Zen Stories

I was thinking, we kinda hit a topic a lot of us can put some great imput into. So I thought maybe to start a thread about it, see what we can come up with. During my years of kungfu training, I got to study and learn so many different ideas and stories. So I thought we could each share some stories heard or philosophies to live by...

(Please, no politics from any of us.. thanks)

There was an american who wanted to go study kungfu under a great master in asia. So the american was in the masters main study room, talking to him about how much he has learned and how far he has come in his study. The master sat and listened as the man went on and on with his training and where he was in life. So the master asked the man if he wanted some tea, and started pouring it for him. The man was holding his cup of tea, and the master started pouring, and calmly sat and continued to pour, even as the mans cup filled and started to overflow. After a bit of this, the man was getting uncomfortable with all the tea pouring out of his cup and on the floor, and said to the master, "are you going to stop?"

The master responded, "this cup is like your mind, and it is so full, that nothing else can enter it. Unless you empty your cup, I can teach you nothing."

Well, thats close anyway. Its been years since I thought of that story.

Oh another thing, try not to tell the moral of the story, let the reader figure it out if possible. Thanks again

:o

One day a master and young monk was walking down a forest path. They came across a beautiful woman trying to cross a river stream, but it was too deep. The old master stepped up, swept the woman up in his arms and carried her across, setting her down on the other side. As they continued to walk down the path, this action bothered the young monk, and so he asked, "Master, why did you pick up the young lady back there?" and the master replied, "I put the lady down, why are you still carrying her?"

:blink:

These first two above are ones I know and like.. the first is a bit modernized with an american :) .. the second is very practical !

--

This story originates from Hui-Neng (Dajian Huineng, "Caoxi": 638-713), the master usually honored as the father of modern zen... known as the sixth patriarch... who has one surviving work which can be found in english translation (I have one).

He was conferred with the robe of Bodhidharma from the fifth patriarch and sent off in the night... stayed in seclusion for many years and nearing forty, ventured to Fa Hsin Temple in Canton , disguised as a guest ...

Two monks were arguing among a crowd over the flapping of a banner in the wind. One monk said, "The banner is moving". The other said, "No, it is the wind that is moving.

Hui-Neng interrupted with the dramatic, "you are both wrong, it is your mind that moves"...

He was invited to a seat of honor and questioned... some in the crowd stated they had heard the next patriarch was to be somewhere in the south...

Book referenced above: "The Diamond Sutra and the The Sutra of Hui Neng"

The Japanese Rinzai Zen is often credited to Ma-Tsu-Tao-i (Mazu Daoyi "Daji"; 709-788), from Szechuan. He was the originator of "shock" or "sudden" enlightenment. This story is his 'enlightenment' as a young monk:

As a beginner as a zen monk, Mao-Tsu was often absorbed in meditation. One day a master came upon the young monk and asked about the purpose of his long meditations. Mao-Tsu replied, "I want to become a buddha, an enlightened being".

Saying nothing, the master picked up a brick and started rubbing it on a stone. Mao-Tsu asked: "Why are you rubbing that brick on the stone". The master replied, "I am polishing it into a mirror". Mao-Tsu asked: "But how can you make a mirror by polishing the brick on a stone?". The master replied: "How can you become enlightened sitting in meditation?".

Mao-Tsu replied, "What is the correct way?". The master replied, "It can be compared to an ox pulling a cart. If the cart doesn't move, do you strike the cart or strike the ox?

Mao-Tsu was the first to apply nonmeditative tricks to move or jolt a monk into enlightenment.. by shouting, screaming a name as one is leaving a room or to strike a blow or to response with meaningless and irrelevant answers that exposed the weakness of the original question:

A traveling teacher asked and got back the same question of "what teaching do you teach"... the teacher gave his credentials. Mao-Tsu asked, "are you not a lion?" which the teacher replied, no. Mao-Tsu puffed twice, and the teacher replied this was the way to teach zen. Mao-Tsu replied, "what way do you mean?" and the teacher replied "the way the lion leaves his den".

Mao-Tsu become silent and the teacher said "this is also zen". Mao-Tsu said, "what way do you mean?" and the teacher replied , "The lion remains in his den".

Mao-Tsu said, "when there is neither going out nor remaining in, what way would you say that was?"

David, you might recognize this one too, I think it was said about Mao-Tsu.

A monk was sleeping one day and he was dreaming he was a butterfly. When he awoke he asked "Am I a man who was dreaming I was a butterfly, or a butterfly that is dreaming he is a man?"

When Rin-zai[1]was assiduously applying himself to Zen discipline under Obak (Huang Po in Chinese, who died 850), the head monk recognized his genius. One day the monk asked him how long he had been in the monastery, to which Rin-zai replied: 'Three years.' The elder said: 'Have you ever approached the master and asked his instruction in Buddhism?' Rin-zai said: 'I have never done this, for I did not know what to ask.' 'Why, you might go to the master and ask him what is the essence of Buddhism?'

"Rin-zai, according to this advice, approached Obak and repeated the question, but before he finished the master gave him a slap.

"When Rin-zai came back, the elder asked how the interview went. Said Rin-zai: 'Before I could finish my question the master slapped me, but I fail to grasp its meaning.' The elder said: 'You go to him again and ask the same question.' When he did so, he received the same response from the master. But Rin-zai was urged again to try it for the third time, but the outcome did not improve.

"At last he went to the elder, and said In obedience to your kind suggestion, I have repeated my question three times, and been slapped three times. I deeply regret that, owing to my stupidity, I am unable to comprehend the hidden meaning of all this. I shall leave this place and go somewhere else.' Said the elder: 'If you wish to depart, do not fail to go and see the master to say him farewell.'

"Immediately after this the elder saw the master, and said: 'That young novice, who asked about Buddhism three times, is a remarkable fellow. When he comes to take leave of you, be so gracious as to direct him properly. After a hard training, he will prove to be a great master,

Toki-yori (1247-1263) attained to Enlightenment by the instruction of Do-gen and Do-ryu, and breathed his last calmly sitting cross-legged, and expressing his feelings in the following lines:

"Thirty-seven of years,

Karma mirror stood high;

Now I break it to pieces,

Path of Great is then nigh."

David, you might recognize this one too, I think it was said about Mao-Tsu.

A monk was sleeping one day and he was dreaming he was a butterfly. When he awoke he asked "Am I a man who was dreaming I was a butterfly, or a butterfly that is dreaming he is a man?"

yes, I know this and once told a group of teenagers this... you should of seen the blank stares on their face! :huh:

I have not see who originated it...

Reminds me of a story by the Italian writer Calvino, who wrote of two men who found themselves fenced in a plot of land.. to discover that they were really in a cage and some chickens (?) were outside and their proportions were reversed !

Rin-Zai (also called Lin-chi, Linji Yixuan, "Huizhao"; d.866), from Nanhua in ancient Caozhou (now Dongming in Shandong), is preeminent in the history of zen.. as the founder of the Linji school of Zen (in japanese, Rinzai).

After leaving Huang Po (Dan's story above), who directed him to go to teacher Ta-yu, Rin-zai's enlightenment was as follows upon his first encounter with the teacher:

Rin-zai explained he came from Huang Po and the "three slaps" he received. Ta-yu stated that Huang Po treated in with great compassion to relieve your distress. Upon hearing this Rin-zai said, "actually Haung Po's dharma is not so great!".

Ta-yu say, "you little bed wetter, first you say you don't understand now you say there's nothing to the teaching of Huang Po. What do you see, SPEAK! SPEAK!".

Rin-zai slapped (or hit) Ta-yu three times !! Then Rin-zai returned to Huang Po.

Huang po said, "this fellow who's coming and going. How can he ever stop?". Rin-zai said "through compassion" with a bow. "Who has come and returned?" . Rin-zai recounted his meeting with Ta-yu.

Huang Po said, "that old fellow talks to much! Next time I see him, I'll give him a painful swat!". Rin-zai said, "Why wait until later, here's a swat right now!".

Rin-zai then hit Huang Po !

Huang Po yelled, "This crazy fell has come here and grabbed the tiger's whiskers!". Rin-zai yelled ! Huang Po yelled at an attendent , "Take this crazy man to the practice hall"

-- thus was born the lifetime of shouts and swats by the famous zen master Ren-zai... and 'sudden' enlightenment was revolutionized.