Bringing the parents over for a visit

Heres a question my SO asked me to ask all of you. when shes finally here, what is the procedure for getting her parents a tourist visa to the USA? How can we help? How long will it take? Thank you.

137796[/snapback]

Tourist visa is the easiest to get, and it's good for 6 months but can be extended to 1 year. I am not sure how long it takes to get the tourist visa, but I have read anywhere from 3 months to a year to get one. I guess it all depends on the itinerary and whether they are going to spend a lot of money travelling from one place to another. Another way is through your invitation for family visit. But I think it's just as important (if not more) to show plan of going to different parts of America by showing a draft itinerary but dependant on where you will take them around. The more likely they will spend money, the quicker they will get the visa. That's all my common sense thoughts, without any backup. The motto is and has always been whatever good for US economy, and that's spending money here. Family visitation and family values, etc, etc, are all hogwash because they ain't worth a dime.

When your laopo becomes a permanent resident, she can petition for her parents to get permanent resident visa.

If you or your laopo can establish a business with her parents, and her parents also owns the business, and the business employs at least oen American worker (not sure how many, maybe two) then your in-laws can stay here longer. I don't know what type of visa that is. When a foreigner can establish a business and contribute to US economy, then they are welcome here. Some of my former college buddies who were foreign students, they extended their stay many years after they completed their studies. One, from Germany, established a travel agency and became a US citizen afterward.

I may have written more than what you are looking for. I am pointing out the many ways to get a US permanent residence visa or getting extensions for business visa.

137986[/snapback]

We are talking simple toursit visa. I don't think spending $ in USA is the issue. The US gov wants to make sure they will return, the control is to not issue the visa if there is the slightest doubt they will not return ie. overwhelming family or economic interest that show you would return. Many in the coastal cities have good jobs and live the good life - so easy for them.

Many other nations will grant a tourist visa to Chinese citizens if a bond is posted. 10,000 to 50,000 RMB. As far as I know that is not a option for USA.

I know several people who had their parents visit. One tried for an additional 6 months extension but was rejected. As far as I know there is no I-134 needed for a tourist visa. A simple letter of invitation stating relationship, reason for visit and plans for the duration of the visit submitted with substantial reasons to return (home, business, other children in China) and the visa application are all that those I know submitted. About 25% it seems passed.

I have been wondering the same thing for my mother-in-law. My sister-in-law and husband just immigrated to Spain, my father-in-law died a few years ago, mother-in-law is retired and doesn't have much money. She is about to go to Spain for an extended stay (as long as possible). It seems as though she has no evidence to tie her back to China (I.E. no reason to return).

I was in the consulate here in Chengdu a few months ago and a Naturalised Chinese-American was arguing with the visa officer as to why her mother should not be refused. The visa officer said that in the past, her mother had stayed in the US for 6 to 9 months. They said that if she can stay in the US for that long, then there is nothing pressing that they have to return to China (no job, no business). It seemed a bit odd. In otherwords, in the past, she had been to the US, and then returned to China. So, now, they were being refused becuase of that. She is basically being refused because she went to the US before.

Gigi, my Chinese friend who had her parents here last year and whose mother-in-law has an interview on Aug 3, says that it is best to NOT apply for the 6 month extension on the first trip. Apparently. she is right.??She also says the only delay in the application process lies in the interview appointment, which takes about a month. Her parents/in-laws applied in Beijing. I'm sure the timing can vary at other consulates.??

Pingjun says that the visa is the B-2.??He sent his parents aletter of invitation. along with the affidavit of support. They callled the embassy for an interview appointment, which they got 2 weeks later. The visa was granted the same day. He says it is best to show up early (6:30AM) before the embassy opens at 8.??They had. however, been turned down twice previously. He says that when that happens, they must supply additional evidence of ties that will ensure that they will return to China (lease agreements, photos of relatives in China. etc.).??He agrees with Dan R's success percentage.??Weidong is out. Wei's parents were turned down 4 times and don't care to travel to Shaghai, or wait in line there again.??

I will give you an update on my previous post about my mother-in-law being turned down.

I have been writing DOS and only get the expected response.

My Senator's office wrote Shanghai and they indicated that the main reason was that she only had one child. They also did not think that she had suffient income as she is retired. She gets about $200 a month which is plenty since they own their own home. So not enough proof that she will return to China.

We are thinking about having them take a trip to Australia to show that they can leave China and return.

This trouble is a result of visa overstayers and no other reason.