What bothers you the most...

The thing that probably bothered me the most was lack of compassion for anyone that isn't your friend or family.  Disabled people on the sidewalk with MS, or no legs and obviously completely unable to work are pretty much ignored.

136804[/snapback]

That's an interesting issue.. I also saw this. As well as people who would prostrate themselves in prayer, essentially begging for money. I saw young ones also doing this. In most cases, these were healthy people, but most completely ignored them in the same way as I saw them ignore the invalid.

My impression at the time was that they hold a general distaste for anyone 'begging' or appearing to need money, whether healthy or invalid... but as you rightfully point out, it's the lack of compassion that they seemed to me to not be able to distinguish in the invalid's case... and for whom we would distinguish with more compassion.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Air pollution .... :lol:

really bad ... I constantly coughed ... my lungs were always congested ... after 4 weeks in China it took 5 days for my lungs to clear when I got back to California.

Yeah the staring (I'm tall) gets to you sometimes, also the little kid who looks at you and starts crying.

Yeah people generally treated each other like crap unless they were related or good friends, then it was a whole different world

Yeah the sanitation standards are abysmal

I can live with those kind of issues but I don't know how I could ever live with the air pollution

The thing that probably bothered me the most was lack of compassion for anyone that isn't your friend or family.  Disabled people on the sidewalk with MS, or no legs and obviously completely unable to work are pretty much ignored. Another thing is the perception that foreigners are rich and to be taken advantage of.  Being gouged on prices or obnoxious sales people who won't take no for an answer. Otherwise I love China.

136804[/snapback]

Good point. I was always looked at funny when I gave money to the people who were disabled or sick. It's hard for me to ignore these people. mosgt be there just walked by

The worst thing is the air polution. The second and third are also the air polution. Everywhere.

The staring never bothered me as I know I am different and they are curious. I enjoyed the laborers on the back of trucks who would say "Hello" as they went by.

Why use a toilet if there is a tree nearby? I also bought a wooden bead braclet that smells good and gets stronger as it heats up. Just hold it to your nose and all is sweet. McDonald's usually has cleaner toilets.

The litter gives the street sweepers something to do. Gives the retired some money. The Chinese do a great job of recycling.

Many of the beggars are not really physically bad. There was one boy that looked pitiful sitting on a scooterboard with one leg behind his head like he was deformed. He got there in the morning by walking. Many of these kids as well as the little girls selling flowers are controls by adults who take the money they rake in.

But I know I am going to a very different culture when I buy a plane ticket. If I wanted everything to be like it is here, I would stay here. I enjoyed Asia for about 3 years, taking 7 trips and spenting many months in various countries so I must not be too bothered by the local culture. Then there are things that I never would have imagined like the watering truck in Nanjing that played "Stars and Stripes Forever" on it's loudspeaker. So many wonderfull experiences that will last a lifetime. Every where I went I found some friendly people. I think that is a matter of looking happy and having a good attitude - people will pick up on it.

I visited 4 cities while in China, didn't see much difference than what can be found here, yes, there are cultural differences, but everyone for the most part was friendly and helpful. However, you asked for something that I disliked, so I guess it would have to be the public toilets.

What I disliked the most was the common rudeness of pushing and shoving and everyone always wanting to be first even if they arrived way too late. One guy walked up on my wifes left side as we were waiting for an elevator in the hotel lobby. As soon as the door opened he jumped in front of my wife to be the first one on even though there were only the three of us. I banged into him pretty hard when I entered the elevator.

Air pollution .... B)

really bad ... I constantly coughed ... my lungs were always congested ... after 4 weeks in China it took 5 days for my lungs to clear when I got back to California.

Yeah the staring (I'm tall) gets to you sometimes, also the little kid who looks at you and starts crying.

Yeah people generally treated each other like crap unless they were related or good friends, then it was a whole different world

Yeah the sanitation standards are abysmal

I can live with those kind of issues but I don't know how I could ever live with the air pollution

136814[/snapback]

I had this issue only due to New Year's air pollution got dramatically worse.. coughed for a month.. got to US and then sufficient drugs to knock it out..

wow!!

come on guys its not the US, granted....David you said it..."when in China do as the chinese" ....i could not have said it better. its a different world, the stares dont bother me. specially the old folks can not understand why she is with a westerner. i was only in beijing and the biggest thing that i thought was incredibly different from miami was the driving. the drivers say alot about the people. it took a while for me to realize what was happening on the busy streets but i was amazed how it worked so well. we traveled the Chu-su Chur (my roman english translation of taxi) everywhere... there might as well not be any lanes for the cars to stay in....i driven in the worst of traffic jams in the most congested cities in america and i could not drive in beijing. untili realized that the way they drive works.... they all drive curtiously (comparitvely speaking to like miami or boston) they merge politely. if you would try to drive the way they drive in beining in miami you'd have a gun pointed at you. GET OUTTA MY LANE!!!! but beijing drivers love to use there horn as to say "im here let me in" and its granted.....same with the bikes. i could never live more then a day or 2 riding a bike in BJ or SH.....

the begging seems to be a little more prevalent....a couple of 4 and 5 year olds approached me with there hands out and my girl pointed out the mom 20 yards away coaxing them. beijing is a big city with the same problems as any other big city across the globe.

i love beijing, i love that im able to travel there. im very lucky

wow!!

come on guys its not the US, granted....David you said it..."when in China do as the chinese" ....i could not have said it better. its a different world, the stares dont bother me. specially the old folks can not understand why she is with a westerner. i was only in beijing and the biggest thing that i thought was incredibly different from miami was the driving. the drivers say alot about the people. it took a while for me to realize what was happening on the busy streets but i was amazed how it worked so well. we traveled the Chu-su Chur (my roman english translation of taxi) everywhere... there might as well not be any lanes for the cars to stay in....i driven in the worst of traffic jams in the most congested cities in america and i could not drive in beijing. untili realized that the way they drive works.... they all drive curtiously (comparitvely speaking to like miami or boston) they merge politely. if you would try to drive the way they drive in beining in miami you'd have a gun pointed at you. GET OUTTA MY LANE!!!! but beijing drivers love to use there horn as to say "im here let me in" and its granted.....same with the bikes. i could never live more then a day or 2 riding a bike in BJ or SH.....

the begging seems to be a little more prevalent....a couple of 4 and 5 year olds approached me with there hands out and my girl pointed out the mom 20 yards away coaxing them. beijing is a big city with the same problems as any other big city across the globe.

i love beijing, i love that im able to travel there. im very lucky

137464[/snapback]

I have to say, I found the traffic pattern an observation in unbelievable shock and admiration.. I've never seen chaos so under control. There is a rhyme and reason to the driving madness, and the 'rules' of the road do exist.. just not in a book anywhere ! :blink:

And don't say there's no such thing as a free ride... One adaptation I did was to dress more like them.. since the men seem to love black , and it's my favorite too (except in the US, it connotes a bad thing).. I fit in well... I got two free cab rides for 'looking chinese'...

My experience is that the US drivers are the worst in the world for their competitive, possessive style. Everywhere else I have been, the style is much more cooperative and easy in my judgement.

The rules of the road are the least clear in China, but decided cooperatively (and successfully) on the fly. That is, someone won't hog the right of way and block others just because he got there first.

The week I was in Beijing, I saw less than 1 dozen accidents, and could see any actual damage only in 1 or 2 of them.

I find it interesting that many seem to insist on other countries adhering to US cultural practices in their native country. This is similar to the US State Department’s behavior which has been somewhat dreadful in dealing with the rest of the world and could explain many peoples view point of the USA.

China is one of the most crowded places in the world and their society had adopted a social behavior that works for them. The people do not demand the same space requirements or take offense at some behaviors Americans and behavior that is acceptable in the US is considered extremely rude in China.

In traffic or shopping I never saw anyone take offense or become angered with someone else who might have been in a bigger hurry and the pushing and maneuvering was only a means to get from one place to another. Staring is not considered rude in China, it is the way people learn about new things they might not have ever seen before. No offense is meant and none should be taken.

This is a very ancient society and they have many methods of social behavior that are meant to provide each person a sense of dignity and respect.

I am sure there are those who have not taken the time to understand why public displays of affection are frowned upon in China. The short story is they do not wish to make others feel bad, you can never tell if another person would feel pain in seeing this and realizing their life was missing something as wonderful as love. This behavior is out of respect for others.

In short, a person should take time to learn a bit about other countries culture and traditions before visiting. It demonstrates a respect for others that is not usually demonstrated by the majority of Americans. When you provide a little effort to respect other cultures you will find that people go out of their way to make you feel like an honored guest and this does not just apply to China.