Safety When She Gets Here

Woohoo!!!! only 27 more days until my Wei gets here. :lol: :huh: :lol:

Things have really livened up over the past few weeks. Her company has offered to transfer her position over here on a p/t basis. We're thrilled, and think it will be a great way to help her adjust to life here, with some familiar names, if not faces, to work with, and she definitely won't be bored. In fact, we're going to be getting married pretty much as soon as she steps off the plane, so we can get cracking for the EAD filing. (Company's not getting involved in her immigration.)

Okay, enough pre-game. One concern about this job is that she'll need to take a one-hour, BART ride with a train change in Oakland, to and from work. It wouldn't bother me, but I definitely am putting myself in her shoes when I consider this. Has anyone considered any sort of personal safety devices for their SO? I'm also going to be looking around for classes (self-defense, personal safety) for women.

I'm just fishing for thoughts, ideas here.

Thanks, and enjoy your weekend.

Trev

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Since your in the SF/Oakland area, Remember what Clint said" The most powerful hand gun made" :o :D Just joking of course, I like Pauls Suggestion Martial Arts

Judging from your current avatar, I'd say not a problem. :lol:

Jingwen feels safer in America than she did in China. She's bothered more by the petty theft that was there but not really here where we live. She has been shielded from the real danger zones of the city, but I think martial arts would be a good thing to explore if you are concerned.

Actually, where we're at right now, Walnut Creek, is quite safe. Logistics dictate that she commute through this area where she will definitely be out of her comfort zone.

I don't think it's going to take long at all for her to gain confidence...but if I can help by giving her some tools to make that jump a bit more quickly, I'm all for it.

I thought about moving to a different area, but I just started a new job here, and the Bay Area is a great place for her to ease into US culture, with the huge Asian influence here.

I guess the good outweighs the bad, but living in most urbans areas in the US is a real nightmare.

Nothing like living in the country or by the ocean.

In the area of Jupiter where I live violent crime is all but non existent, so it creates a very relaxing atmosphere to go along with the beauty of the area.

Previously living in Philadelphia, has left permanent pictures of low quality of city life in my mind no matter where you are on the economic scale.

Ken

hmmm. Earthquakes and a few bad neighborhoods to travel through, or hurricanes (and sharkbites raising their ugly head again in Fl?) Not sure how much control we really have over our environment(s). I'm angling toward making the best out of the one we're in.

No knock on Jupiter intended here. Fl is awesome, and the water's warm.