Notarized Birth Certificate & Marriage Certificate

Stone

One of our members voiced the following concern:

Regarding Notarized Birth Certificate, if my understanding is correct, the Chinese Notary Public can give you two kinds of notarizations: one is called the Birth Notarization; the other one is called Birth Certificate Notarization. The former is kind of certifying you were born at specific date and the parents¡¯ names, while the latter is to certify the authenticity of the Chinese Birth Certificate. The rumor from 001 forum is that the US Consulate needs both of them now at the interview.

Does the beneficiary need both kinds of notarization at the time of interview or one of them would suffice?

This can also apply to Notarized Marriage Certificate.

Thank you!!!

What you need is the Notary Certificate of Birth. You obtain these in notary offices in China. This is the first document you mentioned. These are called "GongZhengShu" in Chinese.

I'm not really sure what the difference is between this and the other type of document you mentioned. Could you post the name of the other one in Chinese or in PinYin? Since these are Chinese documents confusion sometimes occur in the translation back and forth.

I'm not really sure what the difference is between this and the other type of document you mentioned. Could you post the name of the other one in Chinese or in PinYin? Since these are Chinese documents confusion sometimes occur in the translation back and forth.

196951[/snapback]

1.About Birth

a. ³öÉúÖ¤¹«Ö¤chushengzheng gongzheng

b. ³öÉú¹«Ö¤ chusheng gongzheng

2.About Marriage

a. ½á»éÖ¤¹«Ö¤ jiehunzheng gongzheng

b. ½á»é¹«Ö¤ jiehun gongzheng

196951[/snapback]

1.About Birth

a. 出生证公证chushengzheng gongzheng

b. 出生公证 chusheng gongzheng

2.About Marriage

a. 结婚证公证 jiehunzheng gongzheng

b. 结婚公证 jiehun gongzheng

197124[/snapback]

We only require notary certificates for birth, marriage, etc. These are the GongZhengShu 公证书

We do not require the other kind.

How did this rumor get started that the other kind is also required?

It all gets started by one of 001 member who recently applied for her domestic CR1 petition in Beijing USCIS office. She submitted the most-common-use notary certificates for birth and was told to bring in the other kind, ChuShengZheng GongZheng, or call Notary certify of true copy of the Chinese Birth Certificate. It scares lots of 001 members to dead. People can't distinguish between Beijing USCIS office and Embassy, since both are in the same building.

It all gets started by one of 001 member who recently applied for her domestic CR1 petition in Beijing USCIS office. She submitted the most-common-use notary certificates for birth and was told to bring in the other kind,  ChuShengZheng GongZheng, or call Notary certify of true copy of the Chinese Birth Certificate. It scares lots of 001 members to dead. People can't distinguish between Beijing USCIS office and Embassy, since both are in the same building.

197515[/snapback]

Please keep in mind that USCIS might have different requirements than the Consulate in Guangzhou, so they might need the other type of document you mentioned. Everything posted by USCONGUZ in this forum only applies to the US Consulate in Guangzhou. Other Embassies, Consulates, and USCIS have different requirements and processes.

Edited by USCONGUZ (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...
It all gets started by one of 001 member who recently applied for her domestic CR1 petition in Beijing USCIS office. She submitted the most-common-use notary certificates for birth and was told to bring in the other kind,?ChuShengZheng GongZheng, or call Notary certify of true copy of the Chinese Birth Certificate. It scares lots of 001 members to dead. People can't distinguish between Beijing USCIS office and Embassy, since both are in the same building.

197515[/snapback]

Please keep in mind that USCIS might have different requirements than the Consulate in Guangzhou, so they might need the other type of document you mentioned. Everything posted by USCONGUZ in this forum only applies to the US Consulate in Guangzhou. Other Embassies, Consulates, and USCIS have different requirements and processes.

198207[/snapback]

Okay, Dear Everyone,

Let's me tell you my latest experience( Yesterday Mar. 23, 2006) with my Direct Consulate Filing.

Started from last week. Last Friday I phoned GuZ consulate with my husband, ask the lady which kind of notary certify they need, there are two kinds of notarizations like Mama Bear mentioned. And the lady of Consulate told me Both of them, these are for my Marriage and Divorce certificates.

It was proved yesterday when My hubby and I went to Guang Zhou Consulate to file the I-130 petition. They checked both kinds of Nortaries.

Because I don't have a Birth Certificate, so I did the Birth Nortary. But Yesterday The Consulate lady told my hubby: only the nortary is not enough, and she handed my hubby a note about the regulation and asked me to get a certificate from local security bureau( my Hu Kou's Pai Chu Suo), also need to be nortarilized.

And this Morning I went to Pai Chu Suo, be told they don't certify people's Birth, though I got what i want because I know someone in the Pai Chu Suo.

The point to me is why consulate wants something that is very difficult to get or even can't get, unless petitioner or the benificiary knows some people!! Doesn't make any sense. In China people's private file ( Ge Ren Dang An) are managed by Ren Shi Ju instead of Security Bereau!

The regulation says:

Birth documents of the Beneficiary:

1. Original Birth Certificate issued by the hospital

If the Original Birth Certificate is not able to submit, please providea letterhead certificate issued by local public Security Bureau certifying the original is kept on record or at loss. The exact date of birth and the names of the parents should be listed on the certificate;

2. Notarial Birth Certificate

A certificate, which certifies the name of the Beneficiary, his/her date of birth and the names of the parents.

This certificate must be applied with the local Notary public office.

3. Notarized Translation of the Original Birth Certificate.

A certificate, which includes a copy of the Bene's original birth certificate and a full English translation.(If a copy of the original Birth Certificate cannot be submmitted, a copy of the Certificate form the local public Security Bureau and a notarized full English translation must be submitted instead.)

It all gets started by one of 001 member who recently applied for her domestic CR1 petition in Beijing USCIS office. She submitted the most-common-use notary certificates for birth and was told to bring in the other kind,?ChuShengZheng GongZheng, or call Notary certify of true copy of the Chinese Birth Certificate. It scares lots of 001 members to dead. People can't distinguish between Beijing USCIS office and Embassy, since both are in the same building.

197515[/snapback]

198207[/snapback]

Okay, Dear Everyone,

Let's me tell you my latest experience( Yesterday Mar. 23, 2006) with my Direct Consulate Filing.

Started from last week. Last Friday I phoned GuZ consulate with my husband, ask the lady which kind of notary certify they need, there are two kinds of notarizations like Mama Bear mentioned. And the lady of Consulate told me Both of them, these are for my Marriage and Divorce certificates.

It was proved yesterday when My hubby and I went to Guang Zhou Consulate to file the I-130 petition. They checked both kinds of Nortaries.

Because I don't have a Birth Certificate, so I did the Birth Nortary. But Yesterday The Consulate lady told my hubby: only the nortary is not enough, and she handed my hubby a note about the regulation and asked me to get a certificate from local security bureau( my Hu Kou's Pai Chu Suo), also need to be nortarilized.

And this Morning I went to Pai Chu Suo, be told they don't certify people's Birth, though I got what i want because I know someone in the Pai Chu Suo.

The point to me is why consulate wants something that is very difficult to get or even can't get, unless petitioner or the benificiary knows some people!! Doesn't make any sense. In China people's private file ( Ge Ren Dang An) are managed by Ren Shi Ju instead of Security Bereau!

The regulation says:

Birth documents of the Beneficiary:

1. Original Birth Certificate issued by the hospital

If the Original Birth Certificate is not able to submit, please providea letterhead certificate issued by local public Security Bureau certifying the original is kept on record or at loss. The exact date of birth and the names of the parents should be listed on the certificate;

2. Notarial Birth Certificate

A certificate, which certifies the name of the Beneficiary, his/her date of birth and the names of the parents.

This certificate must be applied with the local Notary public office.

3. Notarized Translation of the Original Birth Certificate.

A certificate, which includes a copy of the Bene's original birth certificate and a full English translation.(If a copy of the original Birth Certificate cannot be submmitted, a copy of the Certificate form the local public Security Bureau and a notarized full English translation must be submitted instead.)

201466[/snapback]

Keep in mind that when you are filing a petition at the Consulate (DCF), you are still filing the petition with USCIS. As previously mentioned, their requirements might be different from the Immigrant Visa Unit and what we require at the intervew.

As a follow up, many people in China now live in another city than thier hukou. If the benificiary has official birth, divorce etc documents from the city of their hukou but has the notatorial translation of these same documents done in another city are they still acceptable?

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)
As a follow up, many people in China now live in another city than thier hukou.  If the benificiary has official birth, divorce etc documents from the city of their hukou but has the notatorial translation of these same documents done in  another city are they still acceptable?

201949[/snapback]

Yes, they are acceptable