• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My advice is buy her a separate PC since it is very cheap now.  Sharing a PC with my wife has messed up my PC many times.  Also, when she is on, then I can't get on. :o

As much as the partitioning does sound like a good idea (and I was also recently considering this), I did conclude as Tony... her own machine would really go a long way...

Send a PM to cosmiclobster on how to get chinese XP OS if needed...

Mike, there is an addon to XP Professional called the Multi Language Interface(MUI). The catch is that is is only available with their Volume licensing program or when purchasing a New computer with the OEM version of Windows XP Pro. In other words you won't find it on the shelf.

You can order this with a new computer from Dell, but you will need to talk to them directly and they will give you a hassle. I can lookup the Microsoft license info if you need it.

The other way is if the company you work for has a Volume License Agreement there is a chance you could get it through them.

I just loaded it here and it works great, all the default Windows icons and menus are in Chinese. There is also one for Office as well.

This does not do much for programs you load unless they provide the multi langauge files, not many have this option.

Two best ways to deal with this issue.

1. Have two computers, if simoutaneous use might become an issue.

2. The other is to partition the hard disk or add a second disk (this was my option). Load Chinese Windows XP on the second partition. The reason for this is most English version of programs do not allow for complete compatibility with Chinese. It can be difficult for her to navigate these programs. This way you can load other programs in the Chinese like:

1. Chinese Office XP

2. Chinese MSN Messenger

3. Chinese Yahoo Messenger

All programs and OS will be completely compatible. This to me was the most important factor.

Two best ways to deal with this issue.

1. Have two computers, if simoutaneous use might become an issue.

2. The other is to partition the hard disk or add a second disk (this was my option). Load Chinese Windows XP on the second partition. The reason for this is most English version of programs do not allow for complete compatibility with Chinese. It can be difficult for her to navigate these programs. This way you can load other programs in the Chinese like:

1. Chinese Office XP

2. Chinese MSN Messenger

3. Chinese Yahoo Messenger

All programs and OS will be completely compatible. This to me was the most important factor.

ok, I think I follow... you use the other partition or hard drive approach since you don't have to figure out how to get software from PC #1 over to a second PC, yes?

So, if we tie this back to the original post, suppose you partition or use second drive (maybe you need to answer them separately), can you tell the system when to boot up in english vs chinese ?

I use the two drive approach because we do not have enough room in our house for two computers. It is also nice because data on either drive is available to both users. She has a short cut to my pictures folder where our China and wedding pictures reside. I also keep a ghost image of each system on the other drive. I lose one drive, no problem, replace bad drive and reload from ghost image. Keeps from having to restore system by reloading OS and all programs.

You can easily network several computers together, no mater what Windows OS. I have loaded some of her Chinese programs from my laptop across the network.

On a multiple boot system, you will be presented with a screen which allows you to select the partition or drive you wish to boot. I have mine set to boot Chinese Windows XP by default. She doesn't need to worry. If she turn on the computer, it will come up in Chinese. I only need to make one quick selection during boot when I load my drive.

moving a drive to another machine "as-is" will preserve all data and program files and you don't have any hassle of 're-installing'...

You cannot really just 'copy' program files.. they have to be installed.. and so assumes you have all the original disks to do that...

Funny, it worked ok for me... Oh Yeah, that was DOS. :wub: :P :lol:

moving a drive to another machine "as-is" will preserve all data and program files and you don't have any hassle of 're-installing'...

You cannot really just 'copy' program files.. they have to be installed.. and so assumes you have all the original disks to do that...

Funny, it worked ok for me... Oh Yeah, that was DOS. :wub: :P :lol:

on a 80688 ? I can't even remember what that used to be for an OS! :lol:

heres a program that might help you out.......JStar Chinese IME is part of the NJStar Communicator. It is designed to enable you to type Chinese text into any desktop programs on standard English or western Windows without the need for a Chinese, Japanese or Korean operating system. Furthermore, It works equally well on Chinese, Japanese and Korean Windows.

NJStar Communicator

User friendly input bar interface, which can be docked, floated on desktop or auto hidden.

Input simplified and traditional Chinese characters.

Output code can be switched manually or automatically depending on the code being viewed.

Advanced Pinyin Input Method with intelligent word frequency sorting and learning.

Support Standard Pinyin, Double Pinyin, Zhuyin, Cantonese, Radical Lookup and many other input methods as well as user defined input methods.

Input directly as Unicode into Unicode enabled application such Microsoft Office 97 Products.

Easy phrase management enable faster typing; User defined Glossary for short-hand typing.

Learn Pinyin while you are using any input method.

Context sensitive help system and Tip of the Day get you started easier and faster.

NJStar Communicator Help - Copyright © NJStar Software Corp. 1991-2002 All Rights Reserved.

heres their website for more info.... http://www.njstar.com/

You need to have XP Pro.

The English XP can write in traditional Chinese.

control panel> Regional and language options

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/BuffaloBillsRock/downloadchinese.jpg

If you want all the menus, desktop and commands to be in Chinese then you will have to install the MUI (multi user interface) that includes Chinese, then you will be able to switch between an ENG interface and Chinese.

Since MUI is only sold in volume licencing, You can "share" the MUI pack including chinese on the edonkey p2p network, using a p2p client like emule. www.emule-project.net/ , scan all your downloads before opening them.

Wait , I just found the powertoy for XP , (not pro)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en

Office even supports speach recognition.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistan...0840991033.aspx

C4Racer, what does your boot.ini look like?