Any experience shipping CD¡¯s to China?

I want to send my SO a set of the Pimsleur CDs to help her with English, but I don¡¯t seem to be able to understand what is allowed through Chinese customs using Global Express Mail, UPS, DHL or FedEx or even how it would be best to declare the contents.

Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

If you don't have to have it there in like 3-4 days, check out the Post Office. Several of the air mail /priority options will get it quickly and save you some money.

Anyjing opther than paper has to be identfied, soem something like "Gift, CDROM, and a nominal value should do the trick

The best way my SO learn English is by talking to me often, by phone every day. Weekday nights 15 - 20 minutes, before she goes to bed. Weekends Saturday mornings and nights, and Sunday mornings and nights, 60 - 90 minutes each.

I have sent cd's by regular airmail and it arrived within 10 - 14 days.

Thanks for all the help, I'll get them sent tomorrow.

Bubbafred, I agree with you about the phone calls. She has been so self-conscious about her English it has taken a long while to get where we talk almost every day.

She has told me it is difficult not being able to speak English with others and I am hoping these will give her more confidence in her pronunciation. I know their CD¡¯s have been helping me to learn Chinese.

Thanks again.

Bubbafred, I agree with you about the phone calls. She has been so self-conscious about her English it has taken a long while to get where we talk almost every day.

She has told me it is difficult not being able to speak English with others and I am hoping these will give her more confidence in her pronunciation. I know their CD??s have been helping me to learn Chinese.

Thanks again.

where do you rate her english ? Did she speak it at all at your first meeting?

She has told me it is difficult not being able to speak English with others and I am hoping these will give her more confidence in her pronunciation. I know their CD??s have been helping me to learn Chinese.

Thanks again.

In November she had very limited vocabulary, much better than my Chinese. On my second trip she insisted we try to speak only in English, we were able to communicate about many things with a little effort.

One day when we were with her friends she gave them lessons on pronunciation. The greatest fun was explaining the difference between smell and smile. :lol: :D

Her grasp of the written language is amazing and often on the phone we will spell a word and then pronounce it. But at times I regress and tell her that I smell alot, it always gets a laugh and then she corrects me.

Over all she is doing great, I have concerns about the interview based on some of the VO's, but plan to have a few cover letters in her hand.

Thanks again.

In November she had very limited vocabulary, much better than my Chinese. On my second trip she insisted we try to speak only in English, we were able to communicate about many things with a little effort.

One day when we were with her friends she gave them lessons on pronunciation. The greatest fun was explaining the difference between smell and smile. :lol: :D

Her grasp of the written language is amazing and often on the phone we will spell a word and then pronounce it. But at times I regress and tell her that I smell alot, it always gets a laugh and then she corrects me.

Over all she is doing great, I have concerns about the interview based on some of the VO's, but plan to have a few cover letters in her hand.

my SO, Zixuan, could not speak english on our first meeting.. she has struggled since then.. even after my second trip of two months. But she works at it every day and we talk twice daily. But I don't think her english will be 'interview ready'...

my SO, Zixuan,  could not speak english on our first meeting.. she has struggled since then.. even after my second trip of two months.  But she works at it every day and we talk twice daily.  But I don't think her english will be 'interview ready'...

I know what you mean, but I would hope they are looking for more than being able to speak English fluently. Min is able to communicate quiet well. In a complex conversation it is a combination of written, translator and spoken language. My hope is they look at her effort to communicate clearly.

Now for a student visa English is more of a requirement.