Today we started the medical exam in Shanghai. In view of recent posts and some confusion on a few subjects- here are our experiences. Questions about visa fee payment, doing exam in advance, appointment letter, vaccinations and time it takes are below.

Arrived slightly before 8 AM at Shanghai First People's Hospital, #585 Jiu Long Road, Hong Kou District (a few blocks away from the Entry/Exit Bureau @ 333 Wusong Lu), Shanghai. Tel: (021) 63240090. Hours: M-F 8:00- 10AM and 1:00- 3:00PM.

They required a copy of the GUZ P-4 appointment letter (so no doing it beforehand, I guess). Cost: RMB 900 for a adult/ RMB 600 for a child (See below for additional HIV fee). REGULAR service is 1 week/ expediated 2 day service is another RMB 400 (see HIV below). This is somewhat on the high end, cost wise, of the 7 authorized hospitals on the list. The two places in GUZ and Taishan range 600 to 800 (both Beijing hospitals are listed as US$130, Fujian RMB1,000).

We spent 45 minutes on lines and paperwork (filling out the heading of the med exam sheet and a couple internal hospital forms) with name, passport #, date of birth, GUZ file #, today's date and trimming TWO of our offical 2" x 2" Passport photos down to typical Chinese size and pasting them to two of the forms (for sizing- see the Med exam sheet from GUZ in the P-4 ).

Typical payment of fees; go here get a stamp, go there, pay money, go BACK to the first desk and get receipt from the SAME person as before.

Next, very basic eye exam and blood pressure check at the same desk as where initial forms are turned in. (Busy lady).
Then Medical history, blood test, urine test, go down stairs for the Xray and ECG. Done here about 10:10 AM

The CURVE BALL: HIV TESTING It is done WAY across town at the Shanghai INSTITUTE OF PREVENTIVE MEDICINE office NOT the main building Municipal Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Address: 1382 (NOT 1380) Zhong Shan Xi (Road). Phones: 62758710- 1108, 62751144. Took about 40 minutes by taxi in moderate traffic to get there. Don't think you can do this the same day using a bus(es) or Metro.

Return trip Wens.: It's located about 12-15 minutes walk from the Hong Qiao #3 Metro line station. Exit Metro, head westerly on Hong Ciao Road, a turn left on Zhong Shan Xi and to the center at 1382.

HOURS: M-W-F only! 8:45 AM to 11:00 only! Fee: ANOTHER RMB 50. It takes a minimum of two days to get the results, i.e. test Monday get results Wens. The reason it takes a MINIMUM of TWO days even with the expediated service. One must also return here FIRST, get the results (even with regular service), and return it to the hospital.

(Sidenote: to score points with S/O- suggest she talk to others at the hospital and share a taxi to HIV testing. Four of us arrived at the HIV center in SEPERATE taxis within a few minutes of each other. Taxi meter fares ranged from RMB 30 to 40. "We should have shared a taxi" brought out a few laughs/scowls.)

Vaccinations: Hospital letter states K1, K3, V visa applicants are exempt but others (i.e., CR/IR-1/2) are required to have them. Determination and shots are at 15 Jin Bang Lu (Turn left at 1701 Ha Mi Lu (Road)). It uses both addresses and there are blue street signs near it. Hours: M-F 8-11:00, 1-3:00PM., Phones: 62686428, 62688851. Shots will be given here, a yellow book issued and hand carried back to 1st People's Hosp. BEFORE they will complete the Med. exam- if required (i.e., CR/IR-1). Also noted: After the physical the person will have to return to the Health Care Center of Shanghai International Travel office for an exit booklet "Certficate of Health Examination"- an ugly orange colored booklet.
EDIT 6-7-05: Found this place to be quite distant from the 1st peoples Hosp. and somewhat far from the HIV place. Vicinity of the Shanghai Zoo. Wife is over 19 but less than 65 years of age and no EXISTING shot record. She was given three injections today- expected more but that's it. Shots received: Td Primary series, MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) and Varicella. She was told she needs a second dose at 42-60 days from now. Can be done in China OR US. Fee was RMB 296.

Paperwork put in package for GUZ at 1st People's on 6-13-05 for a CR-1
Two MORE (total of 4) photos, DS-230 Part II, Divorce document (IMMIGRANT'S only), police, marriage, and birth certs, and A COPY of the bio. pages of the passport- actual PP was checked and returned (if applicable police record), Family Composition form (for 16 and older), medical exam certification sheet. Also received the xray.

830 RMB Visa fee, for "K" and "V" visas: So far it states that this fee *may* be paid in advance at CITIC banks (Sorry, but NO SPECIFIC Branches in Shanghai were given to us) OR paid at GUZ. It is NOT required by this Hosp. to do the Medical.

After completion of the medical at 1st People's we were given a handful of medical reports and were told we could get the "Certficate of Health Examination" nicknamed the "exit booklet" today also. Again at the Health Care Center of Shanghai International Travel Office- the vaccination place. It costs RMB12 and you will need 1 additional photo.

This is excellent information for those in Shanghai. I wish I'd had known about the details of this 2 weeks ago. My fiancee also had to go through the same things of having to travel to two different hospitals, and it was a pain in the butt for her. She missed going to the hospital for the exam by 5 mins because it was so far away from the place to take the HIV test.

When you say "paid in advance" , this should really be intrepreted as "in advance of the interview?

Great stuff !!

There was a question here whether or not it was REQUIRED to pay the

RMB 830 visa fee and put a copy in the MEDICAL package, i.e., would they do a exam without the visa fee receipt? They didn't care about the VISA fee payment at the Hospital in Shanghai. It is listed as a future step on the sheet and only states it MAY be paid at CITIC bank OR Guangzhou- it does not say it MUST BE paid "in advance of the interview"

therefore, personally, I can not answer for this point. Also I will attempt to get a list from the hospital on Monday of SPECIFIC branches of CITIC here in Shanghai that will accept the 830 RMB visa fee (it could well be those listed on the GUZ web site). I remember some of the DCF people in Beijing seemed to have trouble on this issue also. acw

When you say "paid in advance" , this should really be intrepreted as "in advance of the interview?

Great stuff !!

There was a question here whether or not it was REQUIRED to pay the

RMB 830 visa fee and put a copy in the MEDICAL package, i.e., would they do a exam without the visa fee receipt? They didn't care about the VISA fee payment at the Hospital in Shanghai. It is listed as a future step on the sheet and only states it MAY be paid at CITIC bank OR Guangzhou- it does not say it MUST BE paid "in advance of the interview"

therefore, personally, I can not answer for this point. Also I will attempt to get a list from the hospital on Monday of SPECIFIC branches of CITIC here in Shanghai that will accept the 830 RMB visa fee (it could well be those listed on the GUZ web site). I remember some of the DCF people in Beijing seemed to have trouble on this issue also. acw

I just pulled up Don's file location and looked at the P3s files (unless it has changed from the one I looked at):

Bank Letter:

"All applicants for nonimmigrant visas, including K (finacee) and V visa applicants must pay the visa processing fee xxx RMB prior to the interview...

The OF-171 appointment letter has this comment:

"You must be prepared to pay in cash the Immigrant visa processing fee"...

So, all indications are that the visa fee can be paid at GUZ ...

Edited to clarify that I mean can pay after the medical exam but before interview...

We got a list in the P-4 and already paid it.

What's this "we" stuff? :huh:

And you going to at least say where.. I don't recall where ping lives... I've turned off timelines and refuse to look any more.. and you get another GVD post... I know your ways ! :blink:

I adapt to the we/our faster than Jim :lol: After all these months sweating it out with GUZ and hanging out here I earned saying we the hard way.

No reply necessary :o wouldn't want your post count going above quota :huh:

Edited original post to relect additional info and clarify a few minor details.

Also it was at the exit booklet pickup today we met our first cople from CFL. In addition to CFL we used to live only 8-9 miles apart in the past. He said the above post was helpful to them for the Shanghai Med. As the International Travel place was SUPER SLOOOOOOW today it made the wait a lot shorter.

BEST of LUCK to R and G on their upcoming interview!!!acw