Question About Vaccines

I had a question about my fiancee getting vaccines done in China. I know these are not needed for the K1 visa, but we are thinking of just getting them done in China at the time of the medical exam, just to have them done.

The question is, she knows she has had some vaccines done when she was a child, but there is no record of what was done or when. So I assume she will need to get them all done that are required for her to stay in the US.

But is there any harm in getting a vaccine more than once? Are there any ill side effects or other things we should be concerned about?

Anyone else with similar experiences where their SO had vaccines does as a child, but just did not have any record of it, what did they need to do and how did it go?

Thanks,

WuLongTea

Vaccines are required for the K1 Visa, just not required at the K1 issue stage. You will be required to provied a I-693 if I remember right that is a medical form with the required shot record included. If you do get them done in China dont loose the shot records as they will be need later.

you can get them done in China at the time of the medical exam or after receiving the visa.. I have read that some do the latter just to make sure they get the visa.

Here's is part of the FAQ comments:

Q.1.13 Which Visa types require vaccinations?

A.1.13.1

All applicants for immigrant visas are required to have the following vaccinations if appropriate for age, medical condition or medical history:

• Mumps

• Measles

• Rubella

• Polio

• Tetanus and diptheria toxoids

• Pertussis

• Influenza type B

• Hepatitis B

• Varicella

• Pneumococcal

As a fiancée (K1 visa), you are not required to fulfill this requirement at the time of your medical examination for a fiancée visa. However, you may want to do so. These vaccinations are required when you adjust status.

A.1.13.2

She should be exempt from all of the childhood immunizations, as these are not indicated for an adult. The influenza is only given in wintertime. The Pneumococcal is only for people 65 or over. If she has a chickenpox scar on her arm, then that vaccine is not indicated. This only leaves MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) and tetanus. Amy told the doc that she had the MMR shot as a child and as a result she only had to get a tetanus shot. She showed the doc her yellow vaccination book (which has no English in it) and the doc bought her story.

Another factor is if she is in childbearing years, as this will mean that several immunizations should not be given.

A.1.13.3

I was told that the necessary shots are tetanus, MMR, and a chicken pox vaccination if the patient has never had the chicken pox.

A.1.13.4

More info:

Vaccination Requirements for Immigrant Visa Applicants and AOS Applicants

http://uscis.gov/graphics/generalvac.pdf

Frequently Asked Questions for Form I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status

http://uscis.gov/graphics/i-693faq.htm

Spouse and Fiancée of American Citizen

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...es_1315.html#3a (see vaccination requirements)

Jingwen and her kids had no records of any vaccinations they might have had. We had some done in China after the interview and the remainder done here in the States. Some of the vaccinations are multi-shot (hepatitis, I think is one).

I haven't seen any side effects from possible double vaccinations unless you consider that thing growing out of her stomach a side effect. No, wait, I just finished watching Alien - never mind. :angel:

you can get them done in China at the time of the medical exam or after receiving the visa.. I have read that some do the latter just to make sure they get the visa.  

Here's is part of the FAQ comments:

Q.1.13 Which Visa types require vaccinations?

A.1.13.1

All applicants for immigrant visas are required to have the following vaccinations if appropriate for age, medical condition or medical history:

• Mumps

• Measles

• Rubella

• Polio

• Tetanus and diptheria toxoids

• Pertussis

• Influenza type B

• Hepatitis B

• Varicella

• Pneumococcal

As a fiancée (K1 visa), you are not required to fulfill this requirement at the time of your medical examination for a fiancée visa. However, you may want to do so. These vaccinations are required when you adjust status.

A.1.13.2

She should be exempt from all of the childhood immunizations, as these are not indicated for an adult. The influenza is only given in wintertime. The Pneumococcal is only for people 65 or over. If she has a chickenpox scar on her arm, then that vaccine is not indicated. This only leaves MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) and tetanus. Amy told the doc that she had the MMR shot as a child and as a result she only had to get a tetanus shot. She showed the doc her yellow vaccination book (which has no English in it) and the doc bought her story.

Another factor is if she is in childbearing years, as this will mean that several immunizations should not be given.

A.1.13.3

I was told that the necessary shots are tetanus, MMR, and a chicken pox vaccination if the patient has never had the chicken pox.

A.1.13.4

More info:

Vaccination Requirements for Immigrant Visa Applicants and AOS Applicants

http://uscis.gov/graphics/generalvac.pdf

Frequently Asked Questions for Form I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status

http://uscis.gov/graphics/i-693faq.htm

Spouse and Fiancée of American Citizen

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...es_1315.html#3a  (see vaccination requirements)

135179[/snapback]

It will be the Civil Surgeons decision what shots are required..

It will be the Civil Surgeons decision what shots are required..

135211[/snapback]

That reply suggests that it's futile to have any shots done in china.. that is not the historical recommendation.

135227[/snapback]

Get all the shots done in China that you want to, the doctors are here and not there and not all Doctors will required the same thing... David when your fiancé gets here go to 3 or 4 Civil Surgeons and I will make a bet that all of them will require different requirements as to what they require as far as shots and exams, the age of a person will play a part too..

My fiancee had a preliminary exam done at the hospital in Nanning. She received a complete exam and her doctor said she is 100%

Like others, she has no medical records except the scar on her arm. She tells me that she has had Chicken Pox as a youth but no record to prove this.

My doctor here in the U.S. tells me that all the immunizations I gave her a list of can be done in the office and is covered by my HMO insurance plan with a co-pay of $20 for each visit. (Food for thought)

esun41

I put related info in the thread "Medical in Shanghai" (sorry I can not seem to provide links nowadays). Depending on AGE the shots will vary. Hep shots are for the younger crowd. Wife had no shot record, about 40, and received just 3 shots here (CR-1). I SUGGEST having them done at the Health Care Centers for International Travel (they are listed on the CR-1, P-4 as being acceptable to GUZ) for your area (i.e., The HCCIT of Guangdong or Shanghai) and getting the yellow book record of such as opposed to just any ole doctor. Anhui providnce has had some reported vaccination problems- both on internet and Shanghai Consulate emails I receive . acw

I put related info in the thread "Medical in Shanghai" (sorry I can not seem to provide links nowadays). Depending on AGE the shots will vary. Hep shots are for the younger crowd. Wife had no shot record, about 40, and received just 3 shots here (CR-1). I SUGGEST having them done at the Health Care Centers for International Travel (they are listed on the CR-1, P-4 as being acceptable to GUZ) for your area (i.e., The HCCIT of Guangdong or Shanghai) and getting the yellow book record of such as opposed to just any ole doctor. Anhui providnce has had some reported vaccination problems- both on internet and Shanghai Consulate emails I receive . acw

135284[/snapback]

Medical in Shanghai- procedure

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10744

Conventional wisdom is to get the vaccinations in China after you pass the interview. If there is long delay the vaccinations may expire before AOS. If your company has a health plan that will cover them it would be cheaper to wait until she is in the US.

Thanks for the link, David!

Carl, I agree for the K visa people- IF you have statesides medical that covers it. Also I've seen people having problems getting the medical coverage lacking a SSN #. Likewise, in our case, we would be waiting until "open season" to enroll in Dec. Effective coverage Jan. 2006. acw