Moving/Relocation Guide

Moving can be very stressful for all in a family unit. This fact can be compounded when you have a cross-cultural marriage. I was thinking of this today issue today and how it related to forum members. I remember many members of this forum moving, or their particular wife and/or fianc¨¦e wanting to know what life would be like where they were going to live. Therefore, I have posted this link for all members to use.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/

As a suggestion, some of the various threads will have large images (e.g. San Diego, LA, etc). Your better-half or yourself might want to have a high speed internet and/or up-to-date PC to download images, due to their size. Yin complained of this fact when she went to a local computer/coffee/gaming shop in Chengdu. Eventually, she went to the business center in the Minshan Hotel, and the download speeds were greatly reduced.

Recently I departed my lovely digs in Oklahoma City and moved my family to San Diego. My thoughts on this move¡­¡­Fantastic! However, there were many questions to be researched. Most especially my wife had numerous questions about where we were going. I should add that at this time in my life, I had sent Yin back to China for a 4 month-long (June through October) extended vacation.

I was researching on the Internet and found this particular site, that I feel will help many members when they are moving or answer their wives question about what an area is like, where they eventually will live. Here is the link for this site. It deals with all areas and major cities of the United States.

I should add that the site is accessible through China. I know that Yin used this particular link for San Diego. There was one drawback; Thank God I found employment in San Diego! After she looked at the photographs, she fell in love. If I had chosen LA over San Diego, I hate to think about what my home life would have been like.

For forum members who wonder why people move to San Diego, look at the photographs that were submitted to the San Diego Forum thread. You will know why they move here, high cost living or not. BTW these photographs are very real. Yin and I have been to many of them when we have the time.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-diego/4...-san-diego.html

I hope that this small contribution can help members.

Dave

Moving can be very stressful for all in a family unit. This fact can be compounded when you have a cross-cultural marriage. I was thinking of this today issue today and how it related to forum members. I remember many members of this forum moving, or their particular wife and/or fianc¨¦e wanting to know what life would be like where they were going to live. Therefore, I have posted this link for all members to use.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/

As a suggestion, some of the various threads will have large images (e.g. San Diego, LA, etc). Your better-half or yourself might want to have a high speed internet and/or up-to-date PC to download images, due to their size. Yin complained of this fact when she went to a local computer/coffee/gaming shop in Chengdu. Eventually, she went to the business center in the Minshan Hotel, and the download speeds were greatly reduced.

Recently I departed my lovely digs in Oklahoma City and moved my family to San Diego. My thoughts on this move¡­¡­Fantastic! However, there were many questions to be researched. Most especially my wife had numerous questions about where we were going. I should add that at this time in my life, I had sent Yin back to China for a 4 month-long (June through October) extended vacation.

I was researching on the Internet and found this particular site, that I feel will help many members when they are moving or answer their wives question about what an area is like, where they eventually will live. Here is the link for this site. It deals with all areas and major cities of the United States.

I should add that the site is accessible through China. I know that Yin used this particular link for San Diego. There was one drawback; Thank God I found employment in San Diego! After she looked at the photographs, she fell in love. If I had chosen LA over San Diego, I hate to think about what my home life would have been like.

For forum members who wonder why people move to San Diego, look at the photographs that were submitted to the San Diego Forum thread. You will know why they move here, high cost living or not. BTW these photographs are very real. Yin and I have been to many of them when we have the time.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-diego/4...-san-diego.html

I hope that this small contribution can help members.

Dave

I have a Aunt and Uncle who live in San Diego, and yes it is nice!!!!!

I could find work also if moved there, homeless within a few weeks, but................ :ph34r:

Did you try the photographs link SHZ?

Fantastic! San Diego It is high cost, but I wouldn't give it up for the world! If you change your mind, Cost of Living is silly, downtown in SD. I live in El Cajon and it was very acceptable to me.

Let me know when you arrive. First round is on me

Dave

Edited by Cerberus (see edit history)

Only bitch is that for some reason this site is a threat to China right now like any "Blogspot", "Wiki . . ." and 80% of Google news. :P

Sigh

I could use this info about now.

You have us, Steve. Let us know what you want to search. We'll search it, copy and forward it.

Best I can think of.

Only bitch is that for some reason this site is a threat to China right now like any "Blogspot", "Wiki . . ." and 80% of Google news. :P

Sigh

I could use this info about now.

You have us, Steve. Let us know what you want to search. We'll search it, copy and forward it.

Best I can think of.

Ditto, I gave the link to members to use. I know Yin used it when she was in China and she got the images from San Diego with no problems. I do have three questions for you Steve:

1) Where are you searching from? Yin used the computer in the Minshan Hotel in Chengdu and links worked. There may be a filtering proxy server, prior to the PC where you are searching from.

2) Do you have a home PC? There are ways around filters using other proxy servers. I can send several links if you need them. However, installing them in a public chatroom wouldn't be allowed.

3) What is your E-mail account at? Photos and conversations can be pasted and be resent. PRC does monitor Yahoo, AOL and Hotmail. Many times, incoming traffic must be saved onto other records and then resent. Thereby, avoiding traditional filters.

• 1 year later...