In China I saw two common styles:

1) A pincher method, where the sticks are kept basically parallel and close on the food item. Usually the space between the back of the sticks (closest to the hand) is very small or widens if the food item is large. The US very also seems to have this as a much bigger gap (and using index like Frank said).

2) A scissor method, where one stick is scissoring behind the other stick to open and then close on the food.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK,

We are off topic a litttle....  (not too much)  --- so let me close by saying that for daughter #1, at age two, I made her small chop sticks with slits at the ends, so she could easily pick up food .... worked great!  Very little of the "frustration factor"

I asked my mother if she knew how to use them. When she said no, I warned her that one day she might be taught by her grandchild. :)

OK,

We are off topic a litttle....  (not too much)  --- so let me close by saying that for daughter #1, at age two, I made her small chop sticks with slits at the ends, so she could easily pick up food .... worked great!  Very little of the "frustration factor"

I asked my mother if she knew how to use them. When she said no, I warned her that one day she might be taught by her grandchild. :)

yes, voluntarily or against her will...

I forgot above a third mention, the 'children's method', a samauri approach which only requires a single sword...

Interesting discussion and staying on topic - amazing :P

I enjoy eating with chopsticks and could do it quite well before going to Chinatown (7 years of visiting Chinatown in Boston every Friday after the bars closed helped me)

Jenny did not think I could use them an purchased a set of silverware before I came. But I did not use them. made her made that she "wasted" money. :)

As for bones in food - I would starve to death if I had to eat that way. I lost about 5 lbs every time i went to China. Too much effort to eat. My metabolism burns up calories too fast.

Interesting discussion and staying on topic - amazing :huh:

I enjoy eating with chopsticks and could do it quite well before going to Chinatown (7 years of visiting Chinatown in Boston every Friday after the bars closed helped me)

Jenny did not think I could use them an purchased a set of silverware before I came. But I did not use them. made her made that she "wasted" money. ;)

As for bones in food - I would starve to death if I had to eat that way. I lost about 5 lbs every time i went to China. Too much effort to eat. My metabolism burns up calories too fast.

When I was there, we would use the utensils apropriat to the resuraunt we ate at. I was more nervous in western places because Jennifer kept wathing me closely to learn which item to use for what. :lol:

Jenny did not think I could use them an purchased a set of silverware before I came. But I did not use them. made her made that she "wasted" money. :rolleyes:  

When I was there, we would use the utensils apropriat to the resuraunt we ate at. I was more nervous in western places because Jennifer kept wathing me closely to learn which item to use for what. :rolleyes:

The sharp thing is for cutting, the thing with the points is for stabbing and the smooth one is for soup. Got it??

Jenny did not think I could use them an purchased a set of silverware before I came. But I did not use them. made her made that she "wasted" money. :rolleyes:  

When I was there, we would use the utensils apropriat to the resuraunt we ate at. I was more nervous in western places because Jennifer kept wathing me closely to learn which item to use for what. :rolleyes:

The sharp thing is for cutting, the thing with the points is for stabbing and the smooth one is for soup. Got it??

All these instructions.. no wonder two sticks from a tree was used in the beginning...

:blink: I thought the smooth one was for spreading the butter and the little bowl with a handle on it for the soup. :blink:

My Grandfather ruined my parents training when I was a child. He asked which one came first the fork or the spoon?

Neither the hand so use it.

Once I got that he told me how to eat applesauce. Grab what is in the bowl then make a fist. Squeeze and lick off everything that comes through.

My Mom loved that one. :P

Yup he taught me table manners real good.

Yup he taught me table manners real good.

that's the interesting thing about eating in China.. you almost have to drop the concept of western manners.. suck and slop up that soup; chew the fish up and spit it out on the table.. even the floor is a receptacle... But god forbid you pick up the chicken with your hands.. most places I went gave a plastic glove for that ! The chopstick remained the steadfast utensil..

Either of you know whetther or not there is still a little stand making crab cakes at the Lafayette Market in "Balmer, Marilan" ?

In Baltimore there is a Cross Street Market and a Lexington Market.. Both have vendors who make crab cakes.

Although, no chopsticks are necessary :)

:lol: Posts To This Thread....Thus Far.......

DavidZixuan     35

Dan R               24

Feathers268    10

oregonknl          8

ttlee99               4

ed and ying        2

Trigg                   2

bobsmith            1

frank1538           1

C4Racer              1

Can anyone say.....Fang pi la ?

:lol: Papa Bear