observations on interview day pt1

These are some of the notes I jotted down to try to keep myself from going crazy during the wait. I hope they might come in handy to someone:

Arrived outside the consulate at 6:55. applicants were divided into Immigrant versus non-immigrant. May be safe to assume larger grouping is the immigrant[remember K1 is considered immigrant for interview day purposes]. SO could get on the line while you double check. There were 3 ilnes inthe immigrant section(it was left of the non-immigrant line. line 1 noticeably longer than the others. We got into line 2. There were about 130 people there at that point. There was another foreigner who came with his SO, arriving at 6, who was 20 deep in the 2nd line.

There are devices infront for giving the general size of the line. When I had arrived there were 3 fairly orderly lines. about 7:10 when those line had reached the road I believe they moved one of the barriers in the front and formed a 4th line. [choosing a line: see below]

Eventhough the appointment letter said 7:15 nothing seemed to happen until 7:30. there were about 10 blue-clothed consulate security keeping general order with one using a somewhat ineffectual bullhorn to make announcements. The guards did not seem to be stressed about the later start so I am assuming a 7:30 start is normal. about 250 people were in the immigrant line by the time they started to check passports and appointment letters.

When they started one guard was at the front of the lines checking passport and appointment letter. He would take the first person(s) from each line in order. Line 4 seemed to have to wait. Perhaps there was some bleeding into line 3 I couldn't see any though. So when arriving I would choose the shortest line of the three. Choose 1or 2 over 3 to be safe about a potential line 4.

LG can stand in line with SO, but does not need to for any reason except to support SO. I choose to stand with her and carry the sink. She should have passport and appointment letter ready. You need to have nothing ready. If there is an extra hand around they could wait off to the side to hold the sink. LG will not need ID. When arriving to the front of the line the guard will direct SO to take off hat or glasses and check picture and appointment letter. She will be directed to take the escalator up to the 4th floor. She will get a plastic number tag--she will need this to enter consulate from the 4th floor.

The escalator takes some time so a savvy SO might take the elevator by going under the escalators on your left hand side as you go in. Probably not worth the effort.

Once getting to the fourth floor the SO is expected to go up to the consulate immediately. This is just to get a place on line, but since it is not first in/first out you may forgo this. I actually ran and got her a snack and she used the bathroom at this point. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. It is awhile to the next bathroom once you pass through.

The SO's journey from this point has been explained well in other posts, so I will not comment further on those since my SO has not gone over so much of those points with me.

Once you say goodbye to the SO it is time to hunker down at the overpriced coffee shop. It is located right next to the exit your SO will use and it has no walls impeding your view to the exit so it is an ideal location. Having said that there are about 4 tables that are ideally positioned to allow you and your SO to see each other as she exits. The tables get progressively more inconvenient. My recommendation is that you grab one of the prime tables as early as you can. to set up camp. I do not know how it is best to do this without abandoning your SO. Maybe go and order something and put a book down with your drink and say you are going to the bathroom while your SO is in line outside... If you see a foreigner at one of those tables you could ask them if you could join them. Being able to make idle talk helps with the time.

Edited by longstrangetrip (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk
This is some great information. I think my SO was planning to be in line at 7:15 as instructed, but based on your experience, I will tell her to be in line at 6am.

235205[/snapback]

That's one take on it. My wife knows that the interview times are not assigned in the order of the line outside, so doesn't intend to go down early for no purpose but to stand in line, wait and fret. Of course, I won't be there, so getting a good seat in the coffee shop is of no concern.

Because of the recent danger warnings, I have no desire to suggest my wife prolong the time she stands in front of the US Consulate as a target.

This is some great information. I think my SO was planning to be in line at 7:15 as instructed, but based on your experience, I will tell her to be in line at 6am.

235205[/snapback]

That's one take on it. My wife knows that the interview times are not assigned in the order of the line outside, so doesn't intend to go down early for no purpose but to stand in line, wait and fret. Of course, I won't be there, so getting a good seat in the coffee shop is of no concern.

Because of the recent danger warnings, I have no desire to suggest my wife prolong the time she stands in front of the US Consulate as a target.

235208[/snapback]

What danger warnings are you refering to?

Guest pushbrk

235205[/snapback]

235208[/snapback]

What danger warnings are you refering to?

235330[/snapback]

In searching for a link to give you, I found the warning has been withdrawn.

Withdrawn