AOS Confusion

Guest Gene

We have filed the I-485 AOS and the I-765 EAD through the Chicago Lockbox. Both NOA1's came within a week. The 485 has a blurb about Fingerprinting and Biometrics and the 765 just a blurb about Biometrics. And just to confuse me a little more my son recieved NOA1's for his I-485 and I-130. The 485 having a blurb about Biometrics.

The blurb being to make an appointment with the local USCIS Service Center by calling the USCIS 800 Customer Service number.

Is this an appointment for the Just the Fingerprints and Biometrics? Or will this involve the interveiw for AOS also?

Thanks Trigg,

I thought they were one in the same, but what made me question it is that my sons(11yo) 485 said to schedule an appointment for Biometrics, everything that I had read said if under 14yo no need for fingerprints.

I guess I will just call in the morning to make an appointment to go down there and get jerked around some more, only after standing in line for three hours though :wub:

The game continues :wub:

Is this an appointment for the Just the Fingerprints and Biometrics? Or will this involve the interveiw for AOS also?

This is just for the fingerprints. I also called the 800 number to make the appointment. They gave me the appointment in about a week. It took about 2 hrs when my wife did it in Boston. The AOS interview will be a later date.

My main concern at this time is the EAD, she wants to work. I am hoping the AOS interveiw doesn't happen or we can delay it until after our two year anniversary.

My main concern at this time is the EAD, she wants to work. I am hoping the AOS interveiw doesn't happen or we can delay it until after our two year anniversary.

The EAD should take about 3 months (for my wife's case). I don't know why you don't want the AOS interview to be sooner. The EAD is only good for 1 year and you supposed to renew it 6 months before it expires. Once you pass the AOS interview, you can get the temp green card and you don't need to renew the EAD anymore. EAD is not cheap.

I don't know why you don't want the AOS interview to be sooner.

I assumed that if we adjust status after we have been married for two year her visa would adjust from a K-3 to an IR-1, if I am totaly misguided please let me know..it wouldn't be the first time

I assumed that if we adjust status after we have been married for two year her visa would adjust from a K-3 to an IR-1, if I am totaly misguided please let me know..it wouldn't be the first time

Sorry. You are a K3, not a K1.

Sorry. You are a K3, not a K1.

No sorry needed, a K-3 can do that but a K-1 can not? :rolleyes:

Thanks Carl and Dean

As a side note I just talked to USCIS customer service, actualy talked to someone who apeared to understand the system. I was confused as to why they were asking for my 11 yo son to make a Biometrics appointment. I thought Biometrics and Fingerprints were one in the same, but Biometrics is a digital photograph. They are also asking for a Biometrics appointment on my wifes I-765 EAD. Just thought I would pass that along. It actualy makes a little more sense now :P

Thanks Carl and Dean

As a side note I just talked to USCIS customer service, actualy talked to someone who apeared to understand the system. I was confused as to why they were asking for my 11 yo son to make a Biometrics appointment.  I thought Biometrics and Fingerprints were one in the same, but Biometrics is a digital photograph. They are also asking for a Biometrics appointment on my wifes I-765 EAD. Just thought I would pass that along. It actualy makes a little more sense now :P

When we did the biometrics thing it was electronic fingerprints and a picture. Both are the same under the category of biometrics-meaning life measurement.

Thanks Carl and Dean

As a side note I just talked to USCIS customer service, actualy talked to someone who apeared to understand the system. I was confused as to why they were asking for my 11 yo son to make a Biometrics appointment.  I thought Biometrics and Fingerprints were one in the same, but Biometrics is a digital photograph. They are also asking for a Biometrics appointment on my wifes I-765 EAD. Just thought I would pass that along. It actualy makes a little more sense now :unsure:

When we did the biometrics thing it was electronic fingerprints and a picture. Both are the same under the category of biometrics-meaning life measurement.

Thats what confused me Trigg, I couldn't figure out why they would be asking for fingerprints for my 11 yo son. And why on the AOS for my wife it says to schedule an appointment for Fingerprinting and Biometrics and on my sons it says to schedule an appointment for Biometrics. So I am guessing the Biometrics is the picture part.

Thanks Carl and Dean

As a side note I just talked to USCIS customer service, actualy talked to someone who apeared to understand the system. I was confused as to why they were asking for my 11 yo son to make a Biometrics appointment.  I thought Biometrics and Fingerprints were one in the same, but Biometrics is a digital photograph. They are also asking for a Biometrics appointment on my wifes I-765 EAD. Just thought I would pass that along. It actualy makes a little more sense now :unsure:

I too just got off the phone with USCIS customer service as we just received our NOA's on the I-485, and I-765. We are also doing the K-3! It was a very nice lady on the phone who asked to speak with my wife to verify that she knew I was making this appointment! She then asked for the ASC Codes on both letters, and the applicants "A" number. After she verified my wife's birthdate, she proceeded to schedule the appointment. The earliest was in the last week of May, and she said whatever was convenient for us. We made it on the following Friday which is the 3rd of June. The appointments were spread out in hour intervals.

This will be in Memphis Tn. about 177 miles from our home. :P

Items she said bring:

(1) Photo ID.... Passport

(2) Letter we received, (I-797C NOA)

(3) Any other items pertaining to this case which I could leave in the car! "You never know what they may ask for so be prepared"! :rolleyes: