A mistake I made

My husband and I both moved to the US together- and we had all of our furniture made in China- we both picked it out but he really has most of the say in decorating. Somehow it has been decided that I am bad at decorating and don't understand color schemes. Which is fine with me- because I'm not a big fan of decorating anyway. So I just get to clean- which is okay too- because his version of cleaning is to throw a tablecloth over a dirty table- and then it is clean.  :huh:

134699[/snapback]

As your husband has such faith in your decorating you should have some fun and just mention that the color seems a bit different than what you thought he told you, wasn't their a touch more blue to it. :blink: :lol: :lol:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my SO arrived here she moved into a house that was "done". I had lived in my 1910 house for 2 years and had everything pretty much decorated and finished the way "I" wanted it. Big mistake... :lol:  Luli found that she could not make it "her" or "our" house and she referred to it for a time as "your" house...ouch. Luckily I have a really neat back yard that I had never done anything with and she dove in to that project and enjoyed doing exactly what she wanted to with it. Now everything is fine and it is "our house"...

:P  :wub:

So I would advise being thoughtful of your SO's need to make your space her space too. Give her the options, space, time, wherewithall to turn it into "our house".

134660[/snapback]

I have lived in my place 3 years, I painted last year, but told my wife that I would like to prepare her daughters room in her preferred color, she gave me some colors, so I sent her the samlples for her to select from, it went over well for her and her daughter, I mentioned changing our bedroom color also, but she told me to wait until she arrived....

YOU'RE RIGHT.... let's give our SO the input to make it a HOME

i just bought an old victorian home (100yrs old) that is a duplex with my wifes approval. I will wait for her to get here before we make any changes. Yes i think it is very important that she feels it is "our" home. I told her it is her duty to decorate our new home. I am sure that it will need new toilets, hardwood floors and many other changes, God I love this woman and i am sure she will make it our so sweet and happy home!

mark

I have a wimpy electric range which Luli was not happy about but she has learned to adapt to. She just leaves it on high all the time and waits until you could melt a Buick in the wok before throwing in the oil. What is really inadequate is the normal range hood. Get one that can suck a bowling ball off the floor and that should be just adequate... :lol:

134681[/snapback]

This is really funny. The first few times Amy cooked something, she put the oil in the wok and set the gas on high for about 5 minutes and then poured in the food. I was upstairs at the time and at the other end of a 3000+ sq ft house when the smoke and fumes from the oil nearly killed me!!! :o It took a few hours to vent out the house!!! :D

So where do I get one of the range vents that can suck up a bowling ball???? :P :lol: :lol:

I have a wimpy electric range which Luli was not happy about but she has learned to adapt to. She just leaves it on high all the time and waits until you could melt a Buick in the wok before throwing in the oil. What is really inadequate is the normal range hood. Get one that can suck a bowling ball off the floor and that should be just adequate... :blink:

134681[/snapback]

This is really funny. The first few times Amy cooked something, she put the oil in the wok and set the gas on high for about 5 minutes and then poured in the food. I was upstairs at the time and at the other end of a 3000+ sq ft house when the smoke and fumes from the oil nearly killed me!!! :o It took a few hours to vent out the house!!! :lol:

So where do I get one of the range vents that can suck up a bowling ball???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

134872[/snapback]

Somehow I have a little credibility and my wife actually listens to me about food and nutrition. She also appreciates it when I take her advice and she has taught me a lot about how to eat right. I am very grateful that she has listened to me about the idea that it is just wrong, very wrong, to burn the cooking oil and she has changed her style of cooking to use a lower heat not to burn the expensive olive oil she uses now.

I have a wimpy electric range which Luli was not happy about but she has learned to adapt to. She just leaves it on high all the time and waits until you could melt a Buick in the wok before throwing in the oil. What is really inadequate is the normal range hood. Get one that can suck a bowling ball off the floor and that should be just adequate... :blink:

134681[/snapback]

This is really funny. The first few times Amy cooked something, she put the oil in the wok and set the gas on high for about 5 minutes and then poured in the food. I was upstairs at the time and at the other end of a 3000+ sq ft house when the smoke and fumes from the oil nearly killed me!!! :o It took a few hours to vent out the house!!! :lol:

So where do I get one of the range vents that can suck up a bowling ball???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

134872[/snapback]

Somehow I have a little credibility and my wife actually listens to me about food and nutrition. She also appreciates it when I take her advice and she has taught me a lot about how to eat right. I am very grateful that she has listened to me about the idea that it is just wrong, very wrong, to burn the cooking oil and she has changed her style of cooking to use a lower heat not to burn the expensive olive oil she uses now.

134920[/snapback]

Just to clarify.. doesn't Olive Oil come in two varieties. I'm not sure if there is just Olive Oil and then extra virgin Olive Oil... but I thought that one was meant to be cooked and one was not (meaning, it was to be used for oil/vinegar or other non-cooking uses)...

Olive oil has a low flash point so it is not for frying also flax seed.

High temp use such as Chinese wok cooking requires one of these

Lard

Peanut oil

Rape seed (Canola in the U.S.) oil

Cotton seed oil

Soy oil

Sesame oil is used for flavoring or at the end of cooking because it is not a high temp oil.

Hydrogenated is a process to preserve oil and extend rancidity time. This allows distant shipping and long term storage of oil. The draw back is that when heated the oil becomes a carcinogen. Most products made with oil are using hydrogenated. No wonder people get cancer younger these days. Normal consumption of these oils has greatly increased over the past 50 years and gov studies show it takes over 30 to effect the cells.

Yup during my travels in China I'd see a whole wall stacked with gallon containers labeled in English often to my surprise "Rape Seed Oil" in the convenience stores.

Roger do you have a restaurant supply cash and carry near you? They have it in 5 gallon containers very cheap.

You might consider biodiesel for your next hybrid :D

Roger, It is your job to pour the 5 ga. container into the wimpy little bottles. :lol: Laogong training manual section V.A.1.(a). acw

134999[/snapback]

I was about to suggest buying a large turkey baster (looks like a giant eye dropper) and avoid the lifting all together. :P

Roger, It is your job to pour the 5 ga. container into the wimpy little bottles. :lol: Laogong training manual section V.A.1.(a). acw

134999[/snapback]

I was about to suggest buying a large turkey baster (looks like a giant eye dropper) and avoid the lifting all together. :P

135002[/snapback]

Gosh you guys sure are helpful... :P

But there still would be the matter of storing a barrel of oil somewhere... :lol: