My wife and I are thinking of going to Mexico for a trip. She is currently in USA and has a Temporary Green card which expires next May and she needs to get it renewed in March of 06.

So anyways, we are planning on giong to Cancun Mexico in Sept. I heard conflicting requirements for this.

1: that she needs to get a visa to go to MX and to get back into the USA.

2: That all she needs is to bring her Passport, Birth Certificate and Green card.

Does anyone know for sure what my wife needs to enter Mexico and leave Mexico and get back into USA? I would wait to get there, and be stuck in customs for our whole trip.

Thanks,

Scott Pollock

scott@skc-pollock.com

www.skc-pollock.com

Met May 01

Arrived in USA Feb. 03.

Married May 03.

http://www.consulmexny.org/eng/visas_fmt_inm-stateless.htm

http://www.alaskaair.com/www2/help/faqs/Tr...Definitions.asp

"Green Cards will no longer be accepted for entrance into Mexico from the United States."

138492[/snapback]

There appears to be a conflict between the two sites, a green card for Refugees requires a visa, but a perminent legal resident does not require one based on the consulate page. Here is the INM page Countries that do not need a visa (FMTTV). I would not trust having the stamp in the passport for this unless the Mexican consulate provided a written document stating it was acceptable and then I might just go ahead with a visa to prevent any chance of a difficulty.

One of the Mexican sites mentions you should check with the airlines as they may have a different policy for travel to Mexico.

"Green Cards will no longer be accepted for entrance into Mexico from the United States."

138492[/snapback]

There appears to be a conflict between the two sites, a green card for Refugees requires a visa, but a perminent legal resident does not require one based on the consulate page. Here is the INM page Countries that do not need a visa (FMTTV). I would not trust having the stamp in the passport for this unless the Mexican consulate provided a written document stating it was acceptable and then I might just go ahead with a visa to prevent any chance of a difficulty.

One of the Mexican sites mentions you should check with the airlines as they may have a different policy for travel to Mexico.

138536[/snapback]

it isn't the airlines...... it is the Mexican check point you have to get past, based on what I have heard it should be no problem, but to play is safe, contact the Mexican Counsulate.....

138492[/snapback]

138536[/snapback]

it isn't the airlines...... it is the Mexican check point you have to get past, based on what I have heard it should be no problem, but to play is safe, contact the Mexican Counsulate.....

138544[/snapback]

If the airlines won't let you board the plane, then you won't even be able to go there.

So, if you have a valid passport Alaska airlines will take you to Mexico.  But, if you don't have a valid green card, immigration will not let you re-enter the USA.

138674[/snapback]

Nope, the airlines have been known to have their own set of rules about what they feel is required to enter the destination country and if you do not meet the airline rules they will refuse to allow you to board the plane.

It's just like traveling to China, they check your entry documents before allowing you to board and have no problem leaving you on the ground if you don't have the proper stuff.

So, if you have a valid passport Alaska airlines will take you to Mexico.  But, if you don't have a valid green card, immigration will not let you re-enter the USA.

138674[/snapback]

Nope, the airlines have been known to have their own set of rules about what they feel is required to enter the destination country and if you do not meet the airline rules they will refuse to allow you to board the plane.

It's just like traveling to China, they check your entry documents before allowing you to board and have no problem leaving you on the ground if you don't have the proper stuff.

138694[/snapback]

Passport and valid visa was all that was required for me to travel to china, what other travel documents could there be for a USC?

138674[/snapback]

138694[/snapback]

Passport and valid visa was all that was required for me to travel to china, what other travel documents could there be for a USC?

139647[/snapback]

Don't forget the Imodium A-D

138674[/snapback]

138694[/snapback]

139647[/snapback]

You are correct for a USC going to China, but the original question was about a non USC going to Mexico.

It's a matter of meeting the requirements of the destination country and the airlines have an interest in only taking passengers who can legally enter the country and return.

The airlines don't always want to take the time to check every possible requirement and set their own rules. For them it's a matter of ecconomics, what is most cost effective for them and having someone refused entry gives them another passenger for the return flight which is normally full. Not to mention who will pay for the return flight.