The Chinese Prejudicial Chef Strikes AGAIN!

My wife Yin has struck again. Of course, it would be in this particular discipline or area of expertise. To refresh members of where this discourse starts, refer to the link here:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=12455&hl=

To be honest, my wife is truly an excellent cook. She makes every dish from her native Sichuan province imaginable. At the risk of sounding insulting to some members, she turns her nose up with disdain at other Chinese regional cooking. I personally enjoy all of the five major cooking styles of China and always want to try every one of them, when I¡¯m in China. My wife¡¯s words as best as I can remember them with a bit of paraphrasing; ¡°They are not ¡°real" Chinese and DO NOT know how to cook! Sichuan people are the best at cooking!¡±

Now readers understand where the title of ¡°Prejudiced Chinese Cooking¡± originates. This original setting was approximately 2 years ago in the city of Chengdu. Let¡¯s us fast-forward to today!

Lately my wife Yin has been complaining about the taste of foods that she obtains in America. Most especially, the pork and chicken. She smells them prior to cooking of the meat and will turn her nose up at them. She concisely and clearly states that they ¡°Don¡¯t smell right, and are not butchered and dressed in Chinese style!¡±

Obviously, I am just a poor dumb Laowei with only 270~ years of culture behind me. Her culture has 5,000 years, (which I think that she delightedly and gleefully, emphasis on the gleefully) informs me of all the time. Ladies and gentlemen, this is the ultimate Weapon of Mass Destruction, available to any Chinese woman, to establish their premise in any disagreement.

As of late, we are more or less forced to do all of our shopping in Oklahoma City. This locale is NOT the Mecca of Chinese culture needless to say! Shopping for foodstuffs is a clever combination of other Asian culture (e.g. Vietnamese, Thai) grocery stores, attending open flea markets, and a variety of American stores.

This more or less sets the stage of the following observations and saga.

We stop by a Vietnamese grocery store, which specializes in foodstuffs for both Chinese and Vietnamese shoppers. We have an extensive shopping list and this is first stop of the day. The conversation at the meat counter: The players: Yin, one very confused and unsuspecting Mexican clerk (here after referred to as CM) and myself.

Alice: ¡°Langon (while standing at meat counter) we do not buy pork." I just want free range chicken!¡±

Dave: ¡°What is a free-range chicken?¡±

Alice: ¡°Sagwah! This is chicken that walks around and has good exercise with legs and eats very good to eat. They taste very good!¡±

Dave: ¡°Exercise does this?¡±

Alice: Yes! (She waves at CM to come over for service)

CM: ¡°May I help you?¡±

Alice: ¡°I want to buy two free-range chickens!¡±

CM: What?

Alice: (speaking slower) ¡°I want to buy two free-range chickens!¡±

CM: I don¡¯t understand you! What do you want?

Alice: (speaking very slowly and enunciating every word) ¡°I¡­want¡­to¡­buy¡­two¡­free-range¡­ chickens!¡±

CM: What is a free-range chicken?

Alice: It is a chicken that walks around.

CM: (Looking a bit confused) ¡°Ma¡¯am¡± all chickens walk around!

Alice: (becoming a bit exasperated) I know they do! But I want one that walks around wherever they want to.¡±

CM: (quickly approaching the point of mental overload looks at me for help!) ¡°Senor, what does she mean by this free range chicken?¡±

Dave: ¡°Don¡¯t look at me!¡± I asked and I was called a Sagwah! I know that she wants a chicken to make soup. I know that every times she does this soup it still has the head and feet on it.¡±

CM: (immediately brightening) ¡°I know what she wants now, senor!¡±

CM: ¡°Please come here ma¡¯am.¡± Here is your chicken you wanted.¡± (He proudly holds one up that has recently come from the freezer. Crisis has been averted!)

Alice: ¡°It is frozen!¡±

CM: "We have too. It is health Dept rules."

Alice: ¡°Stupid rules!¡±

CM: ¡°I know but it is law!¡±

Alice: ¡°This is man chicken!¡±

CM and Dave: ¡°What?¡±

Alice: ¡°It is man chicken!¡±

Dave: ¡°A chicken is a chicken, what does a rooster or man chicken have to with anything?¡±

Alice: ¡°Man chicken is very bad and doesn¡¯t taste good!¡±

Dave: ¡°Why?¡±

Alice: ¡°Man is a man!¡± Same as man-chicken. They walk around and party, drink and do not do anything. They do not taste good, are too tough!¡±

Dave: ¡°Never mind! Just buy the damn chicken!¡±

Alice: "But Langoun, it is a man chicken! It won¡¯t taste good."

Dave: "I don¡¯t care if it is a man chicken, a woman chicken or a hermaphrodite chicken. We don¡¯t have a choice do we? Besides, a man chicken is called a rooster. A woman chicken is called a hen. OK?¡±

Alice: ¡°No I guess not! But soup will not taste good, because it is a man chicken! Are you sure these are the right words for calling chickens?"

Dave: Yes, Yin! I¡¯m pretty sure of the English language. OK?"

Alice: "OK I trust you. It is still a rooster, not a hen. Very bad taste. We Chinese people know. We have, 5,000 years of culture.¡±

Dave: "Darling, I love you and your cooking. I will somehow eat the soup! OK?"

Alice: "Are you sure Langoun? It will taste bad you know."

Dave: "Yes Darling, I¡¯m very sure!"

Shortly thereafter, we departed the store with our groceries and Yin¡¯s ¡°man-chickens.¡± That night she prepared Sichuan style chicken soup with one of the man chickens. The one thing that bothers me is to open the pot up and see a chicken¡¯s head sticking up and looking at me. I usually keep my piece about her cooking. However, I asked why she cooked the chicken with the head on. She has stated that it is for flavor.

I don¡¯t know about the rest of you in this forum. I think most American¡¯s would have a great deal of trepidation in seeing KFC, Church¡¯s or Pioneer Chick outlets, sell fried chicken heads, so the product has a distinctive flavor. This sounds like the original source of another urban myth. I wonder if this myth will make it¡¯s way to the Discovery Channel for the ¡°Mythbuster¡¯s¡± program. This is one show that, I do NOT want to miss! LOL

On with the saga. We ate the chicken soup over the course of the next few weeks. Needless to say, it was very good. However, there were many times when Yin would remark that the soup would be much better if she had a live chicken and cut Chinese way. I didn¡¯t have a clue of the following:

One: Where to get a live chicken?

Two: How to kill the chicken in a condominium complex, without violating some rule or another.

Three: Who got to do the killing? Mainly because I know that my wife is a ¡°city slicker¡± and the closest that she came to a farm was when she was employed at the PRC Agriculture Bureau, looking at rice paddies and aphids.

However, love is love. I began inquiring of people, where I could purchase live chickens. I got some seriously weird looks from people. When they asked why, I would explain the desire for live chickens. They looked like the poor clerk (CM) I spoke of earlier. Many of them were smirking, as I would leave their company. Twice, I imagined that I laughter! (Probably, just my imagination!) I suppose that it good to bring some levity into people¡¯s lives though.

I will now set up the next scene for you. Yin and I frequently volunteer at the city animal shelter. I¡¯m the son of a veterinarian and have loved animals all of my life. Yin at first wasn¡¯t too sure about the shelter, since she didn¡¯t have many pets or association with animals (besides rice aphids in her previous employers care). However, she took to it like a champ and began exercising some of the dogs, cats etc. I will point out that the shelter gets a myriad of animals, from raccoons and coatimundis and goes all the way to kittens and dogs. The point; the shelter also has chickens which have either been maltreated or use in cockfights. They are restored to health and later returned to the farm, adoptive home, etc. This is when Yin¡¯s eyes lit up with a new novel and original idea.

CHICKENS! In fact LIVE chickens! We now go to the animal shelter:

Alice: "Langoun, I want to adopt chickens!¡±

Dave: (me thinking quickly, Uh-oh! Something is up!) ¡°Why?¡±

Alice: ¡°They need good home right?"

Dave: ¡°I suppose so! Why chickens? Get a dog or cat if you want¡±

Alice: "But Langoun, I want to adopt some chickens!" I don¡¯t want another dog!"

Dave: "Darling, we can¡¯t have a chicken in a condo! First our home is in city limits, which means no farm animals.

In the second place I don¡¯t even know what the condo rules are for chickens.

Third, how would you feed them?"

Alice: ¡°We don¡¯t need to feed them, Langoun!¡±

Dave: (This gentlemen is where men need to have SAW. * Military term meaning situational awareness. I could see the gleam in wife¡¯s eyes. Suddenly, harsh reality set in! ) ¡°No Yin! You are not going to adopt chicken from the shelter, take them home with you and provide a pot for them to live in! Are you crazy, or what?¡±

Alice: ¡°It¡¯s OK I think. No one is adopting them. They have been here three weeks. I am helping Oklahoma. I¡¯m a very good Chinese woman.¡±

Dave: "Darling, I love you! But do you want me to get arrested? The Oklahoma Police Dept would be pissed that I am killing chicken in our yard, with kids running all over the place. The animal shelter people will personally hang me up by my thumbs! Are you kidding? YOU ARE CRAZY!"

Alice: "Then I can¡¯t adopt chickens, Langoun?"

Dave: "Not for eating them! NO!"

Alice: "If you say so, Langoun we won¡¯t adopt them."

Dave: "Thanks honey!"

Alice: ¡°But, I still want live chicken for soup! You find for me, OK?"

Dave: (sighhhhhh) "I¡¯ll try darling."

I finally found her chicken at a flea market near Oklahoma City. Went there and purchased three of them. Yes they were alive! I¡¯m thinking that my wife will get off my butt for a while. To the readers remember when I sliced my own thumb in a previous post? To me I cut myself. To my wife, she swore that police and paramedics should have been called. My wife is deathly afraid of blood.

Yep! You guessed it! I ¡®m selected as the executioner of the chicken! Better half wanted to do in a tree in the front yard. Why and how is that some Chinese women, don¡¯t look out of the window and see about 10 to 15 kids playing in the yard. This site alone should be a clue to even the slowest idiot!

However, I bound their feet, performed the task very quickly and mercifully! Gave the chickens to Yin, who was tasked for dressing the carcasses. Finally! I¡¯m thinking the end has arrived!

Later, that night wife proudly set the table with her ¡°Chengdu potted chicken.¡± Albeit with the head and feet still attached and strewed also (for that ¡°particular¡±) Sichuan taste.

It was obvious in her eyes that this was a meal meant for Chinese past memorable Chinese emperors of the Tang, Ming, and Song dynasties. And now for the reign of Emperor David, in Oklahoma City! I see the pride in her eyes at her culinary creation. I have now set the stage for the final segment. We began eating and the conversation approximately was as follows.

Alice: ¡°Langoun, how does hen chicken taste?¡±

Dave: ¡°Darling, it is delicious.¡± (I was saying this, as the omnipresent and baleful eye of the chicken head stared at me from the plate. Can a dead cooked chicken still be pissed off at me?)

Alice: ¡°David I told you female chicken is the best. We Chinese people know this. Wal Mart and American people don¡¯t know!¡±

Dave: ¡°Yes, you are right again darling. Chinese people know what is better!¡± (I have learned to pick my battles carefully!) Thanks honey, for the delicious food¡±!

I¡¯m thinking that the battle has been won. Yin has her chicken. Now my life can return to normal again!

Alice: ¡°Darling there is something else though¡­¡±

Dave: ¡°What is it Lampo?¡±

Alice: ¡°American pork tastes funny too. I think American¡¯s do not now how to make pork properly? Can you find Chinese style pork for me?¡±

My closing thoughts are CRAP! What Frankenstein have I created? Is it my imagination, or do I hear the same people I talked to previously, laughing again at me?

Well! I did marry her for better or worse! I wonder what the condo rules are regarding pigs?

The Sichuan Chef and her kitchen slave will now fade to black! Take care all and Merry Christmas. Both of give to you our sincerest regards for continued prosperity, fortunes and continued health to your families and yourselves. .

Dave

P.S. Yin thanks for all the material you give to me. Thank you for your making my life never to be boring, ever again. I love you.

Edited by Cerberus (see edit history)

:roller:

Dave, I just love the narative. I hope I can control my wifes conversations so well. I am surprised at her cooperation with you. You handle well.

After loosing my entire text I will have to make this short now. It sounds like your condo is in need of seling. Maybe get into a county but make sure pigs are allowed. Some rural areas here allow anything but pig farms.

Look for a small meat processing plant. Larger than a butcher shop, but small enough to be more of a mom & pop operation. We go to those for our sauseges and beef for our big 4th of July family party. Get those guys to get what you want and remember where they got it, as one pig/ chicken, sheep, goat, cheetos farmer may be differnt from another. If you find that then maybe you don't need to live in the county. But the drive from the county wouldn't be so bad would it? Maybe your wife needs the city though.

I think I ate this chicken in dumplings. I was taken to this dumpling resturaunt on my 2nd visit as I earned the nickname Doug Dumpling while in China. Chicken came out last and after this guy was finished.

So how did you do the deed quickly? She didn't mind plucking feathers? http://i16.tinypic.com/2h38rxs.jpg

Would she mind knowing a Northern Girl? The real question is if my wife would like a Southern girl I supose. Good poll question brewing.

Merry Christmas to you and all. Love your stories. Keep them coming. I love the dialog.

Doug

Dave once again another GREAT STORY!!

I have notice your choose your words very wisely

but I have a few question???

"Was that part her trainng you... or was that from a few years of her Mop and your Head coming together?"

How did you keep a straight face when she was asking for those "free range walking chickens?"

Is this what I have to look forward to when we return to the states together in about 8-9 days?

Bobby....

For Doug and Bobby,

I see a commonality in your post so I will handle response as one.

Dog, no don¡¯t need to sell the condo. In fact we rent it. Yin and I have no desire to have additional homes. Who would we give them to when we depart this, "vale of tears?"

When I was a soldier in Korea in 1976, I rented a small place outside of Euijeongbu. Every morning the owner would bring 10 or 15 chickens into the courtyard. I would wake up to clucking of the chickens and the like. I would lay in bed an attempt to go back to sleep. That is when one chicken would be grabbed and I would hear this awful ACCCCCK noise as he killed them. This is about 0530hrs in the morning.

Now try to imagine me, having a chicken hung upside down from a porch beam, drawing the chickens neck with children probably watching at first, then running off into the distance to tell their horrified parents. The rest of the vision consists of me being hauled away by local gendarme. This is all done in this nation's new "Politically Correct" environment.

I would be found sooooo guilty and soooo quickly my head would swim! LOL

As to the dispatching, I know that CFL many members of CFL disdain being ¡°Politically Correct.¡± However, many don¡¯t disdain the term and might take offense. As to the execution, I better not push the envelope and horrify some readers. I¡¯ll PM.

As to the feathers and offal, that is where I extracted my ¡°pound of flesh.¡± Remember the adage ¡°You shoot it, you clean it¡± given to hunters. I eluded that that the old statute had been repealed in recent years and had been changed. She bought it hook, line, sinker and the stern of the boat. God! Sometimes, I¡¯m such a bad man!

Bobby and Doug both. The hardest thing in my relationship is at times keeping a straight face. Yin is extremely cultured and educated. However, there are some chinks in her armor. You just have to know where and what they are. This is done only with great care and slight probing. LOL It takes some bit of time and no undue amount of idiocy on my part. Go to what is proverbially stated ¡°Going where angels fear to tread!¡± Pissing off a Chinese woman ain¡¯t in my game plan!

On a more serious note Bobby, Doug and all readers. Yes, huge amounts of humor can be found. This is true of my marriage and all others. You have to stop and smell the roses, see the humor and enjoy what you have. This is the underlying message in these posts. Many people miss the humor, or take the differences of their better half for granted. These omissions can lead to loss of love, trust, companionship a man and woman provide to each other. The marriage is not unlike water, it will always seek it¡¯s own level. Once the marriage has become stagnant at the lowest rice paddy, disaster is not very far off in the form of separation or divorce. The water (love) must be contained with walls, and refreshed with new water (love and understanding) In Korea the best rice (paddy) was always at the top of the mountain, where water was replenished daily. The worst rice was at the bottom paddy where the water was semi-stagnant.

A second lesson that I wished to impart to others was that I was not mop-slapped or trained in any way. I married a Chinese woman and I volunteered willingly. I knew that it would be trying at times. I was keenly aware that a mixing of cultures to form a hybrid relationship had to me made. The sum of a marriage is made up by all of the parts, good and bad, of the other person. Many people understand this. However, many people only mouth the words and attempt to change their partner into what they subconsciously believe an ideal mate. They fail to realize that changing the way a Chinese woman is tantamount to trying to push a Union Pacific locomotive off the tracks. They were born Chinese, they were educated as Chinese, they lived as Chinese and they will die Chinese. All of this is backed up with 5,000 years of culture. I believe that you have the idea.

Am I the great Buddha or Dr. Phil of relationships? NO! Have Yin and myself argued and disagreed over hundreds of things? Absolutely! Will there be a calm serene marriage, as we grow older in our marriage? Never! Arguments/disagreements will still occur. However, I have a better loving understanding of Yin, as she does of me. In short, both of us have adapted to each other and formed a loving hybrid marriage I spoke of earlier, which will survive for a very long time.

Will a divorce/separation ever occur with the steps that we have done? I don¡¯t know. However, what person in the world really knows their future? Enjoy what Life you have today! Tomorrow, it may be gone!

Dave

As to the dispatching, I know that CFL many members of CFL disdain being ¡°Politically Correct.¡± However, many don¡¯t disdain the term and might take offense. As to the execution, I better not push the envelope and horrify some readers. I¡¯ll PM.

As to the PC and horrified members, SCREW 'EM you're gunna take a break and you might as well leave them with something to remember you. :D

Bobby and Doug both. The hardest thing in my relationship is at times keeping a straight face. Yin is extremely cultured and educated. However, there are some chinks in her armor. You just have to know where and what they are. This is done only with great care and slight probing. LOL It takes some bit of time and no undue amount of idiocy on my part. Go to what is proverbially stated ¡°Going where angels fear to tread!¡± Pissing off a Chinese woman ain¡¯t in my game plan!

On a more serious note Bobby, Doug and all readers. Yes, huge amounts of humor can be found. This is true of my marriage and all others. You have to stop and smell the roses, see the humor and enjoy what you have. This is the underlying message in these posts. Many people miss the humor, or take the differences of their better half for granted. These omissions can lead to loss of love, trust, companionship a man and woman provide to each other.

The humor in the simple everyday things can be found without much effort and if you take yourself too seriously you can miss the pure joy in the moment and now I have both a wife and son to enjoy these times with. It can truly be a blast playing the straight guy to my wife and sons questions especially if others are around as I ask my simple questions to clarify their statements.

At times my wife has a wickedly evil sense of humor and it can be so very subtle, my best friend learned this the hard way and his wife wishes to this day she had a picture of him blushing in embarrassment.

I just came back from the church with Mick and our Salina. I sat down and opened this thread. Then I laughed from the beginning to the end while I was reading your story. I truly enjoyed reading the conversation between you and your wife.

When i came to the States a little over three and half years ago, I had similar feeling about the chicken and pork to your wife's. We Chinese used to the fresh food, even the meat. So we like to buy the live home raised chicken( I guess that is what your wife meant free-range chicken), then kill it at home (Some people save the blood to make soup too). At the begiining I looked for the live home raised chicken too. I found some in the flea market, but I never bought any because I had no sharp cleaver to end the chicken's life as soon as I want to be. After I was educated by one of our friends how dangerous the bacteria the chicken carries can be. Then I gave it up completely. Now I only buy the frozen chicken and washed hands with anti-bacteria soap after I touch chicken. But it is true that chicken and pork here taste a little different from those in China.

Thanks for your great post!

Li

then kill it at home (Some people save the blood to make soup too). Li

:xmastree: This has got to be for NewDay, where is he? Hahahahaha. I love it. That would be some tomatto soupe there. Maybe mix it with milk.

Just curious what all goes into this soupe now. You have my attention Li.

Doug

PS: and I wouldn't be so afraid of the diseas.

Dave,

I was thinking only of a place for you to raise your own game, or open a shelter in the county for your food.

But seriously these lil meat packing companies are great, sometimes.

Edited by SheLikesME (see edit history)

then kill it at home (Some people save the blood to make soup too). Li

:P This has got to be for NewDay, where is he? Hahahahaha. I love it. That would be some tomatto soupe there. Maybe mix it with milk.

Just curious what all goes into this soupe now. You have my attention Li.

Doug

PS: and I wouldn't be so afraid of the diseas.

Dave,

I was thinking only of a place for you to raise your own game, or open a shelter in the county for your food.

But seriously these lil meat packing companies are great, sometimes.

Doug,

Good thought. I had that one immediately and openly suggested to Yin to use a packing packing company, since I didn't want to do the butchering.

But Nooooooo! Yin wants to save money! That will teach me to keep my big mouth shut!

Note to self: Next time, just do it and don't talk about it!

Damn! Sometimes the frugality of the Chinese people drives me crazy!

Dave

I just came back from the church with Mick and our Salina. I sat down and opened this thread. Then I laughed from the beginning to the end while I was reading your story. I truly enjoyed reading the conversation between you and your wife.

When i came to the States a little over three and half years ago, I had similar feeling about the chicken and pork to your wife's. We Chinese used to the fresh food, even the meat. So we like to buy the live home raised chicken( I guess that is what your wife meant free-range chicken), then kill it at home (Some people save the blood to make soup too). At the begiining I looked for the live home raised chicken too. I found some in the flea market, but I never bought any because I had no sharp cleaver to end the chicken's life as soon as I want to be. After I was educated by one of our friends how dangerous the bacteria the chicken carries can be. Then I gave it up completely. Now I only buy the frozen chicken and washed hands with anti-bacteria soap after I touch chicken. But it is true that chicken and pork here taste a little different from those in China.

Thanks for your great post!

Li

Li,

You exactly mirror my thoughts, I was very concerned about the bacteria, etc. That was where the frozen man-chicken comes in at! As I stated, getting good Chinese groceries in Oklahoma City, is a very poor option. That is....not unless I want to go to DFW about 450 miles away.

Shhhh! My wife hasn't thought of this option yet! LOL

Dave

Highly enjoyable, but I'm glad it's you and not me. :D :P

"Baleful eye of the chicken" :D :D

Robert,

Yep, in my mind's eye I think that the chickens are still are still pissed off.

These days, I open the freezer door carefully. In the case that one of them reincarnates into a cougar and attacks, when I open the door.

Dave

We raise our own free-range chickens my wife will feed them rice along with their feed, on a cold morning she will take some rice from the rice cooker and add some feed while the rice is still warm/hot and feed it to the chickens they love it as the steam is coming off it. When I am working in the garden like I am currently doing the chickens will gather around and wait for me to turn the soil then it is like a free for all to get the worms my wife tells me worms make the yolk orange. When my wife butchers our chickens she will hold them by the feet upside down then take the head and pull it up to the feet exposing the neck with one hand, with her other hand she will take the cleaver and slice the throat and bleed the chicken blood into a bowl which will coagulate and be added to the soup later, it actually stays together in one piece, I believe this is what is called blood pudding it is actually sweet tasting to me.Then she will take a cooking pot and warm some water submerging the chicken and then plucking it they turn out beautiful, not much goes to waste she cleans the internal organs by using salt and oil. After cooking she takes out the chicken and butchers it and uses the broth for the soup. We raise hens we had one young rooster but when he started crowing he was the first to go to the pot. We use a food grade diatomaceous earth, which we feed to the chickens and dust their coop with to kill worms and parasites. I do not think you can find a healthier chicken than a free-range my wife does not like commercially raised chickens.

Edited by BillV 8-16-2004 (see edit history)

Thanks Billy. Good info. Will see what the wife says when she is here. I think she wants nothing to do with food other than at a market, considering her childhood responsibilities in the garden.

I just wonder about this blood business. Wonder if I was ever fed it? I don't think so as usually they like to try to gross me out over there in China land.

Thanks Billy. Good info. Will see what the wife says when she is here. I think she wants nothing to do with food other than at a market, considering her childhood responsibilities in the garden.

I just wonder about this blood business. Wonder if I was ever fed it? I don't think so as usually they like to try to gross me out over there in China land.

I saw blood pudding or blood tofu or whatever it is actually called in many restaurants in China it has the appearance of pudding and it is normally cut in cubes, I see it here at the Chinese markets in the deli. I do not know what blood is mostly used but I believe it is pork; we only use chicken since we raise our own and I know their healthy poultry.