I remember when she actually tried to open my mouth and inspect my teeth when I first went to Nanning. Pimples are a big concern also, can't seem to find the right stuff to apply to the face. I made certain that the doctor she has is fluent in Chinese and English so the Doctor can explain things to her I can't.

Everytime my SO has a problem she ask me if I gave her disease lol. She says the mouth has to be clean to prevent diseases through out the body. I remember when she actually tried to open my mouth and inspect my teeth0„2 when I first went to Nanning. Pimples are a big concern also, can't seem to find the right stuff to apply to the face. I made certain that the doctor she has is fluent in Chinese and English so the Doctor can explain things to her I can't.

142019[/snapback]

A product with salicylic acid (for pimples) like L'Oreal Pure Zone. Or showering twice a day might keep her very happy.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I agree with the concensus, take her back to the DR.

In a lot of ways ShuPing is a bit of a rebel. When she visited the doctor here for the first time, we found out the baby was very healthy, but ShuPing's blood sugar was pretty high. Come to find out after a few tests, that she had gestational diabeties (diabetes that goes away after pregnancy).

They sent us to the diabetes clinic and we got informed on nutrition and diet and how to do the blood test. We went and bought the tester and the right foods, but she kept telling me not to spend the money on it. She was sure the baby was fine and we shouldn't waste the money. I had to insist that we buy the stuff and monitor her blood sugar very closely.

ShuPing was supposed to keep track of everything she ate and eat it in the right amounts and test her blood 4 times a day and record all of it. Meanwhile I ran off to work everyday and she blew it off half the time. I never could get her to understand that the doctors really were concerned about this. In the end she was right and it was not neccessary, the baby was born extremely healthy.

However, she informed me that she could not take a bath or shower for 1 month after the baby was born. We could not take the baby anywhere for 1 month (except to see the doc). She ate eggs, hominey and rice like it was going out of style and all because, "This is Chinese ways for mama and baby."

My wife and kids seem to think that anybody is any position of authority must be listened to. I suspect this is more a cultural thing for the Chinese than for an American.

When the doctor says something to my step daughter KK who is pregnant, KK accepts it as gospel.  It might be something as trivial as "you need another ultrasound this week."  To KK, that means "something is wrong, so we need to find out what it is."  I have asked the doctor to always tell KK that everything is fine.  Maybe you could ask your wife's doc to tell your daughter the same thing.  Not that you are not in a position of authority, but the doc's words may carry a bit more weight.

If that fails, ask the doc for a placebo to give her to ease her mind. :greenblob:

141829[/snapback]

Can't always trust the "Doctor."

My doctor wanted to put me on high blood

pressure medication. So I lost 20 pounds and

the high blood pressure.

I think he just wanted to make $$$.