What items are good to bring back from China?

If your Chinese loveones are leaving China, what should she/he bring to USA?

Is there anything that is worth bringing? I mean you can't get it here in USA or very expensive?

My wife is now in China. I am trying to get a list of items for her to bring back. I told her not to bring back any pirated CD/DVDs (don't want her to get into trouble with the custom officers).

1. Chinese slippers

2. Black mushrooms

3. Chinese teas

4. silk items

I'll make a slight detour in this since I see two opportunities... yours, and if the USC goes to China, what items are worthwhile to buy:

- Buy luggage. Very cheap and you can find good quality. I'd get some large ones.

- Buy clothes. Men should buy suits. They can be gotten for about $15USD. Buy shoes. If you like leather jackets, this is the place.

- VCD/DVD . Got to disagree with you about this.. First, they'll be in your luggage that you check . Second, there's no way of really spotting them. They are packaged like any regular disc with cover, etc. Third, you claim on the customs the total value of goods you bought. I've brought back many on two trips.

Guest DragonFlower

My wife has a DVD player that plays anything you put in it.DVD,HD-DVD,VCD,CD,ntsc,pal and so-on with no region coding.Be nice to have a couple of those here.Legality kinda grey.But they would probably just confiscate if you did not have a dozen with you.Don,t bring new packaging,if they decide you should not have it,you are only out 50 bucks.

Chinese traditional medicines,way harder to obtain here.

long

My wife has a DVD player that plays anything you put in it.DVD,HD-DVD,VCD,CD,ntsc,pal and so-on with no region coding.Be nice to have a couple of those here.Legality kinda grey.But they would probably just confiscate if you did not have a dozen with you.Don,t bring new packaging,if they decide you should not have it,you are only out 50 bucks.

long

First you you have to worry about the power.. it's probably 220v.

Second, you can buy this in the US for about $45.

Whether you try Radio Shack or the internet as a search, you want:

CyberHome CH-DVD-300.

It will play DVD, VCD, CD, MPEG, JPG, NTSC, PAL.

There's a 'hack' way to change the Region from 0-6. (they must set them prior to shipping to different countries).

I brought back many movies, some of which would not play in my Panasonic DVD player.. but they play on my CyberHome...

I also heard you get good eyeglasses (presciption) very cheap. I am not sure about contact lens.

This is true, but beware. Chinese eye doctors (even the good ones) have a slightly different philosophy than western ones. For example, chinese will almost never fill a prescription for astigmatism. Not sure if this is worth it if you've got good insurance.

Actually, I am not sure if you can bring in hua jiao. I sure would like to.....gotta get me some Chongqing Huoguo! mmmmmmm. I never had any problem with DVDs....but I was only bringing maybe a dozen at a time and always via Hong Kong. I bring back tea, software, camera equipment is sometimes cheap, and next time a large suitcase packed with a small chinese woman :blink:

Even regulation DVDs, VCDs, and CDs are loads cheaper in China. You don't have to bring back bootlegs. I never had a problem and I am not even blonde :blink:

I usually take them out of the package and put them in a magazine (carry case) before I put them in my luggage.

I like to bring back old style Shanghai advertising posters for soaps and shoes and make up. They make really nice gifts and look great framed in the bathroom or guest room.

long

First you you have to worry about the power.. it's probably 220v.

Second, you can buy this in the US for about $45.

Whether you try Radio Shack or the internet as a search, you want:

CyberHome CH-DVD-300.

It will play DVD, VCD, CD, MPEG, JPG, NTSC, PAL.

There's a 'hack' way to change the Region from 0-6. (they must set them prior to shipping to different countries).

I brought back many movies, some of which would not play in my Panasonic DVD player.. but they play on my CyberHome...

Sears has them too. Just check the manual to see that they play what you need. VCD is important for me as it is common in China and friends send me things on that.

I am looking at several VHS/DVD Player/Recorders at Sears. They play all the formats plus you can transfer your old VHS collection to DVD as well as record from the TV on DVD. Those are more pricey, in the 250-370 range.

I think we had a region code problem on the Panasonic player. It didn't play the audio track for some of the DVDs from the U.S. The man it was bought from came out and made everything honky dory. Part of that Chinese service people have talked about in another thread.

Tea Pots

Tea

Books

Movies & cds are ok in personal cd carrier

Clothes Clothes Clothes ( the fashion in China to my surprise is pretty trendy even compared to Londonor Paris )

Pickles ( served in breakfast )

Dry meat/ sea food

Dry soup from maggi or knorr

Spices & barbecue sauce

chillie paste sauce ( korean style )

I think that would be ok for a while then she will need to go back to refill your stocks _ hehehe

Tea Pots

Tea

Books

Movies & cds are ok in personal cd carrier

Clothes Clothes Clothes ( the fashion in China to my surprise is pretty trendy even compared to Londonor Paris )

Pickles ( served in breakfast )

Dry meat/ sea food

Dry soup from maggi or knorr

Spices & barbecue sauce

chillie paste sauce ( korean style )

I think that would be ok for a while then she will need to go back to refill your stocks _ hehehe

You cannot import food products, like fruits or veggies. I think this would extend to pickles and jarred chilli sauce or bbq sauce.