Name Check Delay - No Help From Senator

Richard, the DOS is definitely the agency in charge of coordinating the second name check.  In our particular case, my Congressman's aide found a contact person who was really helpful, I will PM her name to you.  I would recommend you to try your other representatives.  On thing is clear to me: your senator's office did not had any intention to help you, and the person who got your case doesn't have the appropriate contacts at DOS.

dear mari. please tell me her name and telephone number, I don't get my P3 yet , it has been 8 months already. I am going crazy ...thanks for your help.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick update:

Sen. Feinstein's office telephoned me today to say that DOS had telephoned THEM requesting my SO's date of birth.

This seemingly insignificant event lifted my spirits. Even though it left me scratching my head (my SO's birth date is only on a zillion different documents) it also indicates that someone, somewhere, is trying to sort things out.

My guess is that duplicate name confusion has stalled the name check process, but that's only a guess.

I will mention that after my disappointment about the first letter I received from Feinstein's office, I not only wrote a letter back to her office, but also sent a strongly worded (but diplomatic) email to her Washington office. It's only speculation, but I'm guessing that email might have prompted a little more action than I got from her California main office in San Francisco.

Stay tuned!

When dealing with your representatives, you 'best' friend is their Aide. That is the person who will be doing the work for you. From time to time one comes across an Aide that thinks THEY are the Senator or Congressperson. No doubt your letter properly embarrassed the good Senator and she will make the necessary in-house corrections.

In the meantime... Congratulations!

When dealing with your representatives, you 'best' friend is their Aide.  That is the person who will be doing the work for you.  From time to time one comes across an Aide that thinks THEY are the Senator or Congressperson.  No doubt your letter properly embarrassed the good Senator and she will make the necessary in-house corrections.

In the meantime... Congratulations!

I agree with you to a large degree. The assitants and aides are on the front line of dealing with the day-to-day constituents with problems, doing the leg work and grunt work that enables the elected reps to do what they do.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, which has kind of wandered around a bit, it's not only important to find the right person with the right connections, but it's important to find the key that will unlock at least a little bit of motivation.

I honestly think it was my email directly to Sen. Feinstein that pushed things a bit. The assistant in the home office had pretty much scraped me off with a "nothing can be done" after two letters and a phone call.

My email to Feinstein was rather more pointed in the help I was requesting, and simply asked for some direct help from the senator. Whether or not she actually got involved I don't know. SOMETHING prompted DOS to call the senator's California office, which was a pretty substantial change from the eight-month long drone of no movement, no change, no information.

It's not all resolved yet, but there is at least a glimmer that something positive is happening.

There seems to be any one of a hundred reasons for the delays. I used to believe the line that "many other people with the same name are also waiting for visas", so they have to weed through the names.

But, this does not seem consistent with the idea that sometime prompted the right person to look into it... this seems to suggest a stand still and someone needs to get things in motion again. I think your right.

I think your approach is right too. Do what you can do, contact who you can contact.. and keep us informed.

There seems to be any one of a hundred reasons for the delays.    I used to believe the line that "many other people with the same name are also waiting for visas", so they have to weed through the names.   

But, this does not seem consistent with the idea that sometime prompted the right person to look into it... this seems to suggest a stand still and someone needs to get things in motion again.  I think your right.

I think your approach is right too.  Do what you can do, contact who you can contact.. and keep us informed.

I've pretty much given up trying to discover the real reasons for delays at any point in the K-1/K-3 process. I'm sure the duplicate name situation does happen, but I think that's being a bit overworked as an excuse for delays.

The fact that DOS had to request my SO's DOB from the senator's home office really makes me wonder who's been doing what with our paperwork for the last eight months. I mean, think about it. It's so absurd I actually laughed (AFTER I got off the phone with the senator's assistant!)

Unfortunately, it's these bureaucratic small errors, oversights and confusions that end up causing the delays - and are the hardest to actually discover and fix from way outside the loop.

You just have to keep asking the questions until something shakes loose. I hope this is a sign of some "shaking loose" for us!

my fiance wrote letters to congressman and senator again this week, now have to wait to see.

I have my fingers crossed for you (for good luck!).

Don't forget - we have a holiday this weekend, which could add a few days to your wait time for a response.