Having children in china

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dammit, Paul! you beat me to the punch on that one. :lol:

But let's not detract from the question at hand. Is there a child on the way? Surely someone can help here.

I never considered having a child abroad. Personally, I'd be kicking and screaming to ensure the child was born a US citizen. Seems there are more nightmares in bringing someone over to the US.

My reasoning is that if something were to hapen to me or our relationship, I'd want our child to have every opportunity possible, while trusting my wife in the decision making process. Sometimes, circumstances dictate otherwise, and if that's the case, I hope someone can help you answer your questions.

Trevor

I had looked into this when I was in China. For a child of a US Citizen born abroad you need to take the Chinese birth cirtificate issued at the hospital to the consulate, then they will issue a Consular report of birth abroad. Once you have this you can can get a US passort for your child. It doesn't seem to involved, but we didn't go through the process. I went through my first 4 months of pre-natal care in China, and from an American womens perspective it was a very frightening experience.

-Lynne

I had looked into this when I was in China.  For a child of a US Citizen born abroad you need to take the Chinese birth cirtificate issued at the hospital to the consulate, then they will issue a Consular report of birth abroad. Once you have this you can can get a US passort for your child.  It doesn't seem to involved, but we didn't go through the process.  I went through my first 4 months of pre-natal care in China, and from an American womens perspective it was a very frightening experience.

-Lynne

It would be interesting to hear more.. Not sure what in the first four months can cause so much fright.. there's a billion people in that country born there. Is this just that it's an experience we are totally unaccustomed to ?

david it the pain medication in america that women like, you want her to do it in china let her grab your balls and squeeze really hard each time she has to push.

robert

maybe.. some deliver with no meds and no screaming. I guess like its just a job...

Was it here, I heard of the story of some culture that ties a string around the man's privates and whenever a contraction occurs, the string gets hanked...

I gather they don't help to much on delivery, yea natural child birth at it's extreme.

This is meant to help on a different level.. not just with one moment or experience.. I would think that I would not forget that easily.. One would clearly be experiencing the pain of child birth.. and Maybe a remedy for keeping control of the population as well..

Guest fhtb
I had looked into this when I was in China.  For a child of a US Citizen born abroad you need to take the Chinese birth cirtificate issued at the hospital to the consulate, then they will issue a Consular report of birth abroad. Once you have this you can can get a US passort for your child.  It doesn't seem to involved, but we didn't go through the process.  I went through my first 4 months of pre-natal care in China, and from an American womens perspective it was a very frightening experience.

-Lynne

Just walking through a dirty Chinese hospital can be a frightening experience.

In America I'm so used to watching brand-new needles being unwrapped from their wrappers before they are stuck in me. Once my fiance had to go to the hospital in China. Imagine my surprise when the doctor took an unwrapped needle out of "the needle tray" (analogous to your "silverware tray" at home), swabbed it with some disinfectant, then stuck it into my fiance and started digging around. I guess the concept of "disposable needles" is a luxury for wealthy countries.

Hmmm... I wonder if this is a coincidence?

China is estimated to account for one third of chronic HBV and one fourth of chronic HCV infections worldwide with 20m sufferers of viral liver disease in total. 250-280 thousand HBV related deaths occur annually, claiming more lives than HIV/AIDS.

I could tell many horror stories of experiences in hospitals in China, but it is a totally different standard for pre-natal care there. They just don't have the all same standard check-ups and scans that are scheduled in the US. When you do try to see a doctor when you are having a problem you typically will arrive in the morning and have to wait with 20 - 30 other women. Eventually it will be your turn to see a doctor and this doctor determines what tests you need and what other doctors you'll see. By this time it is almost noon and the hospital shuts down for two hours. You have to be back at the hospital early to get in line to see the next doctors, and these doctors sometimes send you to another doctor. By the time your finished and received the medication (which you have no idea what it is and nobody at the hospital can translate) it is at least 3:00 pm in the afternoon. And imagine that all this time you have been in pain and in danger of loosing your baby.

Something important that I learned in from my doctor that might be a consideration of many Americans, In China 0 - blood virtually doesn't exist. Pregnant women are required to get medication during pregnancy if they are 0 - and their baby is likely to have a possitive type of blood. Most doctors in China haven't heard of this and I doubt it would be available. Now I'd be worried about being in a bad accident there and needing a blood transfusion. It seems like I'd be out of luck.

I could tell many horror stories of experiences in hospitals in China, but it is a totally different standard for pre-natal care there.  They just don't have the all same standard check-ups and scans that are scheduled in the US.  When you do try to see a doctor when you are having a problem you typically will arrive in the morning and have to wait with 20 - 30 other women.  Eventually it will be your turn to see a doctor and this doctor determines what tests you need and what other doctors you'll see.  By this time it is almost noon and the hospital shuts down for two hours. You have to be back at the hospital early to get in line to see the next doctors, and these doctors sometimes send you to another doctor.  By the time your finished and received the medication (which you have no idea what it is and nobody at the hospital can translate) it is at least 3:00 pm in the afternoon.  And imagine that all this time you have been in pain and in danger of loosing your baby.

Something important that I learned in from my doctor that might be a consideration of many Americans, In China 0 - blood virtually doesn't exist.  Pregnant women are required to get medication during pregnancy if they are 0 - and their baby is likely to have a possitive type of blood.  Most doctors in China haven't heard of this and I doubt it would be available.  Now I'd be worried about being in a bad accident there and needing a blood transfusion.  It seems like I'd be out of luck.

But if you grew up there and lived your entire existence there and knew nothing other than that care.. would it still be 'freightening' and a 'horror' ?

This is rhetorical and not necessary to answer. But I think that anything that is not our way of doing it is difficult for us to accept. And the consequences seem more dramatic. But to them, this is the way of life they know. Right or wrong.