Does Your Lady Cook Western Food?

I thought it might be interesting to share with one another whether or not your SO has learned to cook western food, and if so, what is her or his specialty?

Li is a great cook, hands down. Whether it be Chinese cuisine or Western fare, she is an artist. Her favorite is Rib Eye steak, which she broils slowly on the stove top or, sometimes in the oven. She has also learned to make great Mexican food, particularly succulent burritos and enchiladas. Yum Yum!

Her next project is trying her hand at cooking on the grill outside. I can't wait.

How is it with you folks? :D

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far I have had no luck with trying to get my Luli to like just about any western foods. She is a great Chinese food cook and she finds western food bland and uninteresting with too much meat. She is from Hunan but has learned to tone down her dishes for my taste. She has also learned to use more meat for American tastes. She made dinner for 6 last weekend and whipped out 8 dishes but she had to say that some of them were not real Chinese food but adaptations for western tastes. I actually think that part of it is her desire to remain very Chinese and not be influenced so much by western ways. So far the only other cuisine we have sampled has been East Indian and she did enjoy a very hot vindaloo. I think she might enjoy some Mexican cooking so I will try that on her next. She has promised to learn western cooking so that when we return to Hunan to live she can cook real western food for me as Huaihua only offers KFC and McD's. I think she will enjoy grilled food but so far I have only made hamburgers once on the grill this season. Of course we have only been home now for all of 3 weeks so I'm sure there are many changes to come... :o :D

Roger you must not have introduced her to American Cajun cooking. I haven't served had a Chinese yet refuse Creole Crawdads. Ping says "I can make Chinese food, out we will have American. I think she means steaks. :D I haven't been to one of those in six years. That time they didn't have any alternative on the menu and I was struck with a small salad while everyone ate. I'm asking around to see if any of my friends will take her out for American food. So far the only one I know is my ex. :D

Roger you must not have introduced her to American Cajun cooking. I haven't served had a Chinese yet refuse Creole Crawdads. Ping says "I can make Chinese food, out we will have American. I think she means steaks.  :D  I haven't been to one of those in six years. That time they didn't have any alternative on the menu and I was struck with a small salad while everyone ate. I'm asking around to see if any of my friends will take her out for American food. So far the only one I know is my ex.  :D

That's a good suggestion Dan. We'll give Cajun a try and I will report in... :lol:

Let us know. The other item easy to make for both tastes is Hot Wings. The vinegar and tobasco sauce is easy to adjust for the taste. Other than people from Guangdong who have sweet sauces I haven't had any success with American sweet BBQ. However a great BBQ sauce can be made mixing soy sauce, catsup and a bit of honey, garlic and crushed chilis.

Let us know. The other item easy to make for both tastes is Hot Wings. The vinegar and tobasco sauce is easy to adjust for the taste. Other than people from Guangdong who have sweet sauces I haven't had any success with American sweet BBQ. However a great BBQ sauce can be made mixing soy sauce, catsup and a bit of honey, garlic and crushed chilis.

I do make hot wings and I will make that when little sister Minty is here in 2 weeks. I got a great BBQ sauce recipe for the wings from an old friend. His brother won it in a poker game from the owner of the most famous rib and wing place in Rochester, NY. Or so the story goes anyway... :o :huh: :o

Guest blsqueaky

No, Ling will eat it in Western restruant, and she now has many varried taste. Her one favorite is the Homestyle Buffet, as far as cooking, I am the one that does that, allowed 2 times a month, normally ribs or steak, plus slow cooker, but she is learning. Loves banquet hot and spicy wings

Do you mean Hoisan Sauce?

Nope, she only cooks Chinese with the exception of microwaved corn dogs. she loves em.

Li really likes those corn dogs too. She has found a way to steam them in a steamer. :lol: :lol:

A bit soft but very interesting indeed. :lol: :lol:

I thought it might be interesting to share with one another whether or not your SO has learned to cook western food, and if so, what is her or his specialty?

Li is a great cook, hands down. Whether it be Chinese cuisine or Western fare, she is an artist. Her favorite is Rib Eye steak, which she broils slowly on the stove top or, sometimes in the oven. She has also learned to make great Mexican food, particularly succulent burritos and enchiladas. Yum Yum!

Her next project is trying her hand at cooking on the grill outside. I can't wait.

How is it with you folks? :lol:

Mick,

Remember to eat fish (which you don't like) and avoid fatty food like steak and Mexican food. My wife also loves Rib eye steak but she grills it. She also loves steam clams.