Any good asian, china, vietnam cookbooks?

Ok I got the cooking bug to learn a new dish every week, so any good cookbooks that are worth buying, viet namese would be nice but anything asian cookbook would work.

I never been a big rice eater but after going to Viet nam I been eatting a bowl everyday. still trying to understand the art of chopsticks

Robert

Ok I got the cooking bug to learn a new dish every week, so any good cookbooks that are worth buying, viet namese would be nice but anything asian cookbook would work.

I never been a big rice eater but after going to Viet nam I been eatting a bowl everyday. still trying to understand the art of chopsticks

Robert

I know what you mean about the chopsticks. I can mostly get the food to my mouth, but some foods are different and require more "technique?". I can now make some really good fried rice now and I then practice with the chopsticks... In atlanta there are many vietmanese resturants, so I go there for Pho... I knew a Vn lady that said it was cheaper to eat Pho in the resturant than to make it at home.

Goto www.foodtv.com and search for chinese and you will come up with many recipes for free.

Try Here:

http://www.khmerkromrecipes.com./

It is Cambodian however you can take the base

recipe and change the sauce and spices to suit

many regions.

If you want to cook Asian you need to learn the basics.

Cutting

Seasons

Cooking

Sauce

Once you get a few base recipes down the going is easy.

A curried beef or chicken dish is a good start.

For a low cost wok stove check here:

http://www.outdoorstirfry.com/products.htm

For a resturant quality wok check here:

https://www.acemart.com/merchant.mv

I also use pie pans to move food from the cutting board

to the wok. They make stirfry a snap and allow you to

keep your dish in balance.

Also, one tip on keeping you vedgetables fresh is

to put them in a pot or bucket of water and not the

the fridge. You want to keep them "alive" and enhance the flavor.

Happy Cooking :D

Love vietnamese food. Best in the summertime is the goi cuon or cuon diep. This uses the rice sticks, shrimp, and herbs. One is rolled in a rice wrapper, and the other is rolled in a lettuce leaf. i prefer the roamaine lettuce for this. Its great in the summer heat

using mint, basil and bean sprouts, and a meat of some kind. i know they say a slice of pork, and a slice of shrimp, but i use any sliced leftovers from the grill the day before.

The dipping suce is the key. You can make a sauce based with fish sauce, or a peanut sauce base. Experiment. It is nutritious, filling and does not heat up the house from cooking.

i use fish sauce in almost everything now. When choosing a fish sauce, look at the order of engrediants and fins one with the least amount of salt, flavor enhancers (MSG) or preservatives.

Fish sauce is great for stir fries because it thickens and use of cornstarch is not required. If you have never cooked with it before, do not be alarmed by the fishy smell as it begins to cook, it goes away quickly and does not taste like it smells.

:angry:

Love vietnamese food.  Best in the summertime is the goi cuon or cuon diep.  This uses the rice sticks, shrimp, and herbs.  One is rolled in a rice wrapper, and the other is rolled in a lettuce leaf.  i prefer the roamaine lettuce for this.  Its great in the summer heat

using mint, basil and bean sprouts, and a meat of some kind.  i know they say a slice of pork, and a slice of shrimp, but i use any sliced leftovers from the grill the day before.

The dipping suce is the key.  You can make a sauce based with fish sauce, or a peanut sauce base.  Experiment.  It is nutritious, filling and does not heat up the house from cooking.

i use fish sauce in almost everything now.  When choosing a fish sauce, look at the order of engrediants and fins one with the least amount of salt, flavor enhancers (MSG) or preservatives.

Fish sauce is great for stir fries because it thickens and use of cornstarch is not required.  If you have never cooked with it before, do not be alarmed by the fishy smell as it begins to cook, it goes away quickly and does not taste like it smells.

:lol:

132917[/snapback]

thanks

robert