Student Exchange

My wife has asked me to check the possibility of having her neice come to USA to study for a year after she (my wife) immigrates. Does anyone have any experience with this, or know where I can start inquiries?

Of course the possibilities are there.

As long as the candidate can satisfy the academic requirements of the institution he/she applies for and satisfy the visa requirements, studying in the states is not a dream. There are tons of Chinese students studying in the States.

Firstly he/she needs to decide which subject he/she is going to study, then he/she can do some research on line and get a few target institutions. Then apply for the course and wait for the offer letter. Get all the paper work done and go for the visa. It's easy. But he/she may need to sit exams, depending on his/her entry level.

But if he/she wants to study in the states as an exchanged student, it's much more complicated. If the school he/she is studying in now does not have any exchange program, he/she's not likely to have such opportunities. Even if there are such programs, he/she must demonstrade academic excellence and all-round competencies to stand out of the candidates.

As long as the candidate can satisfy the academic requirements of the institution he/she applies for and satisfy the visa requirements, studying in the states is not a dream. There are tons of Chinese students studying in the States.

Firstly he/she needs to decide which subject he/she is going to study, then he/she can do some research on line and get a few target institutions. Then apply for the course and wait for the offer letter. Get all the paper work done and go for the visa. It's easy. But he/she may need to sit exams, depending on his/her entry level.

But if he/she wants to study in the states as an exchanged student, it's much more complicated. If the school he/she is studying in now does not have any exchange program, he/she's not likely to have such opportunities. Even if there are such programs, he/she must demonstrade academic excellence and all-round competencies to stand out of the candidates.

135731[/snapback]

okay, I should have been more specific, she is in High School and her English is pretty fair....

135731[/snapback]

okay, I should have been more specific, she is in High School and her English is pretty fair....

135874[/snapback]

SMSU in Springfield Missouri has a campus in Dalian China in Business degrees, require at least 12 credit hours of school there before allow to become a exchange student with SMSU in springfield missouri. cost is Tutition fee for the classes. I do know one student that had thier parent pay for everything just so student show education in america.

might want to inquire about it. www.smsu.edu

under china campus.

I assume that you would want to host her (although she might also want a different host family in the same city).

I would drive down to the local high school and talk to one of the counselors. You may be able to get an acceptance letter from the High School and I would imagine that a counselor there would have some contacts for you.

College students require the TOEFL exam before taking regular classes (but, they can come to study the language without TOEFL). I don't believe that HS has the same requirements.

I would assume that you would also write a letter of invitation as well as something to show adequate support capabilities.

If you started the ball rolling now.... with a little luck you could have the neice here by September. :blink: :) :huh:

I would assume that the application process would be MUCH QUICKER than a K1/K3 visa (she is under 18). It is possible that the Embassy might even expedite Fall applications. However, you should try to find some "real" information to determine when a good time to apply will be. Perhaps target December or January.

How far along is your wife's visa application?

Would the neice prefer coming for the summer before starting school?

I assume that you would want to host her (although she might also want a different host family in the same city).

I would drive down to the local high school and talk to one of the counselors.  You may be able to get an acceptance letter from the High School and I would imagine that a counselor there would have some contacts for you.

College students require the TOEFL exam before taking regular classes (but, they can come to study the language without TOEFL).  I don't believe that HS has the same requirements.

I would assume that you would also write a letter of invitation as well as something to show adequate support capabilities.

If you started the ball rolling now....  with a little luck you could have the neice here by September. :D  :)  :huh:

I would assume that the application process would be MUCH QUICKER than a K1/K3 visa (she is under 18).  It is possible that the Embassy might even expedite Fall applications.  However, you should try to find some "real" information to determine when a good time to apply will be.  Perhaps target December or January.

How far along is your wife's visa application?

Would the neice prefer coming for the summer before starting school?

135923[/snapback]

I think I will try to target her coming next semester after my wife and her daughter are here, it would go better I think