Interview experience

We went to the interview lines about 7:30am. There are two lines: To the right was the non-immigrant and to the left was the immigrant line. Each one has a sign at the front of the line in both chinese and english.

I was surprised that not many were in line, maybe 40 people were in the immigrant line, which is the line you should get in.

Seems about 7:45 they started to let people in and checked the IDs and p4 letters outside once. We were inside the building working our way up floors by escalators. At the third floor they had someone checking IDs and P4 letters again. For whatever reason, which contradicts other's experience, they told us I could not go to the 4th floor. At that point I went back to the hotel.

Zixuan proceeded up to the 5th floor. She mentioned that they took her phone and put it in a locked drawer, giving her the key. Also mentioned a security check point like walking through one in an airport.

Gave the P4 letter and waited [a long time] to be called by NAME to window # 20. She was close to the last one called to a window for check in.

She provided medical papers, passport and P4 letter. She received three papers to sign: "Intent to Marry" , DS-157, GNI-2... all three of which she had previously filled out and were put in the medical envelope.

Then she received a number (0767) and was told to go sit down. Then she was called by NUMBER to window # 30, showed her passport and number. Here she had biometric (fingerprint) done on each index finger. Then was told to sit again.

After everyone was done with biometric, all together they took an oath in chinese stating: Today, they will speak the truth. Then everyone sits again.

She was called as one of the first to window # 26 and was greeted by an african american female VO alone.. only suggesting that there was no translator there at the beginning.

Questions proceeded as follows:

Q1) Do you speak english as well as chinese?

A1) I can speak some english, I am learning. But I will understand you better if you speak in chinese. (This reply was first given in english than chinese).

Q2) Can I see your passport?

A2) Handing both passports through the window, she says in chinese, "Here is my passport and my fiancee's passport".

The VO stated that she did not need to see my passport and handed it back through the window.

Q3) How do the two of you communicate and talk?

A3) If the conservation is easy, I talk in english. If I have something complicated to say, I use the computer. (this reply was in chinese).

Q4) Has your fiancee been married before?

A4) Yes. He has two children. A boy named xxx who is 16; A girl named xxx who is 19.

Q5) What does your fiancee do for work?

A5) He is a computer programmer. (This reply was first in english and then in chinese).

Q6) When do you plan to get married?

A6) When we are in US, we will decide date. (This reply was in chinese).

No evidence or forms were asked for; neither did my SO ask if the VO wanted to see anything. VO just told her she would get visa. To go pay the visa fee in the building and then in two days to pickup visa.

---

A few observations/comments

---

1. We prepared a three folder approach: (1) photos taped to sheet of paper with date above each picture. About 12 pictures, four from each of three trips. (2) Financials all in one folder. If anything was asked, she was to give the entire folder so she did not pull out the wrong item. I saw another member (whose interview is later) had a folder the same way but with tabs at the bottom to show name of financial. I would do it over like this. (3) Communication. A few emails, all phone logs, one IM chatting in a day. Then we had two extra envelopes with lots of extras for odd request or for overcome evidence.

2. I think the idea of bring the notarized passport (which I did have), an updated intent to marry, etc have become more common recently. I think this is because of the few denials that occurred over the last year and people needing them for overcome evidence. So I will state that these items are not needed for the interview in my opinion, but a preventative measure in case they are asked for as overcome evidence.. you will already have them ready.

3. I half expected the 'sept tsunami' interviews to go quickly and easily... and the VOs will figure out their pace as they go along.

4. The questions asked were all from the Top 10 list in the FAQ Interview.. the one exception might be the first question (do you speak english)... I expect we'll see this question first as there appeared to be no translators at any window. Maybe the VOs will ask this first so they can see if they need to request a translator--previously, the old building had a translator present at the start of the interview and was told to leave if not needed. Now, maybe it is the opposite approach--translators are called on if needed (?).

5. My SO was dressed nicely and felt very comfortable and confident in the interview.. somehow she got the impression I would move to china is she did not get the visa... I guess I do recall one discussion like that... :unsure:

6. Since her english is not good at all, we coached through the interview a few times, but we only reviewed the Top 10 questions, then a few from the Top Divorce questions as well. Since she answered the "previously married" question very thoroughly, she did not get another 'marriage question'. Usually I have seen marriage questions come in at least two questions or more. As well, she told them she talks to me in english if it is easy and chinese is more complicated. SO she did this in the interview. If the question was very simple (#5), she then answered in english as well... to support the idea of using english.

7. Last, but not least... do I think the interview is pre-determined ? I hate to get into this discussion since it becomes too black and white at times with people siding differently. I prefer to think of it like applying for a Mastercard credit card... You submit paperwork for it and if you meet the requirements then there is an assumption you will get the credit card. If they want to ask me any questions, they can. So, in this sense, I think that the visa is predisposed for "yes" unless something catches their attention, and the interview is the last confirmation or time for them to see any flags. I do believe that at times, the reason for a denial is usually without merit for those of us on CFL since we are truly a dedicated bunch to both the woman and the process... but maybe there are latent quotas to meet as well. And one has to be very careful about the 'third party issues'... I respect that others may feel differently and so this is only my opinion...

We went to the interview lines about 7:30am.  There are two lines: To the right was the non-immigrant and to the left was the immigrant line.  Each one has a sign at the front of the line in both chinese and english.

I was surprised that not many were in line, maybe 40 people were in the immigrant line, which is the line you should get in.

She was called as one of the first to window # 26 and was greeted by an african american female VO alone..  only suggesting that there was no translator there at the beginning.

Questions proceeded as follows:

Q1) Do you speak english as well as chinese?

A1) I can speak some english, I am learning. But I will understand you better if you speak in chinese. (This reply was first given in english than chinese).

Q2) Can I see your passport?

A2) Handing both passports through the window, she says in chinese, "Here is my passport and my fiancee's passport".

The VO stated that she did not need to see my passport and handed it back through the window.

Q3) How do the two of you communicate and talk?

A3) If the conservation is easy, I talk in english. If I have something complicated to say, I use the computer. (this reply was in chinese).

Q4) Has your fiancee been married before?

A4) Yes. He has two children.  A boy named xxx who is 16; A girl named xxx who is 19.

Q5) What does your fiancee do for work?

A5) He is a computer programmer.  (This reply was first in english and then in chinese).

Q6) When do you plan to get married?

A6) When we are in US, we will decide date. (This reply was in chinese).

No evidence or forms were asked for; neither did my SO ask if the VO wanted to see anything. VO just told her she would get visa.  To go pay the visa fee in the building and then in two days to pickup visa.

153325[/snapback]

David, thanks much for the detailed recap! Was very glad to see the discussion about English vs Chinese spoken in the interview.

Did you have any dependent children involved besides your SO's visa?

Again, congrats and thanks again for your extensive contributions to helping us all better prepare our SO's!!

My SO had no children.. so there was only one visa involved.

This week, I know that BuffaloPaul's SO had a child visa (K2).. you can see his thread..  but, they had fewer questions than I did !

153343[/snapback]

Thanks much David. I'm curious to see if there is any difference in times from NOA-1 to Interview as well as interview questions related to the dependent child.... haven't seen any yet is why I am asking.

Thanks again, Jim