Let's go!! Let the Times know

Please read the NY Times articles from the last few days that are posted on the board regarding INS and DOS actions. I haven't seen much of a reaction to this shocking information. Come on people, here is a major media source that is already interested in the topic! Let them know that the few of us that have already written to them are not just a few nut cases. They need responses to know that there is a real problem.

I already have an e-mail letter out to Mr. Broder informing him that there are that many American citizens awaiting already approved visa applications.

I checked the article files and it seems that the NY Times has recently taken an interest in the immigration fiasco. We have been searching for an interested media source. Well here it is. Get some letters out to them encouraging them to investigate this situation. They are a national, actually an international paper, so it doesn't matter that you don't live in NY.

John M. Broder

National Desk

The New York Times, 229 West 43rd Street, New

York, New York 10036

national@nytimes.com

washington@nytimes.com

Once again, Owen is absolutely correct. Longtime NY Times readers all know that once they hit a topic, it seems to take on a life of its own, and related stories concerning that topic start getting run on a daily basis. E-mail them NOW, and tell them about OUR story!!! How much easier could it get? Now is the perfect time to get our message heard. Owen has already provided the addresses!!

Owen and all,

Please post your letter on the board, so the rest of us linguistically challenged can cut and paste on our own letters.

Sir Owen, Knight of the Northern Realm, Champion of Justice and Slayer of Ignorance, Designated Royal speech writer. :rolleyes:

Perhaps it should be posted in the info section, and be categorized, say, to DOS, GZ, Whitehouse, NYT, ...

The power is in the numbers!

Sy

As I posted earlier today in response to the original thread, I am already at work composing such a letter to John Broder. I think we should all send in our own visa delay story. Mr. Broder has uncovered a story. Let's give him the amunition to do follow ups. I have 6 hours of driving ahead of me for now, but I should have my letter ready tomorrow.

This could be one of the breaks we have been waiting for to get our stories to the media and educate Americans concerining this fiasco. Let's give the NY Times our stories and let the people know that 90,000 documents in not just a number, but that there is a real person with a real destroyed life behind each shred of paper.

I intend to also post my letter on this board, but this is one time when each of us will have to insert his own unique story into the body of the letter. Use the form of the letter and any parts if you like, but try to make yours unique so that Mr. Broder will have more to work with. I suspect you will probably see Owen's letter and a few others posted also.

I will post an example, but really folks, you don't have to be a master at writing to make a difference. In fact, if they see the same thing over and over, they will be suspicious. If anything I tend towards being too long winded for what we want to accomplish here. The longer more detailed letters that I tend to do are good for establishing the reason there is a problem. Your personal, shorter letters expressing concern over the issue are what is needed in order for them to see the human interest side of this.

It doesn't have to be long or perfect prose to be effective. Write your own paragraph or two that expresses how you feel and send it. It will have the desired effect better than cut and pasting. Just write like you would speak in telling others about your plight. The reporters get paid for putting the story together and for crafting the right words. They don't expect your letter to be perfect. Nobody is grading you on this.

I will post an example, but really folks, you don't have to be a master at writing to make a difference.  In fact, if they see the same thing over and over, they will be suspicious.  If anything I tend towards being too long winded for what we want to accomplish here.  The longer more detailed letters that I tend to do are good for establishing the reason there is a problem.  Your personal, shorter letters expressing concern over the issue are what is needed in order for them to see the human interest side of this. 

It doesn't have to be long or perfect prose to be effective.  Write your own paragraph or two that expresses how you feel and send it.  It will have the desired effect better than cut and pasting.  Just write like you would speak in telling others about your plight.  The reporters get paid for putting the story together and for crafting the right words.  They don't expect your letter to be perfect.  Nobody is grading you on this.

This is my letter..

State Department.. Situation FUBAR. stop.

Visa? Gotta be kidding ! Stop.

Average wait time... 2 weeks ( Saturn weeks ). Stop

FBI ? Well, let's not get there.. You dig it up.. stop.

Proof? Sure !....www.candleforlove.com. Stop

Sincerely.

A few words I think would sum it up for a good reporter :-)

I will post an example, but really folks, you don't have to be a master at writing to make a difference.  In fact, if they see the same thing over and over, they will be suspicious.  If anything I tend towards being too long winded for what we want to accomplish here.  The longer more detailed letters that I tend to do are good for establishing the reason there is a problem.  Your personal, shorter letters expressing concern over the issue are what is needed in order for them to see the human interest side of this. 

It doesn't have to be long or perfect prose to be effective.  Write your own paragraph or two that expresses how you feel and send it.  It will have the desired effect better than cut and pasting.  Just write like you would speak in telling others about your plight.  The reporters get paid for putting the story together and for crafting the right words.  They don't expect your letter to be perfect.  Nobody is grading you on this.

Owen makes a good point here. If a reporter sees a lot of letters that look and sound alike, he may think he is being sent the same letter over and over again, with minor alterations. Actually, the shorter the better. I am sure Mr.Broder is pretty busy. Just make your letters personal and to the point. Put some emotion behind it as well. I think he will be more impressed by content than by grammar, punctuation, and rhetorical skills. Speak from your heart and guy. Let him know you are being treated unfairly and that you are hurting.

I will post an example, but really folks, you don't have to be a master at writing to make a difference.  In fact, if they see the same thing over and over, they will be suspicious.  If anything I tend towards being too long winded for what we want to accomplish here.  The longer more detailed letters that I tend to do are good for establishing the reason there is a problem.  Your personal, shorter letters expressing concern over the issue are what is needed in order for them to see the human interest side of this.  

It doesn't have to be long or perfect prose to be effective.  Write your own paragraph or two that expresses how you feel and send it.  It will have the desired effect better than cut and pasting.  Just write like you would speak in telling others about your plight.  The reporters get paid for putting the story together and for crafting the right words.  They don't expect your letter to be perfect.  Nobody is grading you on this.

Owen makes a good point here. If a reporter sees a lot of letters that look and sound alike, he may think he is being sent the same letter over and over again, with minor alterations. Actually, the shorter the better. I am sure Mr.Broder is pretty busy. Just make your letters personal and to the point. Put some emotion behind it as well. I think he will be more impressed by content than by grammar, punctuation, and rhetorical skills. Speak from your heart and guy. Let him know you are being treated unfairly and that you are hurting.

oh, that we are.. hurting..... and fuming..

I'm an old time activist, used to writing letters for causes, so I assumed too much. I completed the address at the start of this thread for you.

You can address letters to the Editor, National Desk

With a local paper a general address to no one in particular will get sorted out. (I did that for awhile for a small paper) But for a large publication such as this you need to address it to a desk or a person.

The media has a powerful influence for good or bad in our society. We can use this opportunity to make our voices heard. Its important that each one present his/her story in their own words. We have read far too many form letters ourselves. Its not a matter of being the best writer,in fact most newspapers will make a letter presentable befor publishing if you ask. Make this a sensation that will motivate and inspire.