I think we will pursue DCF in Sydney...

After carefully pondering our options, we have decided to pursue a direct consular filing in Sydney, Australia for my would-be Chinese wife.

We plan on getting married in Australia sometime in July, as soon as I arrive. We need to begin the process by early August, since her visa is only good until mid-February. She needs to prove that she is residing in Australia for a minimum of 6 months before she is allowed to pursue the I-130. BTW, I am a US Citizen, and i have received a response from the embassy in Sydney saying that she can pursue the I-130 as long as she can prove she is there for the 6 month minimum.

Can anyone tell me what else to watch out for in this application process? Getting married in Australia and filing an I-130 is the procedure for direct consular filing right? And the result would be an immediate permanent residence upon entry into the US?

One problem is that she is already there in Australia and may not have all the paperwork she needs. For instance, she has no police record. Is it easy for someone to get her police record and mail it to her in Australia or does this need to be done in person?

I hope this can work out, and i have to say i'm a bit nervous about it, because we are going to invest a lot into this DCF method, including me quitting my job early so I can move there and be with her during these 6 months.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much for any information you can offer :D

normally, you must be a resident of the country submitting under (??)

Please read prior to any decisions:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=compare

http://foia.state.gov/masterdocs/09fam/09n0200.pdf

I just worry if the consular believes you are using the country in order to expedite the visa, they are not obliged to accept the application and can turn you away.. then your married and waiting longer than for a fiancee visa...

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

yea, i was concerned about that as well. but the embassy said that we can do it even if i'm a US Citizen, as long as my fiancee is legally residing in Australia during that time.

i do hope this works out!

thanks for the links... i've read through a lot on visajourney.com, but the DCF process can be different in all countries, so i will definitely have to get this straightened out as best I can before we decide to proceed!

Thanks again.

Maybe in 10 years, we will be debating the lore of DCFA .. half of the people will claim that this movement began in Australia and thus the "A" at the end.. the other half will attribute it to "A"udelair !!

:) THanks for the encouragement. I have to admit i am very nervous about this. I just had a conversation with my fiancee and we are both excited and skeptical at the same time. Please wish me luck. I will be sure to keep constant update on here, as i'm sure others will be interested in how it goes :)

hehe, the replies actually make me even more nervous. so are most of you skeptical that this can work out in 6 months? :)

also, does anyone know if it is possible for her sister or mother to get the police certificate for her and mail it to her in Australia?

thanks again!

thanks guys... yea we put the decision on hold for the past couple of months, since it was too difficult at the time to decide how to proceed. With the help and advice from people on this forum, i think we are ready to try the DCF option.

i will definitely update on the progress here :) thanks again for your advice. i will start having her seek her police record.