Hello Everyone.

I'm new - though I feel I've been part of you for a while. . I want to first thank all of you for your invaluable help in my visits to CFL - particularly the "older" "timers" - who have graciously and sincerely given so much for a long time - Frank, Warpedboard, Don, Nooneufo, Trigg, David, and others. Your sense of "family" and selflessness reaching world-wide is remarkable. For me and my fiancee it's been and is, quite a journey, as is for the members and visitors to CFL. When I figure out how to post the timeline, I will do so.

My fiancee and daughter were granted K1 and K2 visas June 28, 2005. A handful of easy questions. I will go again to China, 6th time, September 25, to accompany my fiancee to Philadelphia, via JFK, October 2. But because I understood that since my fiancee will come without her daughter (soon to be 19) at this time, it was necessary to have the Consulate separate their sealed "brown envelope" documents. Consequently she and daughter recently went to Guangzhou. I emailed Guangzhou asking them to facilitate the meeting with my fiancee. They answered me in 6 hours. (my 3rd email in 13 months). This is their complete reply.

"Please be advised that if K2 applicant will go later than K1 applicant, K2 applicant can enter the port of entry of the U.S. with the visa and without the visa packet."

So - it seems things have changed. Although the 13.5 hour one way train ride to Guangzhou from Guilin was needless, their reply was very much welcomed. Perhaps this information will help others. Thank you Frank for the good advice to make sure my fiancee's daughter has a copy of the emails for the Immigration Officer, just in case. I will bring the emails for our return trip October 2 as well. (again "just in case" the Immigration Officer gets confused seeing the brown envelope with both K1 & K2 documents.)

Good wishes to you all for countless joys, Vincent

Sounds like things are moving along for you. One thing to keep in mind is that, while a "follow to join" K-2 can interivew and get the visa up to one year after the K-1 is issued, the K-2 visa must be used within 6 months of issuance. Since, in your case, the K-2 was already issued on June 28th, it must be used for entry into the US before December 28th (give or take a day). Looks like your soon to be new step daughter will be here by Christmas. Good luck.

Welcome to CFL and your kind words. I am just a semi old timer. The true old timers are guys like Don, Mick and PJ who went through 17 months or more to get their wives here. Oh and don't believe Trigg that really was him in chat.

Welcome to CFL and your kind words.  I am just a semi old timer.  The true old timers are guys like Don, Mick and PJ who went through 17 months or more to get their wives here.  Oh and don't believe Trigg that really was him in chat.

154833[/snapback]

BUZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz Wrong Carl, you are a true old timer--maybe not on the candle but an old timer nontheless!

:offtopic: :offtopic: :P :whistling:

Thank you Carl and Trigg - Your nimble serious posts are easily matched by your welcomed humor and friendly chides - really great!

I have a question: Frank pointed out that my K2 step-daughter to be has 6 months to enter the US after issuance of K2 visa on June 28. Since she is currently enrolled in a university, can I apply for and get a visa extension for her beyond the 6 months - up to one year?

...can I apply for and get a visa extension for her beyond the 6 months -  up to one year?

154845[/snapback]

That's a tough one. I know in the past it was possible to get an extension due to hardship, but in very limited circumstances. It would be best to check with GZ about that.

Off the top of my head, I can think of a couple of options. The first is to have her come before the six months runs out. Assuming you are married, immediately file for her AOS and AP simultaneously and wait 2-3 months for the AP to be issued. Then she can return to China.

The other option might be to contact GZ and ask if the K-2 can be voided and see if she can re-interview for a K-2 within a year.

Maybe others have more knowledge than I on this issue.

Guest ShaQuaNew
Hello Everyone.  I'm new - though I feel I've been part of you for a while. .  I want to first thank the "older"  "timers" -like - Frank,  Warpedboard, Don, Nooneufo, Trigg, David, and others.  Your sense of "family" of  reaching world-wide is remarkable.

154771[/snapback]

Wait a minute. He's got a "warped board." Why would anyone carry around a warped board?

Update regarding k2 following K1 within 1 year of K1 arrival, with K2 visa expiring 6 month after visa grant date.

My lawyer says it will not be a problem to get a K2 "kind of visa extension". In my case, the K1/K2 was granted June 28, 2005. Therefore, according to the lawyer, since my fiancee's daughter will be attending a Chinese University this academic year, lawyer says shortly after December 28, 2005 (and before June 28 2006), it will be necessary to apply for this "kind of extension", and also that fiancee's daughter is to make an appointment (via my letter to be written with help of lawyer) and personally go again to the Consulate whereby the Consulate will put a new visa in her passport. Frank - I think perhaps this is a "voiding" option of the earlier visa , that you talked . I hope so. (and thank you Frank). Jim_Julian - I hope this helps you, possibly others too, now or down the road. I will post updates when I know more and in the thick of it. If any of you know of caveats, please let me know.

Although I was with my fiancee when she and daughter got their visas June 28, my fiancee did not return with me because of certain circumstances. So, I now again leave for China 9/25 and return with my fiancee 10/2. Very short this time. (6th trip).

I'm very excited - very happy - very loving . My faith and belief that personal love is possible and necessary at any age is - well - beautifully "overwhelming". Thanks CFL, for a whole lot.

Vincent I would highly recommend that you check and then recheck your lawyers assertion that your step daughter can get an extension. I would email GZ and ask them. Lawyers have often been wrong before and if the lawyer is wrong it will take you 2-5 years to get her here. Honestly I think your best option is to bring her here ASAP. Accompanying her mother would be best.