My fiancee has been told to know my parents names, my siblings names and my childrens names... We practice each day!!!

She pronounces her English name- Lucy- and says it with my last name perfectly when doing this but massacres my last name when saying it in conjuction with my other family members... It is so funny.

I am changing jobs soon and I am guessing I should submit documentation proving this. I already have sent her my financial info complete with tax years and letter from my soon to be ex-employer.

Anyone have some advice for me on this?

Thanks,

esun41

135253[/snapback]

GZ won't know your siblings names and it would be silly for her to know your parents names as it is disrectful in china ta address an eldr by their name. Most interviews are 4-5 simple quesions. How did you meet, where does he live, what is his work, what does he like to do, has he been married before, how many times did he visit, for how long, why do you want to marry him etc...

They asked my so 6 questions--she didn't know two of the answers--what does he like to do and what are his hobbies. The good news is that GZ had no way of knowing if she was wrong. The bad news is she told them she had no idea--it was no problem

135255[/snapback]

I would agree that 'names' seem to be less important.. as long as she knows your 'true' name (in case you go by a nickname or your middle name like I do !).

The one catch might be if you have photos and your family went to visit to china... I have seen where the VO asks, "who is this?". And responses of "his brother" , "his mother" are usually fine.

Prior marriages with children tend to draw questions, but more like to ask their age or date of divorce.. or ...

VO: why do you want to marry him?

A: He loves me a lot

VO: Can you give an example ?

My god... I can imagine if after waiting over a year and a half for the day to talk with the VO's. that they reject a visa for not knowing my mother's 1st name? hummm,,, Have Ax, will travel???

Lao Po could give them my mom's dog's name too, if they asked for it? Now if they ask what his favorite brand of dog food is, that might be a tough one. We'll add it to the list to be on the safe side.

Thanks David.

Seemed one VO liked to talk dogs...

1: What does he do for a living?

A: HE works at HSN, and part time in a pet store.

2: Oh, you like animals?

A: Of course, I used to own a pet store.

3: Really? Do you have any pets?

A: Two dogs

4. VO: What breed? What are their names?

A: Miniature Schnauzer and Miniature pincher. Wumi and Mily. I'm bringing Mily to the US.

5. VO: That's nice. Do you have any electronic messages?

A: Yep (hands them over, VO thumbs through the stack, doesn't read them)

A: Do you want to see the I-134?

VO: No

A: Would you like to see our pictures?

VO: Not necessary. (hands over white slip) congratulations! You can pick up your visa Monday at 4:00

A: Miniature Schnauzer and Miniature pincher. Wumi and Mily. I'm bringing Mily to the US.

5. VO: That's nice.  Do you have any electronic messages?

VO: Not necessary. (hands over white slip) congratulations! You can pick up your visa Monday at 4:00

135391[/snapback]

I wonder how long it wil take for the dogs to get their visas and will she have to make a tape of her barking with them fo five minutes??

135391[/snapback]

I wonder how long it wil take for the dogs to get their visas and will she have to make a tape of her barking with them fo five minutes??

135392[/snapback]

And I'd better build a vaccination list for dogs now! Anyone know of a civil veterinarian who will write off their shots? :lol:

135391[/snapback]

135392[/snapback]

And I'd better build a vaccination list for dogs now! Anyone know of a civil veterinarian who will write off their shots? :D

135393[/snapback]

I know a very good sheep vet who will work with you!!! :lol: :wub: :offtopic: oooops, sorry!!

My fiancee has been told to know my parents names, my siblings names and my childrens names... We practice each day!!!

She pronounces her English name- Lucy- and says it with my last name perfectly when doing this but massacres my last name when saying it in conjuction with my other family members... It is so funny.

I am changing jobs soon and I am guessing I should submit documentation proving this. I already have sent her my financial info complete with tax years and letter from my soon to be ex-employer.

Anyone have some advice for me on this?

Thanks,

esun41

135253[/snapback]

GZ won't know your siblings names and it would be silly for her to know your parents names as it is disrectful in china ta address an eldr by their name. Most interviews are 4-5 simple quesions. How did you meet, where does he live, what is his work, what does he like to do, has he been married before, how many times did he visit, for how long, why do you want to marry him etc...

They asked my so 6 questions--she didn't know two of the answers--what does he like to do and what are his hobbies. The good news is that GZ had no way of knowing if she was wrong. The bad news is she told them she had no idea--it was no problem

135255[/snapback]

My SO knows much about me... my job, my state of residence, etc... I thought it was strange for her to tell me she needed to know my parents names but we practice anyway. I will tell her not to say "I don't know" This is good advice for her.

My friend in North Carolina just had his SO get her visa and travel to the USA in April. He says the interviewer asked her if she was a member of the Communist party, if she knew his birthday and how old her fiancee was and how they met. That was all! She could not speak in English and was asked if she knew any English. She said she knew little English. When I met her in Los Angeles, (I met him at LAX and waited with him before her flight arrived) she just said "Thank you" and "my name is ..." My SO speaks English much better and understands well when we talk on the phone and chat on yahoo. Our communication is so much more advanced than my friend and his SO. I do not foresee problems.

esun41

My SO knows much about me... my job, my state of residence, etc... I thought it was strange for her to tell me she needed to know my parents names but we practice anyway. I will tell her not to say "I don't know" This is good advice for her.

My friend in North Carolina just had his SO get her visa and travel to the USA in April. He says the interviewer asked her if she was a member of the Communist party, if she knew his birthday and how old her fiancee was and how they met. That was all! She could not speak in English and was asked if she knew any English. She said she knew little English. When I met her in Los Angeles, (I met him at LAX and waited with him before her flight arrived) she just said "Thank you" and "my name is ..." My SO speaks English much better and understands well when we talk on the phone and chat on yahoo. Our communication is so much more advanced than my friend and his SO. I do not foresee problems.

esun41

135398[/snapback]

One VO stated it was fine to say "I don't know", if that is the truth.. as opposed to guessing... but I generally agree that if you know the answer, then say it in chinese at least so they can see you know the answer...

here is the interview I'm referring to:

1. VO: how did you meet?

Hua: He was a tourist traveling in china and he was my customer.

2. VO: Have you been out of China?

Hua: yes to England for 3 months and 1 month in Thailand with him.

3. VO: Why did he travel to china?

Hua: He likes Chinese culture, food and traveling.

4. VO: When did you meet?

Hua: Dec 2002

5. VO: wow! he has been here over a 1.5 years. What has he been doing in China?

Hua: Spending time with me and Volunteer teaching English at local middle school. They pay for our accomod, food and apt in exchange for lessons.

6. VO: Does he have a university degree?

Hua: yes 4 year engineering degree

7. VO: You don't have to yell. (she must have spoken loudly)

Hua: Sorry she said I am nervous

8. VO: Don't worry. What is the name of his College?

Hua: (silent) tryng to remember (blurts out North Carolina)

9. VO: The name!! Just say you don't know if you can't remember this is not part of the test.

10. VO: you passed get your visa on Monday.