Permanent Residence in China

TheMace

anyone here moved to China

Just keep renewing for as many years as you need. There is urban legend and documentation that you could actually get permanent - ala - LPR status in China but few have actually ever accomplished it. If you want the full story you can log onto the Amoy website and Dr. Dan Brown is one who actually accomplished it. I looked at the requirements in a anecdotal manner - and it like many things is all spelled out - but in practice is hard to accomplish. You would be eligible to try this after 5 years of residence in the PRC. You can google and get all the information you need on the subject.

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

Just keep renewing for as many years as you need. There is urban legend and documentation that you could actually get permanent - ala - LPR status in China but few have actually ever accomplished it. If you want the full story you can log onto the Amoy website and Dr. Dan Brown is one who actually accomplished it. I looked at the requirements in a anecdotal manner - and it like many things is all spelled out - but in practice is hard to accomplish. You would be eligible to try this after 5 years of residence in the PRC. You can google and get all the information you need on the subject.

Thanks,

I read somewhere a few years ago that China was toying with the idea of issuing 10 year cards simular to our green card, but have forgotten where I saw it. I am not familiar with the Amoy website.

Gary

The "infamous" D visa is about as hard to get as size 13 shoes in China. If you aren't Bill Gates and are not willing to move your entire company here, you are not in the running for this type of visa.

An "extended stay L visa" is all you need. You renew it every year. Is it fairly easy to do and you can renew it every year for as long as you want. No restrictions on that.

After you have been here for more than five years, you can ask for a "two year" extended L visa and you will probably get it. Then you renew every two years.

Thanks,

I read somewhere a few years ago that China was toying with the idea of issuing 10 year cards simular to our green card, but have forgotten where I saw it. I am not familiar with the Amoy website.

Gary

http://www.amoymagic.com/visa.htm At the top of the link is another link to a word file that has both English and CHinese reference all the law/rules of getting the long term visa...but like GUZ don't believe that it is easy to get. (Also...Prof Bill Brown vice Dan Brown is the writer..duh) but as most will tell you it's almost impossible - sort of like the infamous travel visa for Chinese to visit the US (I.e. Young, Single Female PRC Citizens - there is a procedure but they laugh when you go to the interview)

I am on another forum for ex-pats and a person that tried to get the D visa was told the following by the Office of the Minister of Public Security.

1. The D visa is being phased out.

2.It currently must be approved personally in Beijing by the Minister of Public Security.

3.The background check required to get approval takes about a year.

4.It is not worth the time or the hassle to the government.

This horse is dead. Use the extended stay L visa and set your alarm to go renew it every year.

I am on another forum for ex-pats and a person that tried to get the D visa was told the following by the Office of the Minister of Public Security.

1. The D visa is being phased out.

2.It currently must be approved personally in Beijing by the Minister of Public Security.

3.The background check required to get approval takes about a year.

4.It is not worth the time or the hassle to the government.

This horse is dead. Use the extended stay L visa and set your alarm to go renew it every year.

Correction ...

1. The "D" visa has been dead for the last 15 years, if not longer. As of approximately 5 years ago, it has been changed into an entrance vehicle for those whose permanent residence applications were approved while they were out of China and need it to re-enter China and pick up their actual permanent residence ID card.

Even before 2004, it was never -- yes, never -- issued to other than overseas Chinese returning to the homeland -- and even then only in exceptional cases.

2. It is approved by a committee in the Public Security Ministry who then has the Minister sign off on it.

3. Background check now takes about 6 months. In the beginning it was taking about 10 months.

4. Depending on individual preferences, obtaining permanent residency is definitely worth it if only for the $$ and hassle you save from renewing visas / work permits every year.

The "infamous" D visa is about as hard to get as size 13 shoes in China. If you aren't Bill Gates and are not willing to move your entire company here, you are not in the running for this type of visa.

An "extended stay L visa" is all you need. You renew it every year. Is it fairly easy to do and you can renew it every year for as long as you want. No restrictions on that.

After you have been here for more than five years, you can ask for a "two year" extended L visa and you will probably get it. Then you renew every two years.

There is no "D" visa.

As long as you meet the requirements and are anal retentive in your paperwork, you should be able to get approved for permanent residence.

The family "L" visa is not stable and does not allow you to work. At any moment the PSB can refuse to renew or even issue new family "L" visas. In fact, people are being turned away now until after the National Day period has passed.

I believe GZBILL has a chinese green card.

Yup. Been there, done that & got the kewpie doll.

To GZBill: Under which qualification did you apply under and when? It seems they are more and more difficult to obtain these days.

I applied as HMFIC of a major multinational company in 2004. It was extremely difficult then, too.

Since then, I have assisted a few friends who have filed under the same category as I and also as spouses of Chinese citizens. It was also a very difficult process ... still.

IMO, if you have your doo-doo together and build a well-documented case, you'll be successful. Where a lot of people have problems is not really understanding the requirements and not having sufficient documentation.