what if we can't pick up the visa??

I know no one is very sure about this new visa pick-up process but you are welcome to take a guess, or if anyone is in GZ at the post office and can ask about this, I'd really appreciate it.

My husband will have his interview on Thu 6/16 and our wedding ceremony in his hometown is booked for Sun 6/19. This gives him enough time to go to the interview and still get back for the wedding but not enough time to stay there and wait until the visa is ready to be picked up. He is prepared to fly to GZ a second time after the wedding to get it but here are some questions to ponder:

1. Does it absolutely have to be him that picks it up or can he have a friend get it for him?

2. Is it possible to choose the mail option and have it sent to a friend's house in Guangdong instead of our own?

3. If you don't pick it up on the specified day, will the post office hold it for a day or two until you can get there?

I know no one is very sure about this new visa pick-up process but you are welcome to take a guess, or if anyone is in GZ at the post office and can ask about this, I'd really appreciate it.

My husband will have his interview on Thu 6/16 and our wedding ceremony in his hometown is booked for Sun 6/19. This gives him enough time to go to the interview and still get back for the wedding but not enough time to stay there and wait until the visa is ready to be picked up. He is prepared to fly to GZ a second time after the wedding to get it but here are some questions to ponder:

1.  Does it absolutely have to be him that picks it up or can he have a friend get it for him?

2.  Is it possible to choose the mail option and have it sent to a friend's house in Guangdong instead of our own?

3.  If you don't pick it up on the specified day, will the post office hold it for a day or two until you can get there?

Lou! of course he is the only one that can pick it up! Silly :P I am sure he can pick it up on Friday if not Thursday. Just have him explain the circumstances to the VO. Otherwise, you guys can fly down and get it on Monday...good excuse to hop over to Hainan for a little mini honeymoon since you will be in the vicinity! :) Don't worry. It will be alright XOX

I will ask my fiancee to ask next week... granting she gets the visa. :rolleyes:

If the beneficiary resides outside of Guangdong Province the visa package will NOT, repeat, NOT be mailed to the beneficiary. I would suggest if your SO does live outside of Guangdong, he ask if he can give a Guangdong address for mailing purposes only to the VO at his interview. I am not sure that that will work.

If he lives in Guangdong he can have the visa package mailed or picked up, by himself or another. To use another person he will need have some authorization paperwork for the pickup.

This is the current situation.

I know they can't mail it outside Guangdong, that's why I'm wondering if we can give a friend's address in Guangdong, or appoint a friend to pick it up. Do you think there is any possibility that they could let him pick it up the next day? GZ is usually so uncooperative, I doubt they would be willing to help.

MarkD, if your fiance can find anything out about people who can't be there on the specified pick up date, I'd be really grateful!

GZ is usually so uncooperative, I doubt they would be willing to help.

I would not project one part of the process to another part... Just because they do not answer emails in the timely manner we want, does not mean they are unwilling to help in the visa pickup.

Hopefully we'll see how accomodating they are , or are not !

Yes you are right, it probably won't hurt to ask if they can have it ready the next day.

What about the third question - if you can't pick it up earlier or on time, it must be okay to pick it up a day or two later right? Can you imagine anything bad happening in that case? Seems like people are getting their visa on the second day after the interview, but we would have to wait until a couple days after that.

Maybe I'm being neurotic, but I want to anticipate every possible scenario!

Hi all,

My Wife was told to go to Post office after her interview to fill out a form. That is when you tell the Post office if you will pick up or where you want it mailed. They will hold it for 15 days.

You can also call the PO later if you plans change.

Mark and June

Hi all,

My Wife was told to go to Post office after her interview to fill out a form. That is when you tell the Post office if you will  pick up or where you want it mailed. They will hold it for 15 days.

You can also call the PO later if you plans change.

Mark and June

Now, that's good information. Thanks for the post.

My fiancee just got her K1 visa on May 10 and picked up her visa package on May 12 from the Xiti Post office, i.e. it takes an extra day than before to get the visa.

Q1. The applicant has to pick up the visa package him/herself.

Q2. Yes, the package can be mailed to an address in Guangdong ONLY. The address does not have to be the address used in the visa application. You tell the post office whether you want to do the pick up or have the package mail to a Guangdong address. You are not dealing with the Consulate anymore at this point.

MarkD, if your fiance can find anything out about people who can't be there on the specified pick up date, I'd be really grateful!

My fiancee went to the post office today and asked about picking up the visa. She was told that the post office will hold the visa for 15 days. The person receiving the visa must pick it up. She was also told that you can have the visa sent to a friend if the friend lives in GZ.

The post office will call at some point after the visa arrives there. Not sure how soon the call comes after the post office gets the visa though.