I just looked at the 'fine print' on the bottom of a GUZ reply :

To respond to this email, use only the web form at

www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzhou/iv/email.html. E-mails sent via

"reply" will not be received. You can access limited case specific

information - confirm Visa Petition arrival at post and verify

interview

date - at the National Visa Information Call Center (a for fee

service).

See www.usavisainformation.com.cn/eng/index.aspx. Call Center # (China)

400-872-333 (International) 8621-3881-4611

----

Notice it says " ( a for fee service) "...

Is this a typo and they meant 'free' or they really mean 'fee' ??

Guest blsqueaky
I just looked at the 'fine print' on the bottom of a GUZ reply :

To respond to this email, use only the web form at

www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzhou/iv/email.html.  E-mails sent via

"reply" will not be received. You can access limited case specific

information - confirm Visa Petition arrival at post and verify

interview

date - at the National Visa Information Call Center (a for fee

service).

See www.usavisainformation.com.cn/eng/index.aspx. Call Center # (China)

400-872-333  (International) 8621-3881-4611

----

Notice it says " ( a for fee service) "...

Is this a typo and they meant 'free'  or they really mean 'fee' ??

Yes, it is a fee, and it was mine. From what I understand, yes you can email directly, or use long distance to call DOS or GUZ, you will stay pay. I think that the only difference when you email the fee svc in GUZ, you might actually get up to the minute info, and from looking at the site, yo buy a block of time. I am goinog to have to look into it further, as our case progresses, because with the IR-1, I need to know as soon as possible the interview date, not wait for the mail, then scurry around getting my visa, plane tickets, etc, etc

Guest Gene
why would anyone pay a fee to NVC when one can call DOS ? ? Will a fee somehow get you the correct, up to the minute info?

People who live in China where there are no such things as onesuite and 2.2 cent per minute phone rates. It is probable cheaper to pay the fee than to pay for the long distance call to the U.S.

The service is for all Visa types, probably used more by people vieing for visitor, business and student visa's.

Guest blsqueaky
why would anyone pay a fee to NVC when one can call DOS ?    Will a fee somehow get you the correct, up to the minute info?

People who live in China where there are no such things as onesuite and 2.2 cent per minute phone rates. It is probable cheaper to pay the fee than to pay for the long distance call to the U.S.

The service is for all Visa types, probaly used more by people vieing for visitor, business and student visa's.

Here is a thought for the fee, you try and call DOS, maybe you get lucky and get right through, no hold, and then when you do, they can tell you nothing, or you sit on hold 15-30 mins, get a person, can not tell you a thing, and yes, use cell phone, burn up the mins, use your one suite, burn up the mins, and remember, I think 5 cents a minute for domestic, so pending on what the fee is, it might be good. I know that I will check into later. I know that for now, I can email NVC, and get an answer back in about 2 days, but once our case hits GUZ, then I want up to the minute.

If tere is truly something more that can be gained by calling the number, I would like to hear. I thought that someone had stated that information was no different from e-mailing GZ. My experiences have been that I get a response usually by 10 pm my time if I use the form. I just never get what I want to hear. <_< DOS seems best first thing in the morning. I was on hold for maybe 2 minutes but again got the same typical response although they did mention the noting of e-mails to GZ. I've asked about namecheck or other specifics without any good info. This morning I know I did sound kind of hurt by the typical response which did get a little more from the operator. Maybe if I just break down and start crying, they will give me what I ask for. :rolleyes:

Guest blsqueaky
If tere is truly something more that can be gained by calling the number, I would like to hear. I thought that someone had stated that information was no different from e-mailing GZ. My experiences have been that I get a response usually by 10 pm my time if I use the form. I just never get what I want to hear. <_<  DOS seems best first thing in the morning. I was on hold for maybe 2 minutes but again got the same typical response although they did mention the noting of e-mails to GZ. I've asked about namecheck or other specifics without any good info. This morning I know I did sound kind of hurt by the typical response which did get a little more from the operator. Maybe if I just break down and start crying, they will give me what I ask for. :rolleyes:

Okay, since I am already the guinea pig here regaring doing a IR-1 after thye K-3, I will break down and find out more on the Visa Pay system. My though is that they just mite have some more up-to-the date info, before it gets in the puter at DOS, because if I remember right the email that they sent me stated "confirm visa petition and arrival at post and interview". Now if they are going to charge me $10-15 to do this, then I will gladly pay. I will research some more and let everyone know.

Guest blsqueaky

Okay, the cost is $6.50 for 12 minutes, but have not a clue as to what you get. I am thinking that the time that their puter is tied up looking for your answer, just a thought, but I know that I will be trying it out. Remember, right now my case is different