The FBI, CIA, or other government agencies don't use commerical off the shelf computers. They use military computer which cost $10,000 each. These computer are so secured that even the people who use them can't access the data. They need manypasswords and level of clearances to get in. You have heard about the $600 toilet seat the government contractor was charging. Just my guessing. :o

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The FBI, CIA, or other government agencies don't use commerical off the shelf computers.  They use military computer which cost $10,000 each.  These computer are so secured that even the people who use them can't access the data.  They need many~~~~~~~~~ and level of clearances to get in. You have heard about the $600 toilet seat the government contractor was charging.  Just my guessing. :rolleyes:

wrong !! $450 seat !!! A bargain !!

The FBI, CIA, or other government agencies don't use commerical off the shelf computers.  They use military computer which cost $10,000 each.  These computer are so secured that even the people who use them can't access the data.  They need many~~~~~~~~~ and level of clearances to get in.   You have heard about the $600 toilet seat the government contractor was charging.  Just my guessing.   :(

No wonder they don't have many toilet seats in China. Too expensive. :D :rolleyes:

You guys remind me of the dumb criminals that underestimate the FBI. Their equipment is sophisticated enough to be reading this right now and any information on your computer. :P  :D

Yes and if your name is Lee (like Wen Ho), then you are asking for trouble. Wait a minute, my name is Lee. I should be careful. :rolleyes: :D :(

The FBI, CIA, or other government agencies don't use commerical off the shelf computers.  They use military computer which cost $10,000 each.  These computer are so secured that even the people who use them can't access the data.  They need many~~~~~~~~~ and level of clearances to get in.   You have heard about the $600 toilet seat the government contractor was charging.  Just my guessing.   :(

No wonder they don't have many toilet seats in China. Too expensive. :D :rolleyes:

No, They make them in Guangdong province at 80 cents a pop.. Selling them to the PLA at $ 3..........

Someone knows anybody at the Pentagon-toiletseat office procurement office?? We have a deal for them ! Cut the Fed budget deficit in half by the time Santa Owen visits the chimneys again...

A congressman/ senator  office called me today...

After the chitchat about the case and all ( they get the same B.S " we're working on it "  we do more or less ) , mentioned that the FBI is/was the real prob.

Inadequate/ Prehistoric computer system ( at least for our purpose ) .. Mentioned that mid-year, they had up to 80% failure in info transmissions from other agencies ( read: .. oops.. sorry guys, send that again, will ya? ). Working on it though .. but budget cut.. blahblahblah...

Take that info in stride. I'm only reporting kids.

Don't ask me for the source. I won't say, out of courtesy. But that is what I was told. After said source ( As I understand it )  spoke to their "contacts" at state..

Don't use this info, as it cannot be verified by another source, but I sure can believe it

Any one got a few spare top of the line laptops we can send in?  :D

What they said is totally BS - It takes only week's time for ppl from India to get an IV...what computer are they using for that...Pentium 6?

There are two reasons as far as I could gather going through the list, purely personal guessing:

1. Transition of power to Tom Ridge, header of deparment of homeland security (maybe we should write to him)

2. Post-cold war effects. During the cold war, these agencies or divisions aiming at communist countries have sufficient funding for "activities"; but at this time when anti-terrorism is the top priority and communist is quickly becoming yesterday, they suddenly found they are in deep s**t and would like some "job security"...

vaguely remember once there was a piece of news of FBI missing some classified laptops...I am guessing they are using abacus nowadays to figure out their budget :rolleyes: :(

The FBI computers are prehistoric?  You mean like drawing in the dirt using a stick?  Or have they evolved all the way up to the hammer and chisel?

Oh, they really do have computers but they are just real old.  You mean like the awesome IBM 360's that I saw in the early 1970s with the reels of tape spinning briskly around, right?  No, wait, they do have PC's, huh?  Oh, now I get it, they must be using Commodore 64's. :o

Hey! I took my first programming class at Kansas State University. They were proud of having the latest greatest thing. An IBM 360 with punch card entry. I owned a C-64. I owned a Sinclair (first class, I upgraded to the 16K of memory). My first job where I used and programed a computer that was a machine controller was a DEC with 8K of memory and paper tape program reader. I can remember being told that I would never use up all the space on that huge 10 megabyte disk drive that I had just bought.

The FBI computers are prehistoric?  You mean like drawing in the dirt using a stick?  Or have they evolved all the way up to the hammer and chisel?

Oh, they really do have computers but they are just real old.  You mean like the awesome IBM 360's that I saw in the early 1970s with the reels of tape spinning briskly around, right?  No, wait, they do have PC's, huh?  Oh, now I get it, they must be using Commodore 64's.   :(

Hey! I took my first programming class at Kansas State University. They were proud of having the latest greatest thing. An IBM 360 with punch card entry. I owned a C-64. I owned a Sinclair (first class, I upgraded to the 16K of memory). My first job where I used and programed a computer that was a machine controller was a DEC with 8K of memory and paper tape program reader. I can remember being told that I would never use up all the space on that huge 10 megabyte disk drive that I had just bought.

Damn... You're old .. LOL

You were not part of the ENIAC program back in '45 were ya ?? You know,the vacuum tubes thinggies,, :o

From the FBI web site, their top ten priorities:

1. Protect the United States from terrorist attack

2. Protect the United States against foreign intelligence operations and espionage

3. Protect the United States against cyber-based attacks and high-technology crimes

4. Combat public corruption at all levels

5. Protect civil rights

6. Combat transnational and national criminal organizations and enterprises

7. Combat major white-collar crime

8. Combat significant violent crime

9. Support federal, state, local and international partners

10. Upgrade technology to successfully perform the FBI's mission

2. Protect the United States against foreign intelligence operations and espionage

3. Protect the United States against cyber-based attacks and high-technology crimes

5. Protect civil rights

Nothing about doing background check on Chinese fiance(e). Maybe that is why we are still waiting. :(

5. Protect civil rights

Nothing about doing background check on Chinese fiance(e). Maybe that is why we are still waiting. :rolleyes:

Items 2, 6 and 10 -

definitely not item 5