When in China

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Dan said prices are higher in poor areas for the same goods.  I would think KC is richer than middle of nowhere.

Obviously haven't been to Kansas City, or are you speaking of money? :lol:

Never been to KC. I would think buying land there would be more money than middle of nowhere.

Probably, unless the city condemned it. They have a bad habit of doing that around here and you really discover the price of land. :lol:

Just wish Feathers would get back and give us an update, probably getting ugly stares from the Marine guards for pacing around the consulate grumbling under his breath. :P

Can you give us some examples?  I know in California, you can get produce pretty cheap.  Also, real estates are higher than Texas and other Southern States.

Just a simple example from the midwest, say gas costs $2.03 in Kansas City you travel south 100-150 miles to the middle of no where and you will usually find it for $1.70-1.80 on the same day, now this gas is delivered from the same depot in Kansas City and costs more, must be cheaper to truck it the extra miles. <_<

They got the supply and demand what they desire for it...

Sorta reminds me of an aggie joke. :lol: :lol:

But Dan said prices are higher in poor areas for the same goods. I would think KC is richer than middle of nowhere.

But that gasoline may have been refined in Los Angeles where it usually runs 10 to 15 cents over the national average. Produce in the better areas of L.A. is usually highest in the so called ghettos.

As you point out the further a product is shipped the cheaper it gets. This is called discounting to get excess out of the area to keep up prices locally. Internationally it is called dumping. Chicken from Georgia sells much cheaper in L.A. than in Georgia. Another factor in the midwest is subsidizing of gas in rural areas as farm relief.

Ok, next one.

Last night at dinner, Jen says she forgot the friut when we were out shopping. :huh: So after dinner, it's off to get it. Now I've seen this thing before. I've heard about it and was told to fear it. She told me the name in Chinese, I'm not even going to pretend to remember what it is called. It looks like a cross between a pineapple and some midevial torcher divice. :( I was told this thing has a strong smell, and ohhh the taste. :D Maybe I'm just blinded by my love and happiness that this is over, but I saw, I ate, and I even enjoyed. :lol: And yes, as I am writing this, I'm wearing my new slippers we bought while shopping yesterday.

Jen was actually jelous of them and wanted some of her own. Even though I bought her new shoes, bath towels, and a few other items, as well as give some money to go off with her friend tomorrow for 24 hours of shopping, guess we will put one more thing down for today. :P

So yes my friends, the domestification of Jim has begun in ernest, and I would not want it any other way. :wub: :wub:

Ok, next one.

Last night at dinner, Jen says she forgot the friut when we were out shopping. :huh: So after dinner, it's off to get it. Now I've seen this thing before. I've heard about it and was told to fear it. She told me the name in Chinese, I'm not even going to pretend to remember what it is called. It looks like a cross between a pineapple and some midevial torcher divice. :( I was told this thing has a strong smell, and ohhh the taste. :D Maybe I'm just blinded by my love and happiness that this is over, but I saw, I ate, and I even enjoyed. :lol: And yes, as I am writing this, I'm wearing my new slippers we bought while shopping yesterday.

Jen was actually jelous of them and wanted some of her own. Even though I bought her new shoes, bath towels, and a few other items, as well as give some money to go off with her friend tomorrow for 24 hours of shopping, guess we will put one more thing down for today. :P

So yes my friends, the domestification of Jim has begun in ernest, and I would not want it any other way. :wub:  :wub:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/tv_and_radio/50eats45.shtml

It sounds like Durian.

It sounds like Durian.

If you can get past the personal hygiene problems of this forbidden fruit, the flavour, which is like custard and strawberries, is appealing - to some, at least. The Javanese believe it to have aphrodisiacal qualities

That's the animal alright, but after learning this, what Jen wants, Jen gets. :lol:

It sounds like Durian.

If you can get past the personal hygiene problems of this forbidden fruit, the flavour, which is like custard and strawberries, is appealing - to some, at least. The Javanese believe it to have aphrodisiacal qualities

That's the animal alright, but after learning this, what Jen wants, Jen gets. :lol:

Are you referring to the aphrodisasiac properties? :P

It sounds like Durian.

Are you referring to the aphrodisasiac properties? :P

No, I think Jim is referring to the his early training going very well. B) :lol: :lol:

I believe he said the eyes have it and she has the most beautiful eyes.

Yep.. durian... personally, I don't like it... Fei does, but we haven't bought it here in the local Chinese markets --- even though it is common .... not that cheap...

(where this thread began...) Fei and I both have the same reaction about chicken feet ---- too sticky! Could make glue out of it! ("They shoot horses don't they?")

Does anyone else notice that in some "meat and potatos" cities throughout China that people hang ducks with their laundry from thei balconies?? I first saw that in Nanjing in the 1990's, and have seen it since --- (mostly inland cities..) --- Sort of a "keeping up with the Jones'" sort of thing ---- "LOOK! We have a duck!

:blink:

Yup,

Training coming along just fine. She is off on an overnighter tomorrow with a friend she hasn't seen in a while for a day of shopping. Handed her 1000 rmb and she snatched it up without hesitation. :rolleyes: And yes those eyes. :wub: But then seeing her in the wedding gown was such a thrill today. Still can't believe they are letting me keep her. B)

And yes, I am enjoying my slippers. :P

I like how the chinese style chicken and duck feet but I wouldn't go out of my way to get one. Too much cartilage and skin, and it's an exercise of spitting out small bones. Then again I wouldn't eat some of these American delicacies - rattlesnake (probably good) or rabbit (too dry) or alligator (Canjun or not, cannot get used to the fishy chicken taste). One time I was in Pennsylvania and went to a wildgame feast sponsored by a local fire dept and I tried bear, squirrel, and a few other wild animal meat. Some are quite good.

"hang ducks with their laundry from thei balconies" or other meat. In the US, it's done at the meat packer and it's called "aging" or "curing" to allow it to rot a little bit and is natural tenderizing. With beef, it gives it a special flavor. One pays a bit more for that kind of beef.