Confidence for Interview

well, trevor, thanks a lot. just reading this thread feels great. :blink:

i think we all have this mental picture of the nervous, insecure SO walking to the VO vs. the smiling confident SOs who says "good morning, sir!" :o

we all want our SO to be the later.... it's gotta help. i know my SO can do it, i just hope she won't let her nerves take over. :unsure:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I read a different sheet of facts :angry: . I think it just boils down to attitude. Particularly since the facts are on paper and in a VO's head that we aren't privy to.

All I know is that my SO knows how to deal with officials and has been studying English for two years. She is well prepared. If we face additional delays (I wouldn't call it failing) we will deal with it. I would much prefer though that we pass this stage on schedule.

Maybe I read a different sheet of facts  :angry: . I think it just boils down to attitude. Particularly since the facts are on paper and in a VO's head that we aren't privy to.

All I know is that my SO knows how to deal with officials and has been studying English for two years. She is well prepared. If we face additional delays (I wouldn't call it failing) we will deal with it. I would much prefer though that we pass this stage on schedule.

no doubt in my mind she'll pass with flying colors...with CFL behind ya.

What is the interview setting like? Is there a glass barrier separating the VO and the SO? If so, there must be a slot (like in a ticket booth) to pass documents. Is the slot big enough to slip a 1-inch binder?

I plan to put the documents in two or three 3-ring one inch thick binders.

What's "SO" an acronym of ?

"VO" is visa officer.

What is the interview setting like?  Is there a glass barrier separating the VO and the SO?  If so, there must be a slot (like in a ticket booth) to pass documents.  Is the slot big enough to slip a 1-inch binder? 

"VO" is visa officer.

1 inch binders are supposedly too big... the best approach I have heard is a 9 folder approach ! or one of those accordian binders to pull out the info you need.

SO as 'significant other' is really coined by a pschologist in the 50s I believe..

well, trevor,  thanks a lot. just reading this thread feels great. B)

i think we all have this mental picture of the nervous, insecure SO walking to the VO vs. the smiling confident SOs who says "good morning, sir!" :D

we all want our SO to be the later.... it's gotta help. i know my SO can do it, i just hope she won't let her nerves take over.  <_<

I'm like you.. not sure exactly how my Zixuan will be when face to face... all I can do is prep her the best possibly way without it appearing as a stressful experience before the interview even starts!

well, trevor,  thanks a lot. just reading this thread feels great. B)

i think we all have this mental picture of the nervous, insecure SO walking to the VO vs. the smiling confident SOs who says "good morning, sir!" :D

we all want our SO to be the later.... it's gotta help. i know my SO can do it, i just hope she won't let her nerves take over.  <_<

I'm like you.. not sure exactly how my Zixuan will be when face to face... all I can do is prep her the best possibly way without it appearing as a stressful experience before the interview even starts!

I was almost to the point of not even acknowledging the interview, if that makes any sense. it started to put a strain on the relationship, and actually overtook our day-to-day lives.

well, trevor,  thanks a lot. just reading this thread feels great. B)

we all want our SO to be the later.... it's gotta help. i know my SO can do it, i just hope she won't let her nerves take over.  <_<

I was almost to the point of not even acknowledging the interview, if that makes any sense. it started to put a strain on the relationship, and actually overtook our day-to-day lives.

I know what your saying.. what I've done is been very selective as to what she needs to know... sticking to the bare facts and steps. As we get closer and closer, we talk more and more about the interview. For now, Zixuan is working on her english but I have real doubts it will be 'interview ready'... Once she gets the P4, I'm going over there for the weeks leading up to the interview and we'll cover interview questions, how to organize the folders, what to expect, etc. Although both of us are supremely confident in our relationship, exactly how that translates during the interview is an unknown. I'm completely prepared for any color to be given... and equally prepared to take care the next step if needed...

What is the interview setting like?  Is there a glass barrier separating the VO and the SO?  If so, there must be a slot (like in a ticket booth) to pass documents.  Is the slot big enough to slip a 1-inch binder? 

"VO" is visa officer.

dude, you're almost to your fourth blue thingy!!!

Just prepare for the worst and hope for the best. YOU WILL BE TOGETHER!!!

Trevor: Glad to hear that she got the visa with no problem!!

As I have advised others, BE CONFIDENT! Many have said before that her fate has been decided before the interview. I agree with David, that one of the main functions of the interview is for the VO to visually verify the authenticity of the relationship, which can only be done by a gut reaction of the VO. So if you look and feel like you belong there and she deserves to get the visa, I believe you will get it.

Just my 2 yuan, of course!

Wow,

Once again the timely posting of a topic. This touches not only on the fears I know Jen will have, but me as well. Having made a dreadful mistake a while ago of telling her of possible problems about language issues I had to go on damage control to calm her down. Fortunatly, that was many months ago and for the most part I've brought her around but I know it is still there in her mind as she does mention it from time to time.

This really helps since I will be there, I have some ideas of how to proceed.

The night before, no cramming. We'll go out for dinner, relax, but try not to be uptight about it.

She already has shown me, how she can make herself look very professional and I'm sure her attire will be apropriate.

I will make very sure that she understands that this is only a formality and we will be booking our flight home the very next day.

I will also take every moment we have before to re-kindle the feelings we shared when we were last together starting with the brand new ring she will finally have on her finger.

And most of all, I'll continue to make her understand that all I am there for, is her, and to be or do what ever she needs. This is not so much to help her though this "terrible" ordeal, but rather to show the gratitude of the fact that our lives are moving forward again and our waiting is almost over.