• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back on topic

Chopsticks - I learned on the wicked Korean thin, metal sticks. If you can do those, you have got it made. Being in business, I think the ability to use chopsticks have served me well. There is nothing like having all eyes at the table watching to see if the laowai can pickup the oily peanut, etc.

Back on topic

Chopsticks - I learned on the wicked Korean thin, metal sticks.  If you can do those, you have got it made. Being  in business, I think the ability to use chopsticks have served me well. There is nothing like having all eyes at  the table watching to see if the laowai can pickup the oily peanut, etc.

yep.. I had to pass that test too ! :rolleyes:

OK,

We are off topic a litttle....  (not too much)  --- so let me close by saying that for daughter #1, at age two, I made her small chop sticks with slits at the ends, so she could easily pick up food .... worked great!  Very little of the "frustration factor"

They choke way up on the sticks... I actually learned a few things from children using chopsticks... they take a no-nonsense approach..

... they take a no-nonsense approach...

So true David, when I met my first daughter in Nanjing, she would avoid all frustration by simply stabbing her food with one chop stick .... :rolleyes:

yep.. the samauri method of chopsticks... I have reverted to that in one or two desperate times...

I had limited experience with chop-sticks; the occasionaly oriental food, sushi bar etc... My Precious SO made certain that at each meal I was given a fork. I always thanked her but was willing to starve before using a fork in China :greenblob: The family was happy to see my efforts (and progress!) and I was amused to see them suppress their laughter. :greenblob:

I had limited experience with chop-sticks; the occasionaly oriental food, sushi bar etc...  My Precious SO made certain that at each meal I was given a fork.  I always thanked her but was willing to starve before using a fork in China  :greenblob: The family was happy to see my efforts (and progress!) and I was amused to see them suppress their laughter. :greenblob:

Bob,

Do you know the chinese character for her name, mei ?

I've used them for years.   I often cook some chinese lettuce and rice, etc...

I taught myself three different 'holds' of the sticks to get me through any situation... actually, I watched a few Asians eating a few years ago and noticed the difference ways, so taught myself them.

Needless to say, I got many comments about my dexterity of the sticks in China... although a few times, Zixuan had to rescue me...  just made me practice more !

I always wondered if there is a "proper" way - proper as in etiquette - to hold chopsticks. I've noticed that most Americans use the index finger as the primary mover of the top stick while most Chinese use the middle finger. It's like holding and using a fork. It can be done in a variety of ways, but etiquette favors one method.

On my first trip to China I was hell bent on using chopsticks and almost starved to death. Now I have been using them for over a year at home and rarely use a knife and fork. Only if we go out to eat. 'round the Trigg houshold ya either eat with overgrown toothpicks or get thin-I ain't about to get thin!!

I've used them for years.   I often cook some chinese lettuce and rice, etc...

I taught myself three different 'holds' of the sticks to get me through any situation... actually, I watched a few Asians eating a few years ago and noticed the difference ways, so taught myself them.

Needless to say, I got many comments about my dexterity of the sticks in China... although a few times, Zixuan had to rescue me...  just made me practice more !

I always wondered if there is a "proper" way - proper as in etiquette - to hold chopsticks. I've noticed that most Americans use the index finger as the primary mover of the top stick while most Chinese use the middle finger. It's like holding and using a fork. It can be done in a variety of ways, but etiquette favors one method.

Each country in Asia holds the chopsticks differently. You are speaking of the Japanese and Chinese difference. The Japanese chopsticks are much shorter. The cheap pull apart chopsticks are Japanese style. Sometimes you can find them made in bamboo and the longer Chinese style. The Japanese were able to come up with this because of the shorter one that didn't break (often) when seperated. I also noticed that both countries are now using a mixed style for lower production costs and ease of use. The Japanese Chopstick has a pointed end and the Chinese one a blunt end. This is always true in preWWII sets but mixed today. Anotther thing which changed after going to Japan was the fan. It was always rigid in China. Then in Japan the folding model was developed and quickly adapted in China during the early period of introduction of Buddhism from China. I was surprised and did not expect the great interest Chinese have in things that leave China to be altered abroad and return to China as something new, including people. This was responsible for their interest in learning my style of massage.