Travel back to China with a Green Card.

Hi All...

The wife and daughter are going back to China next month and see the family after a little over a year here going through the AOS process and finally getting their green card. :(

Following are clips I got from searching about traveling back to China and am wondering if things are still the same...or anything changed?

What DID catch my eye is the 'AOS STAMP' inside her passport...She has no such thing and wondering how does she get? :angry:

lol...She set up the flight yesterday, couldn't sleep last night because she was so excited.... :P

frank1538: "I think that she would be able to travel to China without the need for a Chinese visa - just her Chinese passport and ID. For her travel back to the US, her Chinese passport and her green card should do the trick."

donahso:"For any travel outside of the US, they are Chinese citizens and travel on their Chinese passport. The green card is only good for their reentry into the US. The only country I know for sure that is easy for a Chinese citizen with a green card to enter is Canada, although there may be others."

warpedbored: "Don't worry about name change her passport will have an AOS stamp inside it. Do make sure you buy the tickets in the same name as her passport though or they won't let her on the plane."

You don't have to worry about any stamps in the passport provided you have the actual green card - the stamp was just temporary until she got the real deal. (She might even have the stamp and you don't know about it.)

Has anyone's name changed? If so, I think you'll need to take their passport to a Chinese Embassy or Consulate and get that updated, but this is just a guess.

You don't have to worry about any stamps in the passport provided you have the actual green card - the stamp was just temporary until she got the real deal.  (She might even have the stamp and you don't know about it.)

Has anyone's name changed?  If so, I think you'll need to take their passport to a Chinese Embassy or Consulate and get that updated, but this is just a guess.

201605[/snapback]

My wife just left last week to visit her family in china. so far so good.

She even transited through Hong Kong and no problems on entry.

All she has is her chinese passport and green card for entry into US.

Name must match passport.

Nothing to worry when you have the green card (as long she doesn't stay too long oversea - less than a year).

--------------------------------------------------------

http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/Emergency/index.htm

"Re-Entry Permit

Lawful Permanent Residents (green card holders) use re-entry permits to re-enter the U.S. after travel of one year or more. For LPR’s returning to the U.S., re-entry permits are generally valid for two years from the date of issuance of the re-entry permit. The LPR should apply for this benefit before leaving the U.S.

Conditional residents use re-entry permits to re-enter the U.S. after travel of one year or more. For conditional residents returning to the U.S., re-entry permits are generally valid for two years from the date of issuance of the re-entry permit or until the date the conditional resident must apply for the removal of conditions, whichever comes first. The conditional resident should apply for this benefit before leaving the U.S. "

Edited by tonado (see edit history)
You don't have to worry about any stamps in the passport provided you have the actual green card - the stamp was just temporary until she got the real deal.  (She might even have the stamp and you don't know about it.)

Has anyone's name changed?  If so, I think you'll need to take their passport to a Chinese Embassy or Consulate and get that updated, but this is just a guess.

201605[/snapback]

201760[/snapback]

My wife went to China to visit family last year. She has her maiden name on her passport and her married name on her green card. She had no problem what so ever leaving or re-entering the country. You do have to have the plane ticket in the same name as on the passport though in order to board the plane.

201605[/snapback]

201760[/snapback]

My wife went to China to visit family last year. She has her maiden name on her passport and her married name on her green card. She had no problem what so ever leaving or re-entering the country. You do have to have the plane ticket in the same name as on the passport though in order to board the plane.

202011[/snapback]

Well ... there you have it ...

Still, I'd suggest getting the names changed when you have a chance to avoid any problems. E.g., if you're applying for a visa for a European country that requires PRC citizens with US green cards to get visas, it couldn't hurt to have the green card and passport listed with the same name. But I'll bet there are examples of that not being an issue either.

#1, as many folks have said here, she should not have any problem if she has got her green card with all information correct on it. What she needs is her Chinese passport and her Green Card, of course her air tickets as well.

#2, the stamp in the passport is usually given at the spot in the local INS office when the person passes the AOS interview. The stamp is only temporally used as a Green Card before the real Green Card arrives to the person. It is usually expired in a year since the day the stamp is chopped on the passport.

#3, if your wife’s name changed, legally she needs to have the new name added on her Chinese passport. This is called Jia Zhu. Some people traveled back to China without any problem when they didn’t Jia Zhu their new names on their Chinese passports, but there is always a risk. By the way Jia Zhu the new name is pretty easy anyway.

I traveled back to China with my little daughter last Nov. and I am going to travel back to China with her this April. I had my Green Card, but unfortunately, the INS made an error on my DOB. So last time I used the stamp in my passport since the stamp was still valid. But now, the stamp has already expired. So I havefiled I-90 to replace my Green Card. This coming Wednesday, I am going to the local INS to have them chop another stamp before they correct my Green Card.