Interview Preparation

4/16/2014 - This is an OLD discussion of Interview Preparation from 2007, but is still relevant and may contain useful information, if you care to read through it. The 'Kitchen Sink' List is still good - RW

Maybe a good time to post parts of the Interview FAQ for those interviews coming up.. Good luck to all.

I have not updated this based on the new K1 letter.. so don't hesitate to question anything in this list, we want to keep everything up to date and as accurate as possible...

---

KITCHEN SINK LIST:
This is a personal recommendation based on interview and overcome, and more than the minimum required information to bring. Don’t confuse this recommend with guidelines stated by GUZ or other federal agencies. The VO is able to ask for anything. This list seeks to have as much as possible available.

1. Chinese beneficiary

A. Proof for Interview appointment:
- Your P4 appointment letter (must have to gain entry to consulate).
- Passport (must have to gain entry to consulate)
- Your P4 appointment letter (they are not likely to let you in without this).
- Receipt for the paid immigration fee
- Copy of the Notice of Action (NOA2 you received)
- Original Medical forms and exam results in sealed envelope
- Medical x-ray

B. Dependents:
If there are dependent children immigrating to the US with the Chinese beneficiary:
- Passport (or can be on Chinese beneficiary)
- Birth certificate
- Medical exam
- Passport photos, at least four (4). Print name on back.
- Police certificate, if over 16 years old
- Proof of full custody
- Death certificate (if deceased)
- Additional forms/documents as required

C. "Ex" Spouse (as applicable)
- Proof of residency (if divorced)

D. P3 paperwork:
Items sent back to GUZ:
- Copy of the DS-230 (K1 only part I)
- Copy of the OF-169 (Checklist from P-3)
- Copy of supplemental info sheet
Items collected:
- Current Passport of Chinese beneficiary
- Current birth certificate of Chinese beneficiary with Notarized English Translation; plus a copy
- Police Certificate(s) for Chinese beneficiary with Notarized English Translations; plus a copy
- Certified copy of Court or prison records for Chinese beneficiary (if applicable) with Notarized English Translations; plus a copy
- Certified copy of military records of Chinese beneficiary, if application / available; plus a copy
- Passport Photos of Chinese beneficiary. At least four (4). Print name on back.
- Martial certificate (single cert or marriage cert) of Chinese beneficiary with Notarized English Translation; plus a copy
- Divorce certificates (if any) of Chinese beneficiary with Notarized English Translation; plus a copy

E. P4 paperwork:
- P4 Appointment letter
- OF-171, Information Sheet
- Certification of Legal Capacity and Intent to Marry , DO NOT SIGN
- Original DS-156, Visa Application, in English and Chinese, fill out in duplicate.
- Original DS-156K, Visa Application for dependents, in English and Chinese, fill out in duplicate but DO NOT SIGN
- Original DS-157, Supplement Visa Application, in English and Chinese, fill out in duplicate (no signature required)
- Original GIV-24, family composition sheet
- Original GNI-2, supplemental form for K1

F. Miscellaneous:
- Wear your engagement / wedding ring (if available)

2. U.S. Petitioner

A. Regarding self
- Copies of petitioner’s passport with visas indicating dates of visit(s), including at least one visit within the last 2 years. If able, certify this.
- Divorce certificates for petitioner (if any); plus a copy
- Letter of Intent to marry in English (notarized and updated by petitioner for interview); plus a copy

B. "Ex" spouse and/or Dependents
- Proof of residency (if divorced)

C. Financial documents:
a. Two original, signed, and notarized I-134/I-864 with supporting financial documents including
i. 3 years of tax records reflecting (Form 1040 and W2s – guideline is income 125% of the poverty level)
ii. letter from employer regarding current employment and wage/salary)
iii. if your income is less than 125% of poverty level, bring copies of bank statements/ stock/bonds, etc.
b. If using a joint sponsor, two original, signed, and notarized I-134/I-864 with the supporting financial documents.

D. Miscellaneous
- Video for communication if in doubt

3. Relationship proof:
a. Informal pictures of the two of you together from your visits; pictures with family members are better.
b. Copies of phone records between the two of you (if available)
c. Originals of letters w/postmarked envelopes (if available)
d. Copies of emails reflecting communication over a period of time. Review the content of the email.
e. Proof of joint ownership, bank accounts, etc.

4. Copy of Any other documents submitted
- I-129F application and all submitted paperwork
- I-130 application and all submitted paperwork as part of CR1 process
- Copies of documents notarized or certified; in case they’ll take the copy instead of original

5. Blank forms
- Some have been caught off guard at the medical exam with an expired or incorrectly filled out form and have to go chase one down.

--------

Four folder approach:

(The description of contents written on the outside in English and Chinese)

1 - 1st folder, Proof for Interview (morning check-in), contained the medical envelope, our passports, and her P4 letter.
2 - 2nd folder, Relationship Evidence, contained our two best pictures(one of just us, the other with family) on the top so could easily be seen by VO, sample emails, MSN chat logs, postmarked letter, and a CD containing all of the chats and emails.
3 - 3rd folder, Financial Documents.
4 - 4th folder, Extra Relationship Evidence, contained itineraries, boarding passes, ticket stubs from traveling China, etc.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General Interview Advice:

1. Be organized in the paperwork so the beneficiary can hand over quickly what is asked. Separate small folders are recommended.

2. Prepare the best pictures (ones with family are best, but be prepared to state who is in a picture.. if a US relative, make sure beneficiary knows who is who). Possibly prepare one picture of you two in traditional custom, like if you went to Yunnan.. The sight of a USC in Chinese clothes usually brings a smile to a VO.

3. Group photos and correspondence into early, middle, recent ... some have been asked to see "early pictures" or "recent correspondence".

4. Dress appropriately, not too casual, like business casual

5. Be CONFIDENT, look in the VOs eyes (or at his nose or forehead). Usually the interview is quick and informal.. but has turns into an interrogative atmosphere. If asked about "why do you love him" or "why does he love you", state what you feel. Don't withhold a little personal feeling if that is what the VO wants.

6. Be the first to say "good afternoon" with a smile and get the first jitters to calm down.

7. Have one email log visible on the counter or on your lap showing communication.. Particularly if you want to show communication in Chinese or other language.

8. Have one picture visible if you want to convey anything specific that picture shows. I recall one BENEFICIARY had a picture of them in a “majority” groups dress, and the VO smiled at seeing it.

9. When asked for passport, give petitioner passport as well, particularly if he is there to establish this.

10. Answer directly, simply, and truthfully. If it is not enough, the VO will ask more.

11. If you don't understand, just say so and ask to repeat the question, don't guess at it (and never lie).

12. If the VO seems confrontational, simply take the questions literally and answer matter-of-factly. And smile.

13. IF asked for financial info, I would give it all to them. with the one asked on top. (I-134, employer letter, taxes with W2, bank letter). They cannot say you did not provide the right financial document then.

14. If a child is present, they often are not asked any questions. Just let the child know to sit by quickly unless directly spoken to.

15. Prepare your BENEFICIARY to know which town/state you will marry in. (have seen this asked enough that K1s should prepare for it).

16. If any previous marriages, expect more questions.

17. If your child will follow later, state this so that the visa packet is broken into two packets.

18. If you get a denial slip, be aware that overcome evidence is almost always going to get you the visa... Just get what they ask for.

Remember, it is rare to NOT ultimately get the visa. Be strong and supportive. Stick through it and you will get the visa!

----------------------------------------

TOP 10 MOST COMMON QUESTIONS [what they establish]:

1. May I see your passport(s) ; Also give petitioner passport if you have it [ Establishes eligibility and petitioner’s visits]

2. Who applied for you / who is the petitioner [Establishes your understanding of the petitioner]

3. How did you meet / where did you meet [Establishes that you meet]

4. How many times did he come / How long has he visited you each visit / how much time have you been together [Establishes bona-fide relationship via number of visits or amount of time together; If the VO has the petitioner passport (or copy), then this is akin to a test question. He already knows this by looking at the passport.]

5. What does he do / where does he live [Establishes relationship, that you know your fiancée / spouse]

6. Are either of you previously married / have children (k3/CR1, be prepared: If yes, most likely more to come]

7. Do you have photos [Establishes relationship]

8. Do you have financial (I-134 / taxes & W2 / employment) documents [Establishes meeting the financial requirements]

9. Do you have plans to marry / where will you marry (k1 only) [Establishes your intent to marry and live in US]

10. Are you a communist? [Establishes any ineligibility]

COMMON QUESTIONS TO PREVIOUS MARRIAGE:

Concerning Beneficiary:

How many times have you been married? (state how many times )

When did you get divorced? (give date)

Why did you get divorced? (state a reason)

Where is your previous husband? / Where does your ex-husband live? (If unknown, state as such)

After your divorce, do have contact with him? (be honest, but minimal. If no, state so)

Do you have any children? (state how many)

Who has custody of the child? (if your child is also seeking a visa, you must have full custody)

For the beneficiary having previous marriages, the VO wants to make sure that the ex-spouse is not in the country you are about to go to. Otherwise this could raise some concern that you are trying to get to that country to be with the ex-spouse. The VO also wants to ensure that you have full custody of the child, If your seeking a visa for the child.

Concerning Petitioner:

When did the petitioner get divorced?

Why did you get divorced?

How long was he married?

Does your spouse have any children?

Does your spouse’s son live with your husband?

How old is your spouse’s son?

Did you know your spouse/fiancée was married 3 times? (Yes, he was last divorced in 1973)

For the petitioner having previous marriages, the VO wants to ensure that the relationship is a bona-fide one. That the beneficiary knows the petitioner’s past, particularly if there are children.

MOST FREQUENTLY REQUESTED ITEM [DURING THE INTERVIEW]:

Most frequent documents requested, in order, during interview:

1. Beneficiary’s passport

2. Petitioner’s passport

3. Pictures

4. I-134 financial statement, tax returns or financial supporting evidence

5. Employment letter

6. Divorce decrees

Most frequent item needed for overcome evidence:

1. Request for evidence beyond the above

a. Video tape

b. Proof of trips

2. Documents missing or newer ones needed

a. Financial statement too old

b. Employment letter too old

c. Petitioner’s Passport not certified

d. Petitioner Intent to marry too old

e. Email showing dates, etc

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

INTERVIEW CONDUCTED IN WHAT LANGUAGES / DIALECTS:

“Most Consular Officers here speak Mandarin Chinese well enough to perform interviews in that language. If the applicant cannot speak Mandarin or English, then we usually have one of our Chinese co-workers who speaks the applicant's dialect translate. However, most applicants, especially fiance or marriage based visa applicants, speak Mandarin or English well enough that this is not an issue.” -- USCONGUZ

-----------------------

Day of Interview:

Your SO can be finish with the interview process as early as 10:00am or as late as 2:00pm. The appointment letter will tell you what time to arrive at the consulate. Many people will show much earlier than the appointment time. The order that you get in line in the morning has no bearing on the order of the interviews. Don’t worry about how many people are already in line; you will receive a number once inside that is based on your case, not based on when you got inside.

Step 1 Line up in front of consulate building.

There are two sections, the left hand side is for immigrant visa applicants. It is difficult to predict in which order the security guard let people into the consulate building, and it doesn't matter very much how early you get into the building either.

Step 2 Show security officer appointment letter and passport (bio-info page), receive a number card (the number here means nothing) and follow escalator to 4th floor.

Step 3 Go through first security check, follow escalator to 5th floor.

There are two lines here. The line on the left is for immigrant visa. This is a simple check. At this point you will have to leave behind any food or drinks. If you are in need of a restroom urgently, should find one now. Because there is no restroom beyond this point until you enter the interview hall and it could be over 20 minutes.

Step 4 Show passport and appointment letter again to the guard at the entrance of 5th floor. Hand over your number card. Line up at the hallway for final security check.

Two lines again, immigrant visa on the left. As you are approaching the front, some consulate worker will come collect your appointment letter. (I think this is for the purpose of pulling out those files for which applicant has arrived the interview hall.)

Step 5 Through final security check. Enter and wait in the interview hall.

If you have a mobile phone with you, it will be kept here and you will be handed a small plastic number plate, so you can get your phone back on your way out after the interview.

Step 6 You name be called, and you are requested to go to certain window. Hand over interview paperwork. Be asked a few questions and be given a number slip (Keep the slip and memorize this 4 digit number for the whole morning). Some applicant will be given a slip for paying needed application fee.

You will be requested to tear open the envelop sealed by doctors at the hospital. Hand over all the document to this GUZ Chinese employee. If certain document has been left out the envelop or if you want to replace some documents, you may re-arrange now. You will be asked a few questions, most likely related to previous overseas travel experience and your US visa history. The answer will be jotted onto a form. The 4 digit number is your ID from now on. The number sequence has no significance.

Step 6a (For applicants who were give fee slip/invoice) Pay application fee at window#14 (or whichever window you are told to)

Step 7 Name or 4 digit number be called, request to go to window#17 or #18 (window # could change in future), line up, show your number and your passport and appointment letter, get fingerprints scanned.

Step 8 Say Vow together with everyone in the hall.

This can happen anytime before your interview.

Step 9 Your 4 digit number is called. This is your interview!

Take a deep breath, relax and smile to you VO.

Congratulations! If you pass interview, you will be handed a pinky-orange slip with your appointment letter attached to it.

Now you can come out, pick up your mobile phone, and call your SO.

Don't forget to make arrangement for picking up your visa packet and passport through the post office. (You need cash)

David, you are a gentleman and a scholar !!! Thank you for all you do !!

You, and so many others, make this site so truly unique and very special for those of us still wandering around in the wilderness !! :) :D

David,

Thank you for this extensive list, I will have some questions about it here is one

Certification of Legal Capacity and Intent to Marry , DO NOT SIGN

I am sure that i am wrong but how can it be certified if it is not signed ?

Why is the reason to not sign this form. I am Sure SO has already signed hers.

Todd

Fantastic stuff! One question. I have not had any contact with my ex-wife since we divorced. I have no idea where she lives other than the fact that she still lives in the Houston area and that she has given birth to a newborn. I don't even know if she remarried or if she is living with someone and had the baby out of wedlock. My SO keeps asking me for a letter giving details relating to my exwife's current address and social security number. I don't know where she lives and I don't understand why I must provide my ex-wife's social security number. What is up with that? :huh:

INTERVIEW CONDUCTED IN WHAT LANGUAGES / DIALECTS:

“Most Consular Officers here speak Mandarin Chinese well enough to perform interviews in that language. If the applicant cannot speak Mandarin or English, then we usually have one of our Chinese co-workers who speaks the applicant's dialect translate. However, most applicants, especially fiance or marriage based visa applicants, speak Mandarin or English well enough that this is not an issue.” -- USCONGUZ

-----------------------

Day of Interview:

Your SO can be finish with the interview process as early as 10:00am or as late as 2:00pm. The appointment letter will tell you what time to arrive at the consulate. Many people will show much earlier than the appointment time. The order that you get in line in the morning has no bearing on the order of the interviews. Don’t worry about how many people are already in line; you will receive a number once inside that is based on your case, not based on when you got inside.

Step 1 Line up in front of consulate building.

There are two sections, the left hand side is for immigrant visa applicants. It is difficult to predict in which order the security guard let people into the consulate building, and it doesn't matter very much how early you get into the building either.

Step 2 Show security officer appointment letter and passport (bio-info page), receive a number card (the number here means nothing) and follow escalator to 4th floor.

Step 3 Go through first security check, follow escalator to 5th floor.

There are two lines here. The line on the left is for immigrant visa. This is a simple check. At this point you will have to leave behind any food or drinks. If you are in need of a restroom urgently, should find one now. Because there is no restroom beyond this point until you enter the interview hall and it could be over 20 minutes.

Step 4 Show passport and appointment letter again to the guard at the entrance of 5th floor. Hand over your number card. Line up at the hallway for final security check.

Two lines again, immigrant visa on the left. As you are approaching the front, some consulate worker will come collect your appointment letter. (I think this is for the purpose of pulling out those files for which applicant has arrived the interview hall.)

Step 5 Through final security check. Enter and wait in the interview hall.

If you have a mobile phone with you, it will be kept here and you will be handed a small plastic number plate, so you can get your phone back on your way out after the interview.

Step 6 You name be called, and you are requested to go to certain window. Hand over interview paperwork. Be asked a few questions and be given a number slip (Keep the slip and memorize this 4 digit number for the whole morning). Some applicant will be given a slip for paying needed application fee.

You will be requested to tear open the envelop sealed by doctors at the hospital. Hand over all the document to this GUZ Chinese employee. If certain document has been left out the envelop or if you want to replace some documents, you may re-arrange now. You will be asked a few questions, most likely related to previous overseas travel experience and your US visa history. The answer will be jotted onto a form. The 4 digit number is your ID from now on. The number sequence has no significance.

Step 6a (For applicants who were give fee slip/invoice) Pay application fee at window#14 (or whichever window you are told to)

Step 7 Name or 4 digit number be called, request to go to window#17 or #18 (window # could change in future), line up, show your number and your passport and appointment letter, get fingerprints scanned.

Step 8 Say Vow together with everyone in the hall.

This can happen anytime before your interview.

Step 9 Your 4 digit number is called. This is your interview!

Take a deep breath, relax and smile to you VO.

Congratulations! If you pass interview, you will be handed a pinky-orange slip with your appointment letter attached to it.

Now you can come out, pick up your mobile phone, and call your SO.

Don't forget to make arrangement for picking up your visa packet and passport through the post office. (You need cash)

Fantastic stuff! One question. I have not had any contact with my ex-wife since we divorced. I have no idea where she lives other than the fact that she still lives in the Houston area and that she has given birth to a newborn. I don't even know if she remarried or if she is living with someone and had the baby out of wedlock. My SO keeps asking me for a letter giving details relating to my exwife's current address and social security number. I don't know where she lives and I don't understand why I must provide my ex-wife's social security number. What is up with that? :huh:

Usually you don't need this. You certainly don't have to give it to your SO. However, if the VO asks for it and you don't have it, there is going to be a delay until you respond to the overcome evidence requested. The reason is to rule out visa fraud. I've concluded the people that are asked for this information fit a profile but it's really impossible to nail down parameters of the profile.

Recent divorces are more likely to prompt such questions. Recent divorces and low USC income are even more likely. High USC income pretty much rules out the suspicion that you're helping somebody get a visa in return for cash. You just do the best you can and hope for the best. If you can obtain proof of your former spouse's address and SSN, (usually from an old tax return) then it is prudent to make the effort to do so. If it is impossible, it's impossible and you just end up explaining why.

David,

Thank you for this extensive list, I will have some questions about it here is one

Certification of Legal Capacity and Intent to Marry , DO NOT SIGN

I am sure that i am wrong but how can it be certified if it is not signed ?

Why is the reason to not sign this form. I am Sure SO has already signed hers.

Todd

This is a P4 document.

This will be signed at the consulate, in front of a VO.

I posted this earlier today in another thread... The consulate now expects this information to be on hand.

The requirements change often.. it's important we stay on top of the changes... this is one of the newest changes.

The new letter to K1s state explicitly to have an "EXs":

1. Name

2. DOB

3. Last known address and telephone number

That means ANY of this info is fair game for the VO to request...

Will the VO ask for it? The trend has been to ask for this in some cases.. just look at the History Timeline blue slip tab.

This is not to send a scare... the fact is, we have been informed by the consulate.. so it's up to each to act accordingly to prepare how they feel they should.