I-94

Guest DragonFan

Guest DragonFan

The signs at the Chicago airport at customs said US Citizens and I think two other categories. I thought I had to go through the US Citizen line since that is what I am. Fan went through the other. I didn't know I was allowed in her line...I didn't want to leave her alone. She got done about twenty minutes before me anyway!

My question....we are filling out the 485 and it asks for the number on the I-94 form (arrival/departure card). Fan says they kept it. Did they, or did we misplace it? Anyway, what can we do if we don't have it? It looks like a required entry in the 485 form.

Thanks anybody

Look very carefully, a photo copy is needed to be sent in when you apply to adjust status, and file for EAD.

To replace it will cost you, $160 see: I-102

When you do go to an interview, the IO may or may not take the I-94, if they do not, you can then remove it, and save it and put it with your papers.

Look very carefully, a photo copy is needed to be sent in when you apply to adjust status, and file for EAD.

When you do go to an interview, the IO may or may not take the I-94, if they do not, you can then remove it, and save it and put it with your papers.

Before paying a fee, I would inspect every page of her passport closely. If no pages have staple holes but there is an entry stamp, it is the immigration official's mistake. You could make an infopass appointment, take the passport and papers in and show them their mistake. They may make arrangements to provide a replacement I-94 without the form or fee. Something similar was done for me.

Guest DragonFan

Before paying a fee, I would inspect every page of her passport closely. If no pages have staple holes but there is an entry stamp, it is the immigration official's mistake. You could make an infopass appointment, take the passport and papers in and show them their mistake. They may make arrangements to provide a replacement I-94 without the form or fee. Something similar was done for me.

THANKS GUYS!

Yeah that's what I was thinking...that it was his error. There are no staple holes in any page in her passport. There is only the red rectangular stamp from China and the oval stamp in blue and no writing or other information.

If it is not our fault we shouldn't be charged $160 for their mistake!

What is infopass and where do I go to do this?

Thanks again!

THANKS GUYS!

Yeah that's what I was thinking...that it was his error. There are no staple holes in any page in her passport. There is only the red rectangular stamp from China and the oval stamp in blue and no writing or other information.

If it is not our fault we shouldn't be charged $160 for their mistake!

What is infopass and where do I go to do this?

Thanks again!

Infopass is the new way to talk with an immigration officer about your case for any reason. You can click on the following link and make appointment.

http://infopass.uscis.gov/

DragonFan,

We had your exact problem two months ago. The customs officer at the port of entry also kept our I-94 and Xiaoxia¡¯ passport did not show any staple marks.

Here's my previous thread

We were able to obtain a new I-94 in a relatively short time and without paying a fee. Here is how we did it:

1. We made an Infopass appointment online to speak with an Immigration officer in our local area.
  2. We explained to the officer about our situation and showed that there were no staple marks on Xiaoxia¡¯s passport. He referred us to another local agency and gave us a referral form which he placed a checkmark next to "Deferred Inspections".
  3. We went to the referred agency's address at the Los Angeles downtown office (300 N. Los Angeles St. Room 1001, Los Angeles, CA 90012) with the referral form. The office was staffed by Border Patrol agents. While waiting in line, we overheard three other people with missing I-94 as well. We were given a new I-94 form and after we completed the form, the officer stapled the new I-94 to Xiaoxia's passport. We didn¡¯t have to pay a fee. As far as we know, none of the other three had to pay a fee either.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,

Chris & Xiaoxia

DragonFan,

We had your exact problem two months ago. The customs officer at the port of entry also kept our I-94 and Xiaoxia¡¯ passport did not show any staple marks.

We were able to obtain a new I-94 in a relatively short time and without paying a fee. Here is how we did it:

1. We made an Infopass appointment online to speak with an Immigration officer in our local area.
  2. We explained to the officer about our situation and showed that there were no staple marks on Xiaoxia¡¯s passport. He referred us to another local agency and gave us a referral form which he placed a checkmark next to "Deferred Inspections".
  3. We went to the referred agency's address at the Los Angeles downtown office (300 N. Los Angeles St. Room 1001, Los Angeles, CA 90012) with the referral form. The office was staffed by Border Patrol agents. While waiting in line, we overheard three other people with missing I-94 as well. We were given a new I-94 form and after we completed the form, the officer stapled the new I-94 to Xiaoxia's passport. We didn¡¯t have to pay a fee. As far as we know, none of the other three had to pay a fee either.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,

Chris & Xiaoxia

That is very good information, maybe Don can pin this somewhere??

DragonFan,

We had your exact problem two months ago. The customs officer at the port of entry also kept our I-94 and Xiaoxia’ passport did not show any staple marks.

2. We explained to the officer about our situation and showed that there were no staple marks on Xiaoxia’s passport. He referred us to another local agency and gave us a referral form which he placed a checkmark next to "Deferred Inspections".
  3. We went to the referred agency's address at the Los Angeles downtown office (300 N. Los Angeles St. Room 1001, Los Angeles, CA 90012) with the referral form. The office was staffed by Border Patrol agents. While waiting in line, we overheard three other people with missing I-94 as well. We were given a new I-94 form and after we completed the form, the officer stapled the new I-94 to Xiaoxia's passport. We didn’t have to pay a fee. As far as we know, none of the other three had to pay a fee either.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,

Chris & Xiaoxia

We were able to get a new I-94 through a similar process but in a different city than the POE. In our case, we noticed after arrival at home, far from the POE, that the I-94 and associated stamps bore a date that does not exist on the calendar. We had the I-94 but it was not stapled in the passport. After the infopass appointment we simply spoke to the Customs supervisor at the most local international airport by phone. He had the note from the USCIS infopass appointment and allowed us to mail the passport to him. He made all the corrections and sent it back with no fee.

They'll fix their mistakes but you have to talk to somebody with sufficient authority.

Edited by Duke (see edit history)

DragonFan,

Hope this helps.

Good luck,

Chris & Xiaoxia

That is very good information, maybe Don can pin this somewhere??

I just created a section for "Missing I-94" in the FAQ, in the non-AOS section (stuff after arrival and before filing).