disaster, help needed!!

Indeed I stand corrected ... K-3 visas are essentially multiple-entry visas.

Tony - I think Frank's above posk/link is a good way to go. Click that link and start there.

I think she should go to the American Embassy in Beijing and act as if she is an American citizen with a lost US passport. Hopefully someone there at the embassy gate will understand the situation she's in, and she'll be able to get some help there. There's no way you guys should have to "start over"! Good luck, keep us posted.

P.S. If anything, she should *try* to get the Embassy to report the loss to Guangzhou rather than her going to Guangzhou and try to do it herself. I would think that a "loss report" or whatever would carry more weight coming from the Embassy more than anything else.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great link Frank!

yes.. good catch.. here's the text:

Applying for a Replacement United States Visa

Lost/stolen U.S. visas cannot be replaced in the United States. For replacement of a visa, you must apply in person at an Embassy or Consulate abroad. When applying for the replacement of a visa, you will need to provide a written account documenting the loss of your passport and visa. Include a copy of the police report.

and here's the problem(?):

1) ABROAD: SO nearest one ABROAD ??

2) Police report.. if one is going to do it at GUZ, the report would be in chinese, so are we talking 'translated and notorized' ?

Thank you so much for all you help. The link is very helpful. I talked to a immigration lawyer this morning and he won't even accept my case. :rolleyes:

Also, the link says "you must apply in person at the Embassy or Consulate abroad for a new visa." hopefully, it won't take another 10 month.

to make the situation worse, I received a notice from Atlanta office today saying my wife's fingerprint is about to expire. The new fingerprint appointment scheduled on 06/11. I checked the Atlanta process data, the AOS date is 06/30/2003 now, just one and half month till the date we appied the AOS. :blink: :ph34r:

K3 is good for multiple entries for 2 years.

If she is near Beijing, then it's best go to the US Embassy in Beijing. Report to GZ, and also call the embassy in Beijing. Beijing may be able to process something like this, or help guide (or contact) someone in GZ who knows what he/she is doing.

Do you have a copy of the visa page, or the number?

Guangzhou is pathetic and they only specialized in processing new applicants, and they are supremely slo-poke idjuts, specially if you get to talk to one of the riff-raff VO. Ouch!!

we talked with both the embassy and the immigration office in Beijing. Beijing turned her case down and told her to go to GZ (final decision).

Somehow, she managed to reach the DHS office in GZ. so far, they are still investigate her case (been a week now). If the DHS won't handle her case, they only way is to get the package #3 and reapply for the K3 visa.

btw, since her I-130 is approved already, how long does it to take to get her green card if apply it in GZ?

Sorry to hear about your problems. Surely there must be a way to get an replacement K3 visa for your wife without have to go through the hassle of starting from square one again, wait another 10 months.

Have you tried to contact your US congressman or better yet US Senator?

I would try to gather up all the proof that you have that you two are married, and talk your US Senator's office or Congressman. Maybe they can call the DHS in GZ and if that fails have them contact the US Embassy in GZ to expedite the process.

Good luck

Sorry about this Tony!

Personally, I would take this issue directly to King in GZ --- his office is close to the consulate, and he has dealings on a regular basis with many DOS officials there.

Even back in the relatively innocent pre- 9-11 days of my first adoption in GZ the VO warned us to protect our child's documents with our lives ---- since they were then worth about $10,000 USD on the street, and that the Consulate would be highly skeptical, IE: make it very difficult to replace said documents if they were lost..

Obviously, replacement documents are another frequently abused route to illegal entry to the US, so the sad fact is that you may have to drag replacements out of State... Thus, if I were in your shoes --- I'd get local GZ legal advice about how best to proceed.

In the eyes of State ---- either Beijing, or GZ ---- to have a PRC citizen come and ask for repacements strikes me as a very difficult row to hoe....

Good Luck, and keep us posted!

good news.  The DHS office at GZ will issue my wife a five day visa to let her get back to the States and wait for the green card. 

if everything goes smoothly, I won't need to reschedule the plane ticket for her.

:)

I am glad everything is okay now.

This is maybe what GZ went on when they gave her the 5 day temp Visa to get back to the states?

Permanent resident alien registration cards (commonly known as Form I-551 "green cards")can be issued or replaced only by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) (USCIS) in the United States. The Embassy is unable to issue a replacement green card. If you left your alien registration card in the United States, you should ask friends or relatives there to send you the card by express mail.

If you have lost your alien card, the embassy may be able to issue you a transportation letter which would permit you to return to the United States. In order to issue such a letter, the Embassy must interview you and obtain confirmation of your resident alien status. Knowing your alien registration number will expedite the process. Please note that the Embassy may also request documentary proof of when you last departed from the U.S. There is a fee of $165 for this service