Renewing chinese passport

Yans mother is ill (cancer)so next month she will return to china.Her chinese passport has expired. Off to NY city she goes next week. What exactly should she bring? I understand she can get same day service. Correct?She can bring marriage certificate for name change to her married name. Anyone know a good sichuan hotpot in china town.She really longs for her hometown food.

JFK or La Guardia airport. ?Jfk seems cheaper but $$$$$ for taxi may be better to fly into La Guardia. She can arrive in ny around 7:30 am and catch a flight home 6-7PM same day.This should be enough time . My sister will be traveling with her. How much money should she travel with. You have taxi's ,food ect. I have not been in NY city in years.

Edited by lostinblue (see edit history)

TAXI - about 400 bucks to get around.

TRAIN and BUS - about 100 bucks

Food - 100 bucks.

My numbers are based on 'hurry mode'.

EDIT - sorry - i misunderstood. she's not leaving NYC to go to china immediately, so is not any concept of checked in luggage.

Take a bus to Port Authority transit center from the airport.

Use the subway to get around.

Eat some food.

Take bus from Port Authority transit center to the airport.

200 bucks tops, for 2 people. No Taxis required.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

Yans mother is ill (cancer)so next month she will return to china.Her chinese passport has expired. Off to NY city she goes next week. What exactly should she bring? I understand she can get same day service. Correct?She can bring marriage certificate for name change to her married name. Anyone know a good sichuan hotpot in china town.She really longs for her hometown food.

JFK or La Guardia airport. ?Jfk seems cheaper but $$$$$ for taxi may be better to fly into La Guardia. She can arrive in ny around 7:30 am and catch a flight home 6-7PM same day.This should be enough time . My sister will be traveling with her. How much money should she travel with. You have taxi's ,food ect. I have not been in NY city in years.

We did that in DC maybe three months ago. She didnt need anyting but her expired passport. http://www.nyconsulate.prchina.org/eng/

Did ya check here? Found a good hotpot in DC, sorry no help

125 canal street, 100% sichuan hot pot in manhattan. if they have extra time, they can go to flushing in queens new york. flushing is a melting pot of different chinese cultures, such as taiwan, sichuan, hunan, malaysia, vietnam, cantonese, and korea, just to name a few and i can't remember others too. if your SO needs help, you can PM me and i will be glad to give a helping hand. i live outside of chinatown, about 10 minutes walk. she can try our little Italy resturants.

Taxi rates:

Night surcharge of $.50 after 8:00 PM & before 6:00 AM.

Peak hour Weekday Surcharge of $1.00 Monday - Friday after 4:00 PM & before 8:00 PM.

$45 from Manhattan to JFK. La Guardia is by meter but don't forget you'll have to travel from the east side to 12th Avenue and 42nd on the west side. Crosstown traffic is the worst. The meters now keep turning (at the now higher rate) while you're stuck in traffic. Even if you don't have to wait for your luggage you'll hit Manhattan during rush hour and possibly truck deliveries. So flat fee or metered depends on the day and hour.

Subway doesn't go to 12th Avenue so if you take mass trans you will have to take the M42 bus on 42nd street.

The consulate opens at 9AM to Noon and then from 1PM till 2:30PM, so its best to handle this as early in the morning as possible. It's very common to see the line forming on the sidewalk before they open (Reminds you of DMV lines when they were on Worth Street, but usually not as bad).

Passport or travel docs for nationals are on the 2nd floor.

Its probably better to call the consulate some time this week to make sure whats required before hopping on that flight. Even confirming this I would probably bring everything anyway just to be safe and not make a wasteful long trip. Passport for sure, marriage license (especially if there's a name change or addition, and GC.

The restaurant George mentioned at 125 Canal is called the Grand Sichuan. It's between the cross streets of Bowery and Christie Street. It faces the Manhattan Bridge.

If they go to Chinatown there's no telling how much they'll spend with all the stores around the area. Just because you're on a tight schedule doesn't mean they won't have anytime to shop. You're talking about Chinese home merchandise and food.

I inquired about a one day pickup for the passport this is the reply

You can't pick up in one day. It usually takes 7 days. You may let somebody else pick up for you. When pick-up, pay cash or credit card.

We need her passport, green card, photoes, and application form.

ÍøÕ¾ÒÑÓд𰸵ÄÎÊÌ⣬ÒÔ¼°À´ÐÅ˵Ã÷²»Çå³þµÄÎÊÌ⣬ˡ²»»Ø¸´¡£Çëµã»÷ÒÔÏÂÁ´½Ó£¬»ñÈ¡×îаìÖ¤ÐëÖª£º

http://www.nyconsulate.prchina.org/chn/lszj/default.htm

Questions covered by website and questions unclear will not be replied. For more detailed information, please click:

http://www.nyconsulate.prchina.org/eng/lsq...ina/default.htm

How much will a passport cost, Maybe I am overlooking this. The website seems to be outdated by many years. On this forum it has been mentioned nothing by mail. on the website it still talks about a mail route.

I inquired about a one day pickup for the passport this is the reply

You can't pick up in one day. It usually takes 7 days. You may let somebody else pick up for you. When pick-up, pay cash or credit card.

We need her passport, green card, photoes, and application form.

ÍøÕ¾ÒÑÓд𰸵ÄÎÊÌ⣬ÒÔ¼°À´ÐÅ˵Ã÷²»Çå³þµÄÎÊÌ⣬ˡ²»»Ø¸´¡£Çëµã»÷ÒÔÏÂÁ´½Ó£¬»ñÈ¡×îаìÖ¤ÐëÖª£º

http://www.nyconsulate.prchina.org/chn/lszj/default.htm

Questions covered by website and questions unclear will not be replied. For more detailed information, please click:

http://www.nyconsulate.prchina.org/eng/lsq...ina/default.htm

How much will a passport cost, Maybe I am overlooking this. The website seems to be outdated by many years. On this forum it has been mentioned nothing by mail. on the website it still talks about a mail route.

My wife has to wait 45 days.

Also they made her make a copy of HER passport too.

Overall she said they weren't very friendly to her.

If her passport expired within the past 12 months the fees are:

Passport Renewal $55

Mail Service Fee $5

Name Change Notice $10

Normally they do not accept personal checks.

Certified Marriage Certificate is required for adding the name change notice. My wife has taken my family name and this gives her documentation that matches her Green Card.

Concerning the Mail Back Service:

Please prepare paid envelops with filled addresses (both sending from and to addresses are the same and as the one where you expect to receive). We suggest using FedEx, UPS, EXPRESS MAIL¡¢PRIORITY MAIL. Normally, Passport Exchanges takes one month, Passport Re-application needs more time. All other services need two to three weeks.

Have her speak with them about how quickly she can get her passport back and tell them why it is needed, they may expedite her passport so she can get back to China to see her mom.

If her passport expired within the past 12 months the fees are:

Passport Renewal $55

Mail Service Fee $5

Name Change Notice $10

Normally they do not accept personal checks.

Certified Marriage Certificate is required for adding the name change notice. My wife has taken my family name and this gives her documentation that matches her Green Card.

Concerning the Mail Back Service:

Please prepare paid envelops with filled addresses (both sending from and to addresses are the same and as the one where you expect to receive). We suggest using FedEx, UPS, EXPRESS MAIL¡¢PRIORITY MAIL. Normally, Passport Exchanges takes one month, Passport Re-application needs more time. All other services need two to three weeks.

Have her speak with them about how quickly she can get her passport back and tell them why it is needed, they may expedite her passport so she can get back to China to see her mom.

The new york web site is so bad . You can hardly find any answers.

I asked about the mail service in an e-mail.

Yes, we have no mail service. She can apply in person, and let somebody else pick up for her. Usually it will take 10 days.