Does my wife have to have my name to get a SSN

See Trigg California isn't bad. Out here the SSA not only is familiar with the visa thing but the people in the office may be naturalized Chinese. I plan to drive 30 minutes to a city that is predominantly Chinese and apply there.

Excellent idea!! My SO and I are nowhere near the SSN/EAD/AOS/SOS! stage yet, but I try to plan ahead.

I'm in the LA area, so a little detour to one of the Chinese neighborhoods could well be worth the trouble.

Trevor I'm in the L.A. area. I would think you would find a good SSA office tapply at anywhere near Chinatown or the San Jose area which has many Asians.

The meetup is in August at San Luis Obispo. Check out the forum Contact List under the Californians Unite thread.

Dan,

Where in California are you?  Can anyone suggest an SSA office in the Bay Area (I live in Walnut Creek) I can take my Wei to apply for her SSN when she gets here in July, where she shouldn't receive much hassle?

Thanks,

Trevor

Trevor --

I used to live in Danville, CA before moving down here to So. Cal. I remember Walnut Creek well -- especially the mall by the Bart Station.

What a small world !

I think it's definitely worth a trip into San Francisco for me and Wendy when she gets here.

I just moved to Walnut Creek from Fremont, as I just got a job in Napa...but I wanted to be close to BART so Wendy can get around, and I can still get to work at a decent time. But, I must admit, it's not the most diverse city in the Bay Area by a longshot. If I can avoid any hurdles in helping her adjust to living in the US, then I'll do whatever it takes.

Thanks again,

Trevor

• 2 weeks later...

Great news! We tried another SSN office and my wife got the ssn card already. We did play it a little safer this time though. When my wife went up to talk to them I stayed in my seat. This way they didn't see me and wouldn't ask any quwstions about marrage. So, I guess some of you were right, if you don't get the answer you want try another SSN person/office.

Thanks for all your help (again).

Brian and Ling

Glad it all finally worked out for you guys. Every step of this process can be a headache, especially when mined with inept workers. SSN has been a headache for many. For us, however, it was one of the few procedures that went smoothly.