Bringing my stepdaughter to US from China

My wife has been here in Jupiter, Florida for almost 2 months now. Things are going very well. We are now planning on bringing her daughter to live with us some time in the next 3 or 4 months. How do we initiate the process. Her name was included on the original K-1 visa that was issued on January 10th, 2005? It is my understanding that we could bring her here sometime within 12 months after the visa was issued. Does anyone know what the next step is now?

Thanks,

Ken

Hello Ken;

My wife has been here just a couple of months also. We did a K3 and when she had her interview the VO indicated that we could bring her over under the same paperwork as my wife's, but that it had to be done within a year of my wife's visa being issued. During her visa interview the VO said for her just to e-mail the consulate at Guangzhou and they would send out a P3 package for her interview. Then, when my wife went to the consulate the following day to pickup her visa, they actually handed her a P3 package for her daughter and instructed her to send it in about 3-4 months prior to when we wanted to bring her here. It was that easy.

My wife's daughter mailed her P3 package to Guangzhou on April 1, 2005. We were going to wait a little longer, but unfortunately we made a discovery that since my wife's daughter was 18 years old when we married, she wouldn't be eligible to adjust her status and will have to return to China before her 21st birthday (she turned 20 on 4/9/05).

So.....we're bringing her here, even if it will only be for 6-8 months, just to get a taste of American culture. Then we will apply for her to come after my wife gets her green card. Of course, that process will take considerably longer.......like 5 years or so.

My advice to you is to e-mail the consulate in Guangzhou with your wife's case number and ask for a P3 to bring your wife's daughter here on the K1/K2. As long as your step-daughter hadn't turned 18 before your marriage to her mother, there should be no problem.

Good luck.

PapaBear :blink: