Civil Surgeons

Does anybody know where I can find concrete evidence of what is required from the civil surgeon when all the shots were received in China?

We went to the Civil Surgeon yesterday with the shot card and as I expected they told me she needed more than just a signature and a sealed envelope. :P I used the same CS for the wife. This time it's for the daughter.

"Oh, you need a TB test. It's been more than three months since her physical"

They then charged me 140 bucks and told us to come back in two days.

I have had nothing but grief when dealing with these people, and the sad part is they were the nicest of the 5 offices I called (at least they were not rude on the phone).

I would like to go back tommorrow with evidence in hand showing them the error of their ways. :P

It's all up to the CS's discretion. I believe the point of having designated civil surgeons is to leave the decision up to them. If one civil surgeon says you're ok, CIS can't argue with it, since they designated the CS. You just have to find one that'll sign off on what you've got. Most of them are looking to make money, so they'll want to do a physical, give a tb test, etc etc. I had to call around 20 of them before finding one that would sign off.

I drove an hour away to Santa Barbara when there were three civil surgeons about 5 minutes from my house. They tried to give us the TB test, a full exam, a 3 shot minimum and I told them, she had her tests already, we just need them to sign off on the vaccinations!!!

To answer your question, there is no standard set of "required" vaccinations.

It totally depends on the civil surgeon. We used Chinese and Russian documents with no English on them as evidence of her vaccinations and the Doc took our word for it.

I would get a certified translation of her "yellow book" showing all of the vaccines she has had. If you look at the I-693 suppliment, you can see all of the possible shots. If she has had all of her childhood shots then there should not be any additional ones necessary. Many of the vaccines are not indicated for a child.

I would stop payment on the check and tell them you'll give them $20 or $30 to just fill out the I-693 and put it in the sealed envelope, but that's just me.

Take a look at a I-693 form and do some research.

Update:

We went back yesterday to get the envelope and have the doctor check the TB test. It was the first time we got to meet him instead of a nurse or office assistant.

He was very cordial and after waiting an hour in the waiting room and 15 minutes in the exam room he spent a whole 3 minutes with us. He signed the form and walked us out to the payment desk and said good bye.

But wait!!! He comes back and says let me take a look at her arm. OK.

The only reason we had to go back was because of the TB test, :blink:wasn't it?

At least they didn't charge me any more money for the second visit.

I have read what other people have been charged in different parts of the country and it just floors me that in Florida (The "low cost of living state" or so they tell you when they offer you low wages and lots of sunshine to work here) It ended up costing me 3 days off work and a total of 375 dollars in fees. OUCH!!

Took my wife to the "civil surgeon" in R'oke today. The hardest part about it was trying to find the damn place! He had moved his office to another location! The appointment was for 10:00. We finally walked in the door at 10:45. I told the receptionist that I had a hard time finding the place because y'all had moved. She said, "well, your 45 minutes late. you'll have to come back at 2:00." That's when I let her have both barrels!..........lol.

About that time, one of the nurses stepped in and said, "get them signed in." I was glad to hear that, afterall, it's a 70 min. drive for us, not to mention the frantic car driving I was doing around the city, that got my poor wife car sick, trying to find that confounded office!

Well, after the dust had settled, the nurse took my wife in and drew some blood for HIV testing and then gave her a TB skin test. My wife will go on Monday to our local health dept. for the reading. They will fax the results back to the doc in Roanoke. On Thursday, she will go back to the health dept. for two shots, tetanus and MMR, and will fax the verification form back to the doc. The good doctor will then sign off on it and have the I-693 mailed to us.

The damage?,,,.........................$184.50

Marty and tywy: You both got reamed!!!

Marty just for the dollar amount and tywy for the TESTS which are not part of the VACCINATIONS for the vaccination suppliment.

I had to tell my "civil" surgeon 2 or 3 times that she had ALL of her tests. Her Chinese papers had Elisa in English on them. That is the test for AIDS or HIV and I had to point that out to the Doc a few times before she finally backed down.

Buyer Beware!

Marty and tywy: You both got reamed!!!

Marty just for the dollar amount and tywy for the TESTS which are not part of the VACCINATIONS for the vaccination suppliment.

I had to tell my "civil" surgeon 2 or 3 times that she had ALL of her tests. Her Chinese papers had Elisa in English on them. That is the test for AIDS or HIV and I had to point that out to the Doc a few times before she finally backed down.

Buyer Beware!

Just going thru the formalities, Steve.

I'm getting tired of always running into a brick wall with these people. So, if they say jump,,, I'll say, "How high?"

Whatever it takes to get the "coveted" alien registration card.

They know you need something from them, and add on what ever they want to increase the profit. They must also assume you won't be coming back. The CS we went to has his office in the city I work for. They may be seeing me again, but not as a customer.

The TB test was not needed but did I want to spend another minute there longer than I had too arguing about it only to have the sign off held hostage? Nope.

We are still waiting for July 8th to get her medical check up.  She came over with a K-1 visa, with the medical exam to get over here in the first place, yet still they requested an additional one. :blink:

Mark: Call a number of civil surgeons until you find one that knows the rules a little better!

It seems that some of these "civil" surgeons are so accustomed to taking advantage of unknowing immigrants that they are starting to make their own rules!

Just my 2 yuan, of course!

We are still waiting for July 8th to get her medical check up.  She came over with a K-1 visa, with the medical exam to get over here in the first place, yet still they requested an additional one. :angry:

Mark: Call a number of civil surgeons until you find one that knows the rules a little better!

It seems that some of these "civil" surgeons are so accustomed to taking advantage of unknowing immigrants that they are starting to make their own rules!

Just my 2 yuan, of course!

Unfortunately, this was requested by the USCIS. I got the yellow slip asking for additional evidence. :blink:

We are still waiting for July 8th to get her medical check up.  She came over with a K-1 visa, with the medical exam to get over here in the first place, yet still they requested an additional one. :blink:

My stepdaughter has an appointment in Norfolk for fingerprinting on July 8th.

The USCIS gave me a choice between Norfolk or Charleston, WV.

It wasn't a hard choice for me!.................