Problem with chinese notary

Typically the I-864 is signed by the USC. If you are in the US- any notary licensed by the state is adequate. IF getting it notarized in China you need one of the US Consulars to notarize it- NOT a Chinese notary. Normally they do NOT charge a fee for the I-864 or other immigration documents. Either way the person signing it SHOULD be physically present and ID verified.

Again I don't quite see where her signature is required if she is the NON citizen? Are you trying to use her assets/employment there??? acw

I am looking at my I-864 and I only see the area for the USC signature. It then must be stamped by a US notary.

Second, You do not need the I-864 for interview.You will need the I-134. Similar form, but not as binding. The I-134 simply states you have enough income to support someone if they allow them to enter the US. The I-864 states you agree to support this person for the next three years regardless.

I-134 used by the consulate at interview.

I-864 used by USCIS during AOS.

Neither form requires the signature of the sponsored person, only the USC.

Guest blsqueaky

I am looking at that the I-864, and there is a place on Page six that asks for a signature, and this is only if someone other than the sponsor prepared, but Ross, I would assume that you are the one that filed it out, so it would have to be your sig notorized, unless there is another new form since 11/01

No it asks for the sponsored persons signature on page 4.

Unless the form is different from the one on the USCIS website ( http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/f...files/I-864.pdf ), I'm not seeing a place for the sponsored immigrant to sign.

Having said that, are you by chance referring to the I-864A ( http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/f...iles/I-864A.pdf )? This form can be used by the sponsored immigrant in his or her capacity as a household member. If so, the sponsored immigrant must get his or her signature notarized.

Yes sorry the 864 -a, does that only need to be signed if we are using her money for the 864? Or does it need to be signed no matter what?

Ross

The I-864A is not required unless the household member's income and assets are being used to meet the requirements. If you are not going to rely on your wife's income/assets, you don't need it. Also, make sure your wife meets the definition of a household member as shown in the instructions.

Assuming your wife will have to sign the 864A, her signature will have to either be notarized or signed in front of an immigration or consular official. If you can't get it notarized locally, maybe she can bring the original unsigned copy with her to the interview and sign it in front of VO. Jingwen did this with certain of the other forms that had to be signed that way.

One example of some info on this..

I-864 Fact Sheet:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/fa...eets/affaqa.htm

11. Is only the sponsor's income included in the determination of whether he or she has sufficient income to be a sponsor?

Income of anyone related to the sponsor by birth, marriage, or adoption who has lived in the sponsor's household for at least 6 months or who is listed on the sponsor's income tax return for the most recent tax year as a dependent can include their income on the affidavit of support if they complete and sign a Form I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member. This could include the sponsored immigrant's income.

12. What is the Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member, Form I-864A?

The Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member, Form I-864A, is a contract between the sponsor and anyone qualifying as a household member or dependent of the sponsor who agrees to make his or her income and/or assets available for the support of the immigrants being sponsored in the affidavit of support. By signing this form, household members agree to be jointly responsible with the sponsor to reimburse the costs of any means-tested public benefits used by the sponsored immigrants.

13. If the sponsored immigrant qualifies as a household member or dependent, do they need to sign the I-864A?

A sponsored immigrant household member only needs to submit an I-864A if his or her income will be used to support his or her accompanying spouse and/or children. If there are no accompanying family members, the sponsored immigrant does not complete the I-864A. The sponsored immigrant does not need to complete an I-864A for his or her assets to be included on the affidavit of support.