Business Prospect

I have done and sent all the paperwork required for AOS and EAD, this time I decided not to hire a lawyer. Some days ago I called an office which is dedicated to prepare all immigration related paperwork and the girl explained me that their fees are much better than those of some

"immigration lawyers" in town. For example, they charge $400 for filing

I-129F while my lawyer charges $1000!!!! :blink: they charge $800 for AOS, EAD and AP (don't even want to know what my lawyer's fees are). Although the owners are not lawyers, they have different providers which prepare legal documents for them (such as affidavits) and their fees are included in the package. I am just wondering if it will be a good idea to open a business as this but want to make sure at first if there is some special requirements from USCIS in order to operate such business. I recall there is a special area in the forms which ask the name of the person preparing the form if it is not the beneficiary. In PR the tax form also asks for this and I know that one of the purposes is to assess if the person preparing the form has taken the mandatory course for doing tax returns and of course to make sure that such person reports the income in his/her tax return. I know that some immigration services (asylum, etc) require a lawyer to intervene in

behalf of the client, but as I have figured out, a lawyer is not necessarily needed to file some type of cases and there are still a lot of people out there who prefer to pay to get the documents filed properly. What do y'all think?

Guest ShaQuaNew
I am just wondering if it will be a good idea to open a business ....  I know that some immigration services (asylum, etc) require a lawyer to intervene in

behalf of the client, but as I have figured  out, a lawyer is not necessarily needed to file some type of cases and there are still a lot of people out there who prefer to pay to get the documents filed properly.  What do y'all think?

139117[/snapback]

Over the counter literature that is both comprehensive and up to date is very thin. Publishing how-to documents is a way of avoiding the legal liabilities.

MARI, speaking as someone with a public safety, law enforcement and security background, I would be very careful about starting any immigration business until after your SO has completed the process. You don't want the USCIS investigating your true intentions. Believe me, there are plenty of other things that can slow down or delay the process, you don't need them suspecting fraud.

Please understand, I am not questioning your motives. I know immigration legal fees can be excessive for sometimes incompetent work. It would be nice if couples had a more reasonable alternative. Just carefully investigate your state's laws and wait until your SO has completed the process. I wish you Good Luck with the immigration process and your business opportunity.

Edited by LanBa (see edit history)
You might be referring to form G-28.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/g-28.htm

What your describing is what Visa Services do.. just look at www.k1k3visas.com as an example.

I can give you a grander plan that I've talked with another person.. PM me if you want to talk...

139227[/snapback]

look in your message box!!

I have done and sent all the paperwork required for AOS and EAD, this time I decided not to hire a lawyer.?Some days ago I called an office which is dedicated to prepare all immigration related paperwork?and the girl explained me that their fees are much better than those of some

"immigration lawyers" in town.?For example, they charge $400 for filing

I-129F while my lawyer charges $1000!!!! :blink: they charge $800 for AOS, EAD and AP (don't even want to know what my lawyer's fees are). Although the owners are not lawyers, they have different providers which prepare legal documents for them (such as affidavits) and their fees are included in the package.?I am just wondering if it will be a good idea to open a business as this but want to make sure at first if there is some special requirements from USCIS in order to operate such business.?I recall there is a special area in the forms which ask the name of the person preparing the form if it is not the beneficiary.?In PR the tax form also asks for this and I know that one of the purposes is to assess if the person preparing the form has taken the mandatory course for doing tax returns?and of course to make sure that such person reports the income in his/her tax return.?I know that some immigration services (asylum, etc) require a lawyer to intervene in

behalf of the client, but as I have figured?out, a lawyer is not necessarily needed to file some type of cases and there are still a lot of people out there who prefer to pay to get the documents filed properly.?What do y'all think?

139117[/snapback]

You can do the management part, which does not take a law degree to do. The management part is to handle the paperwork. All those fees you mentioned, they are all paper shuffling work and get good payment for the effort. All done according to what's established and posted by USCIS and NVC in their websites. I think all those vultures in and near US Consulate in Guangzhou, they are doing just this, operating under the guise of "lawyer", though mere paper shuffling clercs without any guarantee of results.

One may even be able to double the fees if one has a "law" degree from a matchbook or online universities. I think it's one easy money, because there are too many people who don't want to be bothered with the hassles. Need a bunch of phrases to appease and calm the clients. The business will succeed based on clients' perception on how the paperwork is handled and how you can make them patience, and from a handful of happy clients' testimonies.

Edited by bubbafred10 (see edit history)

I think you have the noblest intentions.... watch out for the vultures....

I agree with Don.

It's one thing to help someone fill out papers, it gets into a grey area if you charge a fee for it.

If you offer or even imply a legal opinion, you are operating without a license and open to litigation from the bar and your client.

It's like a do it your self divorce. Many places out there will tell you what forms to fill out and where to file them or even file them for you, but as far as answering a question, what should I put here, they can only reiterate the instructions that came with the form.

You can do it but make sure that they know you are not a lawyer, just a person experienced with the system.

Also, do not let them find out about CFL !!! :angry:

Also, do not let them find out about CFL !!! :unsure:

140136[/snapback]

Many of them don't have time to go through CFL or VJ, and much prefer to pay someone to find information for them. The ones who read and join CFL and VJ is less than 1% of the total number of petitioners each year.

That 001 website is a much closer knit community than CFL or VJ. There are a few "sharks" there. The information is much more thorough and the ladies who already come to US, they are still active in 001 to give their thoughts, opinions, and advise to those who are waiting, and they tell what they are doing in US. Maybe just differences in what the genders talk about.

The bottom line is that lawyers are big in US, so big that it permeates into everything we do and talk about, even in a forum like this. It's not the case in China.

Edited by bubbafred10 (see edit history)
Also, do not let them find out about CFL !!! :D

140136[/snapback]

Many of them don't have time to go through CFL or VJ, and much prefer to pay someone to find information for them. The ones who read and join CFL and VJ is less than 1% of the total number of petitioners each year.

That 001 website is a much closer knit community than CFL or VJ. There are a few "sharks" there. The information is much more thorough and the ladies who already come to US, they are still active in 001 to give their thoughts, opinions, and advise to those who are waiting, and they tell what they are doing in US. Maybe just differences in what the genders talk about.

The bottom line is that lawyers are big in US, so big that it permeates into everything we do and talk about, even in a forum like this. It's not the case in China.

140198[/snapback]

your comments are very good...

I would only argue that they are more tight knit in the forum because they are more so in life... they call each other mm whether involved in a visa process or not.

I have done and sent all the paperwork required for AOS and EAD, this time I decided not to hire a lawyer.  Some days ago I called an office which is dedicated to prepare all immigration related paperwork  and the girl explained me that their fees are much better than those of some

"immigration lawyers" in town.  For example, they charge $400 for filing

I-129F while my lawyer charges $1000!!!! :blink: they charge $800 for AOS, EAD and AP (don't even want to know what my lawyer's fees are). Although the owners are not lawyers, they have different providers which prepare legal documents for them (such as affidavits) and their fees are included in the package.  I am just wondering if it will be a good idea to open a business as this but want to make sure at first if there is some special requirements from USCIS in order to operate such business.  I recall there is a special area in the forms which ask the name of the person preparing the form if it is not the beneficiary.  In PR the tax form also asks for this and I know that one of the purposes is to assess if the person preparing the form has taken the mandatory course for doing tax returns  and of course to make sure that such person reports the income in his/her tax return.  I know that some immigration services (asylum, etc) require a lawyer to intervene in

behalf of the client, but as I have figured  out, a lawyer is not necessarily needed to file some type of cases and there are still a lot of people out there who prefer to pay to get the documents filed properly.  What do y'all think?

139117[/snapback]

Mari,

We are on top of a grander version of this already.

Send me a PM.

I am happy to hear that finally your hurdles have cleared!

Still want to take you up on the PR visit...we hope to do that this winter.

Get back to us and be well. :)

Just be prepared for all the phone calls and emails you'll be getting from your clients (on an hourly basis) saying "Where's my SO?!?!", "Where's my paperwork!?!?!" "What's happened in the past day!?!?" "What happened during the time that I last asked you what was happening?!?!?!" Remember how we all did that stuff at one time or another?

And when your clients realize it takes longer than 1.5 days to get the visa ... they'll think it's all your fault and they'll call you the inept one. But hey, at least you'll be getting paid for being blamed!

Edited by Jim - Portland, USA (see edit history)

Thank you so much for your replies. I will make sure of the rules that apply to PR. Basically the client population will consist mainly of Dominican Republic citizens who wish to bring their loved ones to the island, at least this is the market that I will pursue in case I can really do the business. Being a bank manager I will never do anything that is against the law, I was just thinking of running this business as a sideline, and after realizing that there's nothing to filling out these forms. I have worked in the past many SBA guaranteed loans and it's basically the same thing, you just need to follow the government instructions. We have also been thinking of starting other business, which has been always my dream, but never did it because I was the only support of my household. Qisheng already found a job and he will also work on his own repairing electroesthetic equipment, which will allow us to save some money in the next year in order to be able to open a business. Jason, you're more than welcomed to visit us next Christmas, we"ll be very happy to take you around, please let me know as soon as you have definite plans.