I tried to get my I-134 notarized today at the U.S. Consulate's Office in Guangzhou. I got there at 3:10pm. The guard told me the Consulate's office is closed after 3:00pm. I didn't realize they close so early! Fortunately, the guard was kind enough to give me a phone number to call the Consulate's Office to see if they could squeeze me in. The number he gave me was 85187605.

The representative answering the phone told me the I-134 no longer needed to be notarized. He told me to just sign the I-134 and give it to my fiancé to take to the interview. This contradicts everything I have read thus far about the I-134. Is this a new policy from Guangzhou that we weren't aware of? If so, we should inform our members so they don't need to waste time and money to get something done that's not required.

It would be nice if Guangzhou could confirm this new policy.

Chris

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShaQuaNew
I tried to get my I-134 notarized today at the U.S. Consulate's Office in Guangzhou. I got there at 3:10pm. The guard told me the Consulate's office is closed after 3:00pm. I didn't realize they close so early! Fortunately, the guard was kind enough to give me a phone number to call the Consulate's Office to see if they could squeeze me in.  The number he gave me was 85187605.

The representative answering the phone told me the I-134 no longer needed to be notarized. He told me to just sign the I-134 and give it to my fiancé to take to the interview. This contradicts everything I have read thus far about the I-134. Is this a new policy from Guangzhou that we weren't aware of? If so, we should inform our members so they don't need to waste time and money to get something done that's not required.

Chris

234035[/snapback]

The form does indeed require notarization as evidenced by the statement at the bottom of page two:

http://i7.tinypic.com/214wh2d.jpg

This information is to be completed by a notary after witnessing your signature.

I tried to get my I-134 notarized today at the U.S. Consulate's Office in Guangzhou. I got there at 3:10pm. The guard told me the Consulate's office is closed after 3:00pm. I didn't realize they close so early! Fortunately, the guard was kind enough to give me a phone number to call the Consulate's Office to see if they could squeeze me in.  The number he gave me was 85187605.

Chris

234035[/snapback]

From the GUZ K1 FAQ:

"What kind of Affidavit of Support does my K-1 petitioner need to prepare for my visa interview?

"K-1 petitioners should prepare the I-134 Affidavit of Support, which they can get from their local CIS office or on the CIS website http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/. However, it is not a required document as long as applicants can demonstrate at the interview that she/he will not become a public charge in the States."

Perhaps since they don't actually require the form itself, they are only interested in the supporting documents. The notarization does nothing to attest to the validity or accuracy of those documents.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Chris

234035[/snapback]

From the GUZ K1 FAQ:

"What kind of Affidavit of Support does my K-1 petitioner need to prepare for my visa interview?

"K-1 petitioners should prepare the I-134 Affidavit of Support, which they can get from their local CIS office or on the CIS website http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/. However, it is not a required document as long as applicants can demonstrate at the interview that she/he will not become a public charge in the States."

Perhaps since they don't actually require the form itself, they are only interested in the supporting documents. The notarization does nothing to attest to the validity or accuracy of those documents.

234152[/snapback]

As nice as it may seem that the GUZ speaks forum is there, you should NEVER ever count on the information there as being valid. The fact is the American consulate in Guangzhou is occupied by several hundred staffers, all of which have their own personalities and unique intrepretations. The best thing anyone can do is too much, as in when in doubt notarize, if only one years tax return is requested give them three.

One day, someone at the door may ask for a document, then next, they may not. Wben it comes to the interview day, there is no time to go get something that someone somewhere told you you didn't really need. If in doubt, fill out two forms two different ways, and have blank forms with you just in case.

Guest pushbrk

The representative answering the phone told me the I-134 no longer needed to be notarized. He told me to just sign the I-134 and give it to my fianc?to take to the interview. This contradicts everything I have read thus far about the I-134. Is this a new policy from Guangzhou that we weren't aware of? If so, we should inform our members so they don't need to waste time and money to get something done that's not required.

Chris

234035[/snapback]

From the GUZ K1 FAQ:

234152[/snapback]

As nice as it may seem that the GUZ speaks forum is there, you should NEVER ever count on the information there as being valid. The fact is the American consulate in Guangzhou is occupied by several hundred staffers, all of which have their own personalities and unique intrepretations. The best thing anyone can do is too much, as in when in doubt notarize, if only one years tax return is requested give them three.

One day, someone at the door may ask for a document, then next, they may not. Wben it comes to the interview day, there is no time to go get something that someone somewhere told you you didn't really need. If in doubt, fill out two forms two different ways, and have blank forms with you just in case.

234154[/snapback]

Anytime you are tempted to take the attitude, "this will probably do." I suggest you give yourself a swift kick. This is your future you're dealing with. More importantly the future of your family.

Guest ShaQuaNew
I was in the Guangzhou Consulate last week; I showed up at 10 AM.  An employee there also told me that Guangzhou Consulate will not notarize I-134's, nor will they notarize tax returns.

They just said sign the I-134 and give them a copy of the taxes and that's fine.

234197[/snapback]

Attention Candle People..........!!!!!!

Accept short-ended statements at your own peril. Remember, every document has instructions. Follow those directions implicitly. Then, go the extra mile when presenting evidence. If you're the sort that likes to cut corners and wait till the last minute then you deserve what you get at the interview. I only feel sadness for your unsuspecting Chinese partner that is trusting you to help them through this process.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
I was in the Guangzhou Consulate last week; I showed up at 10 AM.  An employee there also told me that Guangzhou Consulate will not notarize I-134's, nor will they notarize tax returns.

They just said sign the I-134 and give them a copy of the taxes and that's fine.

234197[/snapback]

Could be they have changed things, but they notarized one for me on June 28th. :)

I'm always cautious about what the American Services side tells people, when I was there they told one guy who was between P3 & P4 that he could easily get a visitors visa for his fiancée to come to the US so they could get married in July and then she could come back to China for the K-1 interview. I had to explain to the poor guy that if they issued his fiancée a visitors visa, highly unlikely, and they got married, she would then return to China and they would have to start all over again with a CR1/K-3 since she would no longer qualify for the fiancée visa because she was married.

The point of this story is to not trust that one side of the house knows what the other requires and demand their explanation in writing and hopefully signed off on by the IV Unit.

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)

I agree that one should never be too careful. I have done everything by-the-book so far in the K1 process and have never taken any shortcuts. But when the Consulate tells me that I don't need to complete the paperwork certain way, I tend to follow their instructions.

I agree with Randy that we need to keep an open mind that policies do change.

The reason I started this thread is trying to confirm if this is a new policy. If so, then we should inform our members that the I-134 is no longer required to be notarized but is recommended by many members to get it anyway. This way, our members will have the correct information to make their own decisions.

Chris

Guest pushbrk
I agree that one should never be too careful. I have done everything by-the-book so far in the K1 process and have never taken any shortcuts. But when the Consulate tells me that I don't need to complete the paperwork certain way, I tend to follow their instructions.

I agree with Randy that we need to keep an open mind that policies do change.

The reason I started this thread is trying to confirm if this is a new policy. If so, then we should inform our members that the I-134 is no longer required to be notarized but is recommended by many members to get it anyway. This way, our members will have the correct information to make their own decisions.

Chris

234214[/snapback]

It's a good reason to start a thread. It is always a good idea to follow the written instructions on a form.

However, if you are IN China with the form, taking it to the Consulate is your only remaining available option. It's the only option a DCF filer would have if they stay in Country. If they won't do it, they won't do it but we know they did a month ago, so it's probably worth your time to show up at during appropriate hours and make the direct attempt.

The I-134 is not a required document for K-1. They do ask for it occasionally though.  If they won't notarize it then do the best you can.

234237[/snapback]

I sent the consulate an email and here is their reply:

Your fiancee should prepare an I134 regardless how much income she has. If she lives in Guangzhou, she can has this document notarized at the U.S. Citizen Services in the U.S. Consulate General, Guangzhou.