Pacair range hood

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShaQuaNew

Where does it exhaust? Outside? The link said no filter so I'm assuming that it sucks up stove stuff and vents it outside.

Interesting that it says it's "Quite" must be Chinglish for Quiet :D

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Where were you when I changed out the stove, this is exactly what I was looking for. Guess we will have to see how the exiting unit works out and I expect that within the week I'll be ordering one and have it shipped to the office.

The big trick is sending her shopping with mom or someone else while I replace it. :P :lol: :lol:

Where were you when I changed out the stove, this is exactly what I was looking for. Guess we will have to see how the exiting unit works out and I expect that within the week I'll be ordering one and have it shipped to the office.

The big trick is sending her shopping with mom or someone else while I replace it.  :lol:  :P  :blink:

158707[/snapback]

Huh? Lee, you got a great helper there, what's the worry? :(

• 2 years later...

I finally broke down and bought on the these ¨C Pacair hood vents for my wife. :P

I almost felt like I was buying a new car - $600 for a 36¡± model. Of course we had to have to black model too! :)

Bought it direct from the manufacturer - of course they have dealers here in Houston but the dealer wanted $650. The one I bought included shipping and no TAX! :boxer:

I will install it and let you know how it works when it gets here!

I would also like to know where it vents out to. We have an old condo and we dont have any vents in the kitchen, which really sucks, so this would be perfect or i would need to spend tons of money to remodel the place.

Boy are you in for a BIG surprise. I hope you have a balcony or back yard patio because you will NOT want you wife cooking Chinese food in the house unless you can live with the smell for weeks on end. Consider the fact that most Chinese love seafood, especially fish. Now combine that with cooking every night and you get the meaning of what I¡¯m am trying to do!

Jen-Air makes several models in the 300-400 CFM range that have carbon filters that DO NOT vent out. But in my opinion you are just re-cycling the smoke in the house.

As far as spending ¡°ton of money¡± to vent out in your existing condominium, you will need to make that decisions. I bought a new house several years ago only to find out that they did not vent the exhaust system out. What a shame because it was a beautiful house and the builder took shortcuts in the process. I spent around $300 to $400 just the vent out the smoke. Well worth it too!

p.s. ¨C Do you know or realize how much oil is used in cooking Chinese food with a wok. Now combine that with the odor and you¡¯ll know what I mean. Most of the vent hoods that are sold for Chinese cooking have built in oil traps for the oil that is caught in the fan unit.

Edited by Urkidding (see edit history)

We try not to use as much oil here and such. But i will see about getting a vent installed in our condo if the HOA will allow us to. I guess it would best to do it now so i can sell it in the near future if it ever goes back up. But i live in a Beach town, so it should be easy to sell it hopefully.

thanks for the feedback!

We try not to use as much oil here and such. But i will see about getting a vent installed in our condo if the HOA will allow us to. I guess it would best to do it now so i can sell it in the near future if it ever goes back up. But i live in a Beach town, so it should be easy to sell it hopefully.

thanks for the feedback!

We've got the same issue......living in a condo with an HOA and wondering if a ventless system can get most of the oil out. I spoke with an appliance repairmen who thought there were ventless systems that worked pretty well on getting the grease.

Guess I got some research to do on this.......

I don't think that this smell and grease problem is necessarily a universal feature of Chinese cooking.

Lao Po cooks Chinese maybe 5-6 nights a week (remainder is American). She primarily uses a big steel wok and during the time of actual cooking you can smell the dinner on the ground floor where the kitchen is but not usually upstairs. It's not a huge home, only 2100 sq ft. She uses an electric stove and therefore has modified her cooking so as not to be quite as hot as cooking over flame. She has also modified her cooking to use less oil than she/mama did in China. Our stove has an ordinary "builder's quality" hood with a stainless steel filter thing that she washes every now and then.

After dinner maybe a little odor hangs around but it dissipates rapidly. In the morning when I come downstairs for my run I don't smell food at all.

Once she did have some oil left in a dish that fish had been cooked in ... that did smell the next day. I asked her to put it in a covered container, which she now does routinely, and that problem was fixed.

Maybe there's a partial solution for the kitchen oder problem by:

- cooking at a little lower temperature

- using less oil (healthier, and the end result is the same)

- keeping used oil, and all food, in covered containers

Just a thought ...