Travel after Green Card

I had always assumed that until a person is naturalized, he/she would travel on his/her original passport. For Jingwen, also a green card holder, I think that she would be able to travel to China without the need for a Chinese visa - just her Chinese passport and ID. For her travel back to the US, her Chinese passport and her green card should do the trick.

If I am wrong, I hope someone chimes in quickly.

Where is Eric when we need him? Him and Yuhui traveled all over the world. All Yi needs to travel to China and back George is her Chinese passport and her green card. Don't worry about name change her passport will have an AOS stamp inside it. Do make sure you buy the tickets in the same name as her passport though or they won't let her on the plane.

Sounded like I need to purchase the air ticket using her Chinese passport name, but wouldn't that be a problem re-entering U.S because the last names on the air ticket and her greencard are not the same?

Perhaps we should have her Chinese passport's name change to what's on her greencard. That will solve the problem don't you think? Does anyone know long would that take to have her name change?

Has anyone here taken their green-card holding SO to Mexico?

This is from one of the Mexican consulates, http://www.consulmexsj.com/tourist%20card.html :

TOURIST THAT ARE PERMANENT RESIDENTS IN THE U.S.

When you travel to Mexico as a tourist, it is necessary to present to the immigration authorities a tourist card, better known as (FMT). You can obtain it at the Consulate of Mexico, at the international airport or at any port of entry in Mexico.

The permanent residents in the United States and Canada will be able to enter Mexico by showing their permanent resident card or a stamped seal in your passport in which this situation is validated, as long as you enter Mexico through the United States or Canada.

Because of possible changes resulting from US changes in requiring passports, etc. ( http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html ), I would double check before I went.

• 2 weeks later...
Sounded like I need to purchase the air ticket using her Chinese passport name, but wouldn't that be a problem re-entering U.S because the last names on the air ticket and her greencard are not the same? 

Perhaps we should have her Chinese passport's name change to what's on her greencard.  That will solve the problem don't you think?  Does anyone know long would that take to have her name change?

Bing came home today after being gone 3 weeks in China. No problem re-entering the country. She said she wasn't quite sure how to fill out the form they give them on the airplane so she just used her maiden name since that's what it says on the passport. When she came through customs and immigration they looked at her passport and ran her green card through a card reader and handed them back to her. That's it no trouble.

• 1 month later...
Spouses can't get a US passport until they are US citizens. For any travel outside of the US, they are Chinese citizens and travel on their Chinese passport. The green card is only good for their reentry into the US. The only country I know for sure that is easy for a Chinese citizen with a green card to enter is Canada, although there may be others.

125864[/snapback]

And Mexico...

However, it seems that most European Countries will issue a travel visa to a person holding a valid Green Card.

Does anyone have experience to the contrary?

Thanks!